Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder Crash

Old 03-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
^ I couldn’t agree more. I love my Spyder, and one reason I’m not tempted to trade up should the new one have a 4.0 is because the 3.8 has more than enough power for my street use.

I suspect I’d enjoy driving an MX-5 Miata on the street just about as much as my Spyder. It’s about being able to toss a light car into turns that I enjoy most.

The sound and the tossability make this Spyder so perfect to me. I love my 997 daily driver, but it isn’t nearly as confidence inspiring in turns as the Spyder.
‘Agree with the assessment, I’ve always had a problem buying the same car twice just to have the newer model. The Spyder has more abilities than just speed being a key attribute. I’m a believer in too much speed the car is not fun for regular driving. I hated to sell my RS but it’s only fun on the track or above the legal limit. Work and travel relieved me of my track time ........so my cars are now for person weekend enjoyment with friends and family.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:04 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787

‘Agree with the assessment, I’ve always had a problem buying the same car twice just to have the newer model. The Spyder has more abilities than just speed being a key attribute. I’m a believer in too much speed the car is not fun for regular driving. I hated to sell my RS but it’s only fun on the track or above the legal limit. Work and travel relieved me of my track time ........so my cars are now for person weekend enjoyment with friends and family.
Absolutely. Porsche set out to make a ballsy lightweight road machine with the Spyder, not a track weapon. I just don't think any more power is needed to deliver enjoyable road performance. Only thing I wish is either Michelin made the Cup 2 for the Spyder or the wheels were the same size as the GT4 so i could mount correct size Michelin Cup 2s.

At least Porsche saw to making the Spyder lighter than normal Cayman/Boxster, opposite of what Porsche did with the 991 cabrio and targa.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Absolutely. Porsche set out to make a ballsy lightweight road machine with the Spyder, not a track weapon. I just don't think any more power is needed to deliver enjoyable road performance. Only thing I wish is either Michelin made the Cup 2 for the Spyder or the wheels were the same size as the GT4 so i could mount correct size Michelin Cup 2s.

At least Porsche saw to making the Spyder lighter than normal Cayman/Boxster, opposite of what Porsche did with the 991 cabrio and targa.
Cup 2’s for street my option is a waste and they really are not the safe in the rain due to the lack or tread. My RS in the rain on the interstate was not fun bobbing around.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:20 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Cup 2’s for street my option is a waste and they really are not the safe in the rain due to the lack or tread. My RS in the rain on the interstate was not fun bobbing around.
Perhaps. I have them on my other car and drive them daily with no issues. I can see your point on some Porsche wheel/tire widths, especially on 911s where far more than Cup 2s will have issues in the wet. My Spyder is driven on nice days only, so I don't share the same concern.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:02 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Last summer I passed a RS on an interstate while driving my wife's Audi S8. I was doing the speed limit since it was raining. I'd estimate that the RS was going at least 20 MPH under the speed limit, and judging by the look on the driver's face, he wasn't enjoying his ride.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fast1
Last summer I passed a RS on an interstate while driving my wife's Audi S8. I was doing the speed limit since it was raining. I'd estimate that the RS was going at least 20 MPH under the speed limit, and judging by the look on the driver's face, he wasn't enjoying his ride.
I know the feeling the tread is very limited, and doesn’t clear water well, and hydroplaning occurres. I was out with friends, and got caught in a down pour not fun.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I suspect I’d enjoy driving an MX-5 Miata on the street just about as much as my Spyder. It’s about being able to toss a light car into turns that I enjoy most.
You would. The Miata is a riot. Every enthusiast should own a Miata at some point. *Any* Miata.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:58 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
You would. The Miata is a riot. Every enthusiast should own a Miata at some point. *Any* Miata.
Or a 987.2 Spyder, which IMO is the perfect car as it is slightly under powered and you have really drive it to get the power out. It's there, just not gobs of it in the lower RPMs.

Ps. And I left the world of the 911 Twin Turbo where there was a TON of power and after a few times of giving it the goose I lost interest.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:25 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. A point a good friend of mine found out the hard way unfortunately as he destroyed his 2016 911 GT3 on a rainy day as he aquaplaned off the road.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:35 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Most scary drive I ever had was returning 120 miles from a three day track event in my Lotus Elise on Yoko AO48's in the rain. I literally couldn't go faster than 45 without feeling like I was floating along. Had to pull off I-94 and take side roads to get home.

Compared to R compounds, the Cups I had on a Porsche weren't too bad in light rain. They are actually fine on a wet track too. The problem with them as a daily is that they are more fragile. They weigh several pounds less than most other similar tires because they have less belt material, I assume. I had one tear to shreds through the sidewall on a piece of road debris that didn't look particularly nasty.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:07 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Boy this thread has gone north. It was already south to begin with lol. Although if the thread subject Spyder owner is watching this thread, he's probably happy it's turned into a tire thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Crash