Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder Crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I really can't understand how anyone can see this video and feel like the driver is defensible in any way whatsoever.

It was a clear day, what circumstances do you think would have led to how he could have "hydroplaned"? ANY reasonably capable driver traveling at a normal rate of speed should be expected to be able to control a car well enough to not go veering off into a crowd.

Unless you are really stretching the limits of imagination to invent some sort of context as to why he may have had to swerve INTO A CROWD to avoid a collision with an unstable nuclear reactor, I'm really curious as to how you came to this conclusion.
How about because of the simple fact that speculation as to what happened isn’t a reason to damn someone?

I wasnt aware of the rest of the facts from the day until someone else posted a link to it all. I’ve seen people hit objects in the road and lose control while not being an asshat. Looking at the video that was posted in this thread only shows that he lost control, not what he had done to cause it.

So chill out bro.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:10 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D

How about because of the simple fact that speculation as to what happened isn’t a reason to damn someone?

I wasnt aware of the rest of the facts from the day until someone else posted a link to it all. I’ve seen people hit objects in the road and lose control while not being an asshat. Looking at the video that was posted in this thread only shows that he lost control, not what he had done to cause it.

So chill out bro.

I expect that State laws vary, but in Md the driver would probably be issued a ticket for reckless driving because of the aggressive acceleration. Many prosecutors won't use this charge, however, because it requires proof that the driver acted in with "willful and wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property..." It's not enough to just say, "The driver squealed the tires and the rear of the car fishtailed towards the people on the sidewalk." You have to convince a judge or jury that the driver would have expected the slide and did it anyway. So as offensive as the accident is, a good lawyer will probably get him acquitted.

What I do find unconscionable is that after the accident, the driver walked away and didn't offer any assistance to injured spectators.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:33 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
What I do find unconscionable is that after the accident, the driver walked away and didn't offer any assistance to injured spectators.
A thousand times that. Also reading up on the driver he has a lot of speeding tickets and other traffic violations in other states as well. That and the fact he just walked away like a he didn't give a flying f*#k has not made me think "oh he's a good guy".

Let's face it no one goes to cars and coffee and says I am gonna be that guy who crashes his car. No way the Spyder would react like that if he had the stability control on. So he purposefully turned it off. So that shows he knew what he was doing and the potential consequences that would bring about. He didn't INTEND for the car to lose control and him to not get the control back and hit a bunch of pedestrians. But tires are cold and he's gunning it what do you expect? He damned himself after he just walked away from the car and not appear to give a damn.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:46 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I'll criticize him for everything except his reaction after the fact. He just *accidentally* mowed down a bunch of people and was in shock.

Yes, it was ENTIRELY his fault, but in no way was he intending to maim a bunch of people. Losing one's self to shock in that scenario is not an abnormal reaction, nor a sign of an inability to feel empathy.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I'll criticize him for everything except his reaction after the fact. He just *accidentally* mowed down a bunch of people and was in shock.

Yes, it was ENTIRELY his fault, but in no way was he intending to maim a bunch of people. Losing one's self to shock in that scenario is not an abnormal reaction, nor a sign of an inability to feel empathy.
Glad to see that I’m not the only one that chose not to have a knee jerk reaction of going all Lynch mob on the dude.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:18 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Personally, I was impressed that the car could do so much damage.... reminded me of all the mustang/corvette C&C burnout disasters youtube videos. I was saddened to then read that there were many people injured and that's been on my mind most now. Don't be that guy. I expect more from Porsche Owners.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:46 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I thought the same thing, but after watching a few times, I think he is actually walking back towards the first group of people he hit.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:02 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Glad to see that I’m not the only one that chose not to have a knee jerk reaction of going all Lynch mob on the dude.

So chill out bro.

Nope, this hit a nerve so now I'm gonna be THAT guy.

[rant]

What's to speculate? What other facts do you need? Clear day. Probably over 40 degrees due to people's attire and the top being down. Low posted speed limit based on traffic observed around the scene. Doesn't take a forensic examiner to deduce why the crowd was gathered; to watch and hear the cars. As someone mentioned earlier, we all know the capabilities of the traction control for these cars. And not to mention the precedence set from the dozens of similar videos.

In all honesty, before you got defensive I was seriously wondering if there was some other context that I was missing. Apparently not. Didn't look like he was being chased by anything life-threatening. Wasn't asleep at the wheel (still negligent besides). So abiding by what we as human beings understand about the laws of physics, what object in the road would cause him to careen into a crowd under a reasonable set of circumstances?

I understand that emotion isn't supposed to be a factor in justice. But 11 people were injured. Watch the video again. Look at the bodies flying. I honestly had a hard time believing no one was killed (thankful no one was), and an even harder time that no one suffered a permanent disability. But that's not even the emotional part.

Every victim here suffered equally; they were just standing around, enjoying the cars. No one deserved to be rammed into by a 3000 lb fast-moving object. But according to some of the news clips, among them was an 11 year old girl.

I take my 13 year old son to cars and coffee multiple times a month in the warmer seasons. Fortunately there's a far more responsible crowd.

Maybe you'd call it overreacting, or maybe I actually do have an anger management problem. But all I'll suggest is that I don't think I'd have a controllable emotional reaction if it were my kid that was injured, and I have a micro-reaction anytime I see something like this. And this is the worst one of these I've seen.

Sure he didn't mean to intentionally injure people, but that's what happened. His intent was to show everyone how cool he was driving his car beyond his ability to control it, and the consequences were people got injured. Could have easily been killed. Let it sink in. A child could have lost her life because of this guy's need to show off.

LET IT MARINATE as we walk through the tropes. No first kiss. No graduation day. No college, no walk down the aisle. Let's go full retard: maybe she would have developed a cure for cancer, or been a once in a generation star athlete, or run for president. In any case, a young life ripped away because why?

This douchebag wanted to turn his traction control off and do a burnout in front of a crowd.

So no. This clown doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, and I will convict him based on context.

#sorrynotsorry? What has this guy done to deserve it? Should we all feel sorry for him because he plowed into this crowd through no fault of his own?

[/rant]

I consider myself a reasonable person, and am honestly wondering if I'm overreacting. And I am intentionally being a bit inflammatory, borderline facetious because it's a message board. But it does irritate me that people still aren't willing to acknowledge clear truths in spite of irrefutable evidence.

These people's right to stand there and not be maimed SHOULD interfere with this guy's right to be an idiot.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:52 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Nope, this hit a nerve so now I'm gonna be THAT guy.

[rant]

What's to speculate? What other facts do you need? Clear day. Probably over 40 degrees due to people's attire and the top being down. Low posted speed limit based on traffic observed around the scene. Doesn't take a forensic examiner to deduce why the crowd was gathered; to watch and hear the cars. As someone mentioned earlier, we all know the capabilities of the traction control for these cars. And not to mention the precedence set from the dozens of similar videos.

In all honesty, before you got defensive I was seriously wondering if there was some other context that I was missing. Apparently not. Didn't look like he was being chased by anything life-threatening. Wasn't asleep at the wheel (still negligent besides). So abiding by what we as human beings understand about the laws of physics, what object in the road would cause him to careen into a crowd under a reasonable set of circumstances?

I understand that emotion isn't supposed to be a factor in justice. But 11 people were injured. Watch the video again. Look at the bodies flying. I honestly had a hard time believing no one was killed (thankful no one was), and an even harder time that no one suffered a permanent disability. But that's not even the emotional part.

Every victim here suffered equally; they were just standing around, enjoying the cars. No one deserved to be rammed into by a 3000 lb fast-moving object. But according to some of the news clips, among them was an 11 year old girl.

I take my 13 year old son to cars and coffee multiple times a month in the warmer seasons. Fortunately there's a far more responsible crowd.

Maybe you'd call it overreacting, or maybe I actually do have an anger management problem. But all I'll suggest is that I don't think I'd have a controllable emotional reaction if it were my kid that was injured, and I have a micro-reaction anytime I see something like this. And this is the worst one of these I've seen.

Sure he didn't mean to intentionally injure people, but that's what happened. His intent was to show everyone how cool he was driving his car beyond his ability to control it, and the consequences were people got injured. Could have easily been killed. Let it sink in. A child could have lost her life because of this guy's need to show off.

LET IT MARINATE as we walk through the tropes. No first kiss. No graduation day. No college, no walk down the aisle. Let's go full retard: maybe she would have developed a cure for cancer, or been a once in a generation star athlete, or run for president. In any case, a young life ripped away because why?

This douchebag wanted to turn his traction control off and do a burnout in front of a crowd.

So no. This clown doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, and I will convict him based on context.

#sorrynotsorry? What has this guy done to deserve it? Should we all feel sorry for him because he plowed into this crowd through no fault of his own?

[/rant]

I consider myself a reasonable person, and am honestly wondering if I'm overreacting. And I am intentionally being a bit inflammatory, borderline facetious because it's a message board. But it does irritate me that people still aren't willing to acknowledge clear truths in spite of irrefutable evidence.

These people's right to stand there and not be maimed SHOULD interfere with this guy's right to be an idiot.
You ARE over reacting but the MODS have your back so feel free to RANT some more at all that feel differently than you.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:15 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR

I agree with everything you said. In one of my last accidents, despite being a small accident, I was in shock and didn't know how to handle the situation... Pretty sure none of us can comprehend what is going through the driver's head, he's probably thinking 'Oh my god! I just killed a bunch of people!'.

In the video it shows the driver stepped out of the car and walked back towards the crowd he had just hit. I don't think he was trying to walk away from the scene and run. It's a horrible situation to say the least, I hope no one has to go through such a thing. What he did was reckless and unnecessary especially with so many people around watching. This kind of accidents happen in rally though where there are spectators around the road and if the car goes off... no bueno.

Everyone please be careful on public roads! A moment of fun is not worth a lifetime of regret. That is why we have track days.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:19 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

You ARE over reacting but the MODS have your back so feel free to RANT some more at all that feel differently than you.
But isn't that why we're all here?

All kidding aside, this is a sore subject for me. I'm not 100% sure why as I haven't been directly affected by a similar event, but I do get all high and mighty when I see people misbehaving on the street in 2 ton killing machines.

Originally Posted by sin911
I agree with everything you said. In one of my last accidents, despite being a small accident, I was in shock and didn't know how to handle the situation... Pretty sure none of us can comprehend what is going through the driver's head, he's probably thinking 'Oh my god! I just killed a bunch of people!'.

In the video it shows the driver stepped out of the car and walked back towards the crowd he had just hit. I don't think he was trying to walk away from the scene and run. It's a horrible situation to say the least, I hope no one has to go through such a thing. What he did was reckless and unnecessary especially with so many people around watching. This kind of accidents happen in rally though where there are spectators around the road and if the car goes off... no bueno.

Everyone please be careful on public roads! A moment of fun is not worth a lifetime of regret. That is why we have track days.
This is a reasonable response. I'm not faulting the guy for how he reacted after the fact at all; I'm not sure how a human mind could consume the possibility that an embarrassing choice and subsequent action could have costed actual human life, which I'm pretty sure he had to be thinking. Again I don't think the guy is 100% a dick (I don't think anyone's 100% a dick ), so he had to be freaking out. And spectators at rally stages or any track event assume a level of risk (but especially at rally stages). Cars and coffee should not be considered such a high risk event... although with the evidence mounting, maybe that view deserves some further thought.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:52 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

This is a reasonable response. I'm not faulting the guy for how he reacted after the fact at all; I'm not sure how a human mind could consume the possibility that an embarrassing choice and subsequent action could have costed actual human life, which I'm pretty sure he had to be thinking. Again I don't think the guy is 100% a dick (I don't think anyone's 100% a dick ), so he had to be freaking out. And spectators at rally stages or any track event assume a level of risk (but especially at rally stages). Cars and coffee should not be considered such a high risk event... although with the evidence mounting, maybe that view deserves some further thought.
I think it's called maturity. If it were some 16, 17 year old teenager, the reaction would be what I would expect. I expect a lot more from an adult, but maybe I expect too much. When a mature adult causes injury to another, my expectation is that the first reaction of the driver should be to render aid to the injured. What I saw in the video was an injured person in front of the Porsche and the driver walking slowly towards the rear of his car. Was he walking back there to render aid? Possibly but I doubt it. I suspect that his thoughts were on himself, and the implications the accident will have on his life, especially given what has been revealed about his prior driving record. OTOH if he were mature, he wouldn't have put others at risk with his reckless driving.
So my sympathies go out to those who were injured, and not to the driver who caused the injuries.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:23 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

I see a lot of vigilante justice lust going on in here.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:05 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

After reading the thread and knowing so many folks were injured, I didn't even consider viewing the video. Though at fault, the driver obviously had no intention to hurt anyone IMHO and hopefully he and everyone reading this will learn something and think twice about turning off the nannies or Take some driving lessons! I want to do that at the Porsche Center here in SOCAL.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:53 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Stupid is as stupid does.

Most of us can drive away from a C&C, car show, or other gathering without having to show off. And those who can't resist need to own any outcomes, foreseen or not, intended or not.

So, yeah, running into 11 people deserves some public shaming, in addition to whatever legal consequences fall on his head.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Crash