Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder Crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 08:02 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D

What would you all do if it came out that the Spyder had a mechanical failure? What then? Would you come on here and apologize? Probably not, you would probably claim some other reason to lynch the dude.
Didn't catch this ninja edit in my original response. What mechanical failure, within reason, could have led to this? The "gas pedal got stuck" thing? Is that REALLY what's holding you up? Come on dude. Did you own a Toyota previously?

While usually I'd be on your side saying we don't have the whole story- this video TELLS the whole story. This is OVERWHELMING evidence. I've been asking the whole time for something, anything that could lend any credibility to your claim that we're jumping to any sort of unreasonable conclusion.So far you've offered "mechanical failure" and "hydroplaning"; neither of which is reasonable IMO. I've asked if you can think of anything else that we need to draw to a more comprehensive conclusion. For me, I've said already the video is enough. Other folks posted more links with more details. You still want to stand on your soapbox screaming "DUE PROCESS".

Again, usually I'd be the first to proclaim that this is how fake news works; people jumping to conclusions without enough supporting evidence. But this is actually an example to the contrary. This is WILLFUL IGNORANCE in the face of FACTUAL EVIDENCE.

Anyway, agree to disagree. The only thing I'll concede at this point as far as whether or not I have a "problem" is that I still don't think this guy would have had an opportunity to get into custody unscathed if he hit my kid.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:28 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Didn't catch this ninja edit in my original response. What mechanical failure, within reason, could have led to this? The "gas pedal got stuck" thing? Is that REALLY what's holding you up? Come on dude. Did you own a Toyota previously?

While usually I'd be on your side saying we don't have the whole story- this video TELLS the whole story. This is OVERWHELMING evidence. I've been asking the whole time for something, anything that could lend any credibility to your claim that we're jumping to any sort of unreasonable conclusion.So far you've offered "mechanical failure" and "hydroplaning"; neither of which is reasonable IMO. I've asked if you can think of anything else that we need to draw to a more comprehensive conclusion. For me, I've said already the video is enough. Other folks posted more links with more details. You still want to stand on your soapbox screaming "DUE PROCESS".

Again, usually I'd be the first to proclaim that this is how fake news works; people jumping to conclusions without enough supporting evidence. But this is actually an example to the contrary. This is WILLFUL IGNORANCE in the face of FACTUAL EVIDENCE.

Anyway, agree to disagree. The only thing I'll concede at this point as far as whether or not I have a "problem" is that I still don't think this guy would have had an opportunity to get into custody unscathed if he hit my kid.
You still keep missing my point. I’m not actually suggesting this is mechanical failure, or some oil on the road, or hydroplaning. I’m only giving other examples that could cause someone to go crashing into a crowd of people. That video DOES NOT show the cause, only the result, of what may or may not (maybe he planned to hit people?) happened.

Because we don’t know what happened, yet, we look like a holes sitting around speculating like we actually know what went down and then what sort of punishment this guy deserves.

Fortunately for Spyderman, none of us will be on his jury.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:12 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

The wannabe gods, Mods, deleted it. Their forum, their rules.

Actually it was because you insulted someone including his family.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Interesting how that term's definition varies from marque to marque. A poser with a civic probably has a ludicrously large wing, tach, and ill-placed stickers and hubcab covers.

A poser with a Porsche Spyder apparently has green accents and a BGB stroker kit putting ~500hp to the wheels if Jalopnik comment section hearsay is to be believed.

To me, that piece of information makes all of this make a bit more sense, and a lot more pathetic.
Power is nothing without control. The best way to make something quicker is to increase brake performance. But in poser world it's all about power and aesthetics.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:45 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

This pic is revealing. Owner parks in the zone so handicapped people can freely get in and out of their cars, not to mention he's slightly in the handicapped spot as well. So even if he's handicapped which I highly doubt, this is an example of an entitled attitude and the belief one can do whatever one wishes without consequences. Who here has ever parked their car as such? I haven't in my 40 years of licensed driving. And before anyone goes ballistic about handicapped anything, I'm a 90% disabled vet and could legally park in that spot except I couldn't fit my car in it thanks to he and his entitled belief.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
This pic is revealing. Owner parks in the zone so handicapped people can freely get in and out of their cars, not to mention he's slightly in the handicapped spot as well. So even if he's handicapped which I highly doubt, this is an example of an entitled attitude and the belief one can do whatever one wishes without consequences. Who here has ever parked their car as such? I haven't in my 40 years of licensed driving. And before anyone goes ballistic about handicapped anything, I'm a 90% disabled vet and could legally park in that spot except I couldn't fit my car in it thanks to he and his entitled belief.
I don't think the Porsche is parked in a parking space.The diagonal lines indicate space reserved for access.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:19 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
I don't think the Porsche is parked in a parking space.The diagonal lines indicate space reserved for access.
I disagree. He's in the space enough to keep a person who can legally park there from parking there. Plus those diagonal lines are there to define the space intended for those needing more room to exit and enter their vehicle than typical parking spaces allow. Would be classic if someone who is allowed to park there pulled in within centimeters of the Spyder.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:37 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

You still keep missing my point. I’m not actually suggesting this is mechanical failure, or some oil on the road, or hydroplaning. I’m only giving other examples that could cause someone to go crashing into a crowd of people. That video DOES NOT show the cause, only the result, of what may or may not (maybe he planned to hit people?) happened.

Because we don’t know what happened, yet, we look like a holes sitting around speculating like we actually know what went down and then what sort of punishment this guy deserves.

The point is that you look like an a hole trying to argue that just because we don’t have complete information, we cannot draw some reasonable conclusions about the Spyder drivers level of db-ness.

You do realize that this is the internet and not a court of law?
Old 03-24-2018, 01:18 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by BryanCO

The point is that you look like an a hole trying to argue that just because we don’t have complete information, we cannot draw some reasonable conclusions about the Spyder drivers level of db-ness.

You do realize that this is the internet and not a court of law?
Good point.We are discussing the morality of the driver and not making a legal determination. If he has the money to hire a top lawyer, chances are that he'll be acquitted. There are times when there is no defense, so the big buck lawyer invents one. I recall reading a few years ago where a Texas judge decided not to send a teenager from a well-off family to prison after he killed four people while driving drunk. The judge made her ruling after hearing from a psychologist who claimed that the 16-year-old boy suffered from “affluenza,” a term used to describe psychological problems that can afflict children of privilege.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:43 AM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I really can't understand how anyone can see this video and feel like the driver is defensible in any way whatsoever.

It was a clear day, what circumstances do you think would have led to how he could have "hydroplaned"? ANY reasonably capable driver traveling at a normal rate of speed should be expected to be able to control a car well enough to not go veering off into a crowd.

Unless you are really stretching the limits of imagination to invent some sort of context as to why he may have had to swerve INTO A CROWD to avoid a collision with an unstable nuclear reactor, I'm really curious as to how you came to this conclusion.
^^^
This was a horrific accident. What I also found so disturbing is how the driver just got out of the vehicle, immediately turned & walked away! It looked like a couple guys took notice of that & began chasing him, although not immediately b/c bystanders were most likely shocked for a moment.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:27 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
^^^
This was a horrific accident. What I also found so disturbing is how the driver just got out of the vehicle, immediately turned & walked away! It looked like a couple guys took notice of that & began chasing him, although not immediately b/c bystanders were most likely shocked for a moment.
Don't think he gave a thought to helping the victims, and I also saw the couple of bystanders pursuing him.

Last edited by fast1; 03-24-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:17 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

I wouldn't be so hard on him. Like my 5 year old used to say... maybe he's just stupid.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Ok we're done here. Someone else pointed out a few posts back that you're acting like this conversation will determine this guy's fate, when in reality it's just a few posts on a message board. I wouldn't be surprised if he did somehow get a slap on the wrist but that's another conversation.

I would have been interested in what you posted that the mods deleted. Yet apparently I'm the one with the "problem".

Power is nothing without control. The best way to make something quicker is to increase brake performance. But in poser world it's all about power and aesthetics.
That's the thing; I've been on a kick for several years now where I have just not been interested in big power. I've actually had a few enthusiast buddies of mine call me out on it, and several even suggest I made a huge mistake "downgrading" to a Boxster GTS from an M4; I'd have been better off slapping some headers and a tune on the M4 and shooting for 500whp. I used to be all about it but now I'm just wholly uninterested.

To be clear, I still think big power can be tremendously fun and even safe for those who like the thrill of acceleration. I actually live about 20 minutes away from a fully competent 1/4 mile dragstrip but could just never find the motivation to actually head out there on a Friday night and pay $25 to make a couple passes. I'm not completely sure why because I used to live for that about 10-12 years ago (when I had slower cars)... so would actually celebrate folks who decided to go that route. Or the guys who want to pull on GT3s and ZR1s in the straights.

But having that much power exclusively for the street? I just don't get it. I've talked to several people across a variety of marques that lust after huge power, and never intend to use it at the track. I have to question when exactly they think they'll actually use that power. I feel like this guy with the Spyder is all of those guys. He has more money than sense, buys a nice sports car and somehow feels like it isn't fast enough, so he effectively creates his own "Carrera GT" scenario. Combine a car that was probably already well beyond his limits in stock form, a dramatic increase in power, and an opportunity to show it off? Sounds like a recipe for disaster, which is exactly what happened.c

So I'm beginning to think that maybe these power junky guys are the worst type of poser?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:53 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

^ I couldn’t agree more. I love my Spyder, and one reason I’m not tempted to trade up should the new one have a 4.0 is because the 3.8 has more than enough power for my street use.

I suspect I’d enjoy driving an MX-5 Miata on the street just about as much as my Spyder. It’s about being able to toss a light car into turns that I enjoy most.

The sound and the tossability make this Spyder so perfect to me. I love my 997 daily driver, but it isn’t nearly as confidence inspiring in turns as the Spyder.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:07 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

So I'm beginning to think that maybe these power junky guys are the worst type of poser?
It's an addiction I'm glad I don't have. I've always believed you buy the power you want versus modifying to get there. Assuming new cars are perfectly balanced (engineered) to deliver the right handling, braking, and power for the chassis by design, anytime you modify you introduce imbalance to the equation. Power is always at the expense of economy too. Reducing weight is perhaps a better way to approach increased performance over more engine power. Reduced weight affects the car 100% of the time while in motion. Increased power does not. It's one thing to fix a flaw in a car, smooth out the power delivery, add some exhaust noise, but when you set out to measurably increase power imbalance sets in. I have a bigger issue with form over function. Extreme lowering comes to mind. When people gladly degradate the suspension to change the look of a car that makes no sense to me. These days I'm an advocate of leaving modern cars bone stock. The only think I will modify is tire choice.

It's really too bad the trend in modern cars generation to generation is bigger, heavier, more power, and similar economy. I'd rather the car stay roughly the same size, power, and economy and get lighter and lighter with each generation. The other trend I wish wasn't a trend is the obsession to keep making wheel diameter larger. I remember when 14" wheels were considered large. I think 18" is as large as they ever needed to go for performance cars.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 03-25-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Crash