Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder Crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:01 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
After reading the thread and knowing so many folks were injured, I didn't even consider viewing the video. Though at fault, the driver obviously had no intention to hurt anyone IMHO and hopefully he and everyone reading this will learn something and think twice about turning off the nannies or Take some driving lessons! I want to do that at the Porsche Center here in SOCAL.
Not disagreeing but he deserves whatever pain comes his way. His behavior was intentional, planned and executed. He didn't leave room for any contingencies. He also continued with the maneuver after it started going sideways (literally). Shows his priority was to not be embarrassed as had he aborted the slide he would have looked like he couldn't control his own car and we couldn't have that. Anyone notice the lime green accents all over the car? He's a poser. I'm sure he looks like a Porsche billboard everywhere he goes. Hoping he opts for another brand at this point. Assuming he can drive legally and can afford a car & insurance. If not, oh well.

We've all done stupid things we wish we could do over. Hopefully those are rare moments. Like all the overaggressive drivers out there, I'm thinking this guy believes he's entitled to do whatever he wants regardless of the impact to others. Hopefully that's past tense now.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:07 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Stupid is as stupid does.

Most of us can drive away from a C&C, car show, or other gathering without having to show off. And those who can't resist need to own any outcomes, foreseen or not, intended or not.

So, yeah, running into 11 people deserves some public shaming, in addition to whatever legal consequences fall on his head.
fully concur
Old 03-23-2018, 03:29 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
I see a lot of vigilante justice lust going on in here.
I'm still wondering why that bothers you more than driving into a crowd of people to show off? Especially in light of all the added context that's been introduced. This guy's driving record was world class douchebag. Then there's also this:

Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Not disagreeing but he deserves whatever pain comes his way. His behavior was intentional, planned and executed. He didn't leave room for any contingencies. He also continued with the maneuver after it started going sideways (literally). Shows his priority was to not be embarrassed as had he aborted the slide he would have looked like he couldn't control his own car and we couldn't have that. Anyone notice the lime green accents all over the car? He's a poser. I'm sure he looks like a Porsche billboard everywhere he goes. Hoping he opts for another brand at this point. Assuming he can drive legally and can afford a car & insurance. If not, oh well.

We've all done stupid things we wish we could do over. Hopefully those are rare moments. Like all the overaggressive drivers out there, I'm thinking this guy believes he's entitled to do whatever he wants regardless of the impact to others. Hopefully that's past tense now.
Interesting how that term's definition varies from marque to marque. A poser with a civic probably has a ludicrously large wing, tach, and ill-placed stickers and hubcab covers.

A poser with a Porsche Spyder apparently has green accents and a BGB stroker kit putting ~500hp to the wheels if Jalopnik comment section hearsay is to be believed.

To me, that piece of information makes all of this make a bit more sense, and a lot more pathetic.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:42 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I retract everything I said.

Those accents are a crime against humanity.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'm still wondering why that bothers you more than driving into a crowd of people to show off? Especially in light of all the added context that's been introduced. This guy's driving record was world class douchebag. Then there's also this:
Was that rhetorical?

Old 03-23-2018, 05:37 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

You ARE over reacting but the MODS have your back so feel free to RANT some more at all that feel differently than you.
Why did you change your original reply?
Old 03-23-2018, 05:54 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Was that rhetorical?

No. Maybe? I don't know.

Dude. I guess I hurt your feelings. That wasn't my point. I really don't understand why you're trying to stick up for this guy, that's all. Stop trying to look any further than that... and yes, please attempt to explain yourself because it is still puzzling. To me the guy really is indefensible from the video alone, but with everything else? I really do hope this guy is in financial ruin and the victims get a nice payday. They're both equally deserved due to this guy's recklessness. (And yeah I also do agree that the crowd egging these guys on isn't helping... but the punishment doesn't fit the crime when a car goes off into them.)

Or don't, it doesn't really matter but I get the sense you're not ready to let it go and I'd like to think we're all civil enough on this board to come to a mutual understanding.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:01 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I retract everything I said.

Those accents are a crime against humanity.
You know... dare I say it? They're not that bad.

Would I do anything like it to my car? Hell no. But... I don't hate them. They match the stitching on the seats.

But... they do seem to be indicative of a certain personality type.

Also, just to be clear... the accents are not the primary douchebag indicator in that photo. If you didn't notice, look again.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:09 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

You know... dare I say it? They're not that bad.

Would I do anything like it to my car? Hell no. But... I don't hate them. They match the stitching on the seats.

But... they do seem to be indicative of a certain personality type.

Also, just to be clear... the accents are not the primary douchebag indicator in that photo. If you didn't notice, look again.
You don't dare say it if you ever want my respect!

I will admit to seeing something like that on a Miata I liked. The ND Clubs with the Brembo package have a lot of extra aero. I'm not a big fan. But one of the guys posted a pic of his Soul Red that had the black aero. He'd done a matching red pinstripe on the outside lip of the aero and it looked really nice. On this Spyder though? No. Just... no.

I noticed the spot, but assumed it was a closed parking lot event.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:19 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
You don't dare say it if you ever want my respect!

I will admit to seeing something like that on a Miata I liked. The ND Clubs with the Brembo package have a lot of extra aero. I'm not a big fan. But one of the guys posted a pic of his Soul Red that had the black aero. He'd done a matching red pinstripe on the outside lip of the aero and it looked really nice. On this Spyder though? No. Just... no.

I noticed the spot, but assumed it was a closed parking lot event.
It's one of those things that at first sight yeah it's gawdy and tacky as hell... but then I saw the seat stitching and was just like well... to each their own. Mild stuff like this to "make it yours" isn't too bad... and then the rumor about this car being stroked out to 500whp and it started to come together. This guy's got way more money than sense (a construction mogul in Alaska apparently), and the picture of him in a handicapped spot is apparently something that helped set up his drift attempt (Cars and coffee are hardly ever closed lot events although some rules can be bent...). I had some downtime today and poked around in comment sections and the Facebook thread that I found that photo in, apparently some people called him out for his parking job and he decidedly to leave, huffing and puffing and drove into a crowd.

This is of course to be taken with a grain of salt... but when you take in all the data points in aggregate it starts to make sense.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:54 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by BryanCO

Why did you change your original reply?
The wannabe gods, Mods, deleted it. Their forum, their rules.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

No. Maybe? I don't know.

Dude. I guess I hurt your feelings. That wasn't my point. I really don't understand why you're trying to stick up for this guy, that's all. Stop trying to look any further than that... and yes, please attempt to explain yourself because it is still puzzling. To me the guy really is indefensible from the video alone, but with everything else? I really do hope this guy is in financial ruin and the victims get a nice payday. They're both equally deserved due to this guy's recklessness. (And yeah I also do agree that the crowd egging these guys on isn't helping... but the punishment doesn't fit the crime when a car goes off into them.)

Or don't, it doesn't really matter but I get the sense you're not ready to let it go and I'd like to think we're all civil enough on this board to come to a mutual understanding.
My issue is that none of us were there, especially YOU, the most outspoken critic of this guy, yet you have the whole bloody thing figured out, and decided. To me, that’s absolute BS, and I call out BS when I see it. Reading over your comments, you have issues.

Im not defending what this guy did, im defending his right to have a fair shake at our USA system. I want to him to pay, fairly, legally and civil, for what he did, nothing more, nothing less.

I understand now why this forum is “known” on other forums. I’ve never seen this sort of Lynch mob mentality before, AND tolerated by the group.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:20 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

My issue is that none of us were there, especially YOU, the most outspoken critic of this guy, yet you have the whole bloody thing figured out, and decided. To me, that’s absolute BS, and I call out BS when I see it. Reading over your comments, you have issues.

Im not defending what this guy did, im defending his right to have a fair shake at our USA system. I want to him to pay, fairly, legally and civil, for what he did, nothing more, nothing less.

I understand now why this forum is “known” on other forums. I’ve never seen this sort of Lynch mob mentality before, AND tolerated by the group.
Maybe this will help you understand. There are very, very few Porsches in the US. When an accident like this happens, all Porsches owners suffer since so many people already have a very negative perception of Porsche owners and incidents like this re-enforce the negative stereotype. So when many of us see incidents like this one, we become outraged. What is not at issue is that the driver is guilty of reckless driving, and I have no reluctance pointing that out. I just pray that none of the injured spectators have any long lasting disabilities.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1
Maybe this will help you understand. There are very, very few Porsches in the US. When an accident like this happens, all Porsches owners suffer since so many people already have a very negative perception of Porsche owners and incidents like this re-enforce the negative stereotype. So when many of us see incidents like this one, we become outraged. What is not at issue is that the driver is guilty of reckless driving, and I have no reluctance pointing that out. I just pray that none of the injured spectators have any long lasting disabilities.
And how do we, the Porsche community, look when we post this mess online? Wait till the rest of the population googles this story,looking for more information, if it even gains traction, only to come upon this thread, seeing this Lynch mod that has formed against the guy.

Instead of finding facts to piece together the accident better than dudebro with a cell phone camera did, they find us talking crap against the guy?

What would you all do if it came out that the Spyder had a mechanical failure? What then? Would you come on here and apologize? Probably not, you would probably claim some other reason to lynch the dude.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:46 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

And how do we, the Porsche community, look when we post this mess online? Wait till the rest of the population googles this story,looking for more information, if it even gains traction, only to come upon this thread, seeing this Lynch mod that has formed against the guy.

Instead of finding facts to piece together the accident better than dudebro with a cell phone camera did, they find us talking crap against the guy?
I actually think this conversation is incredibly civil.

And to think I actually get called a "liberal snowflake" on other forums.

LOL.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Crash