Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange oil? Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:58 PM
zordinary
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange oil? Is this normal?

I've made a post before about this but something else different came up this time. It was in storage about 3 month .I have been driving it for about almost a month now
story: it was a Brand new Cayman GTS with the 3.4 flat 6. It needed a quart of oil topped up every 3 thousand kilometers. I've had 3 top ups before the oil change. It is currently at 13k km, with oil change at 12k km. I am not sure if the same consumption pattern will exist.

Previously, the vehicle no matter how I drove it will always have a oil temperature of 195F or 91C. May range up to 95C(203) even in sport plus on a hot summer day. That temperature almost doesn't budge too much even if I drive it hard and it had VERY VERY RARELY gone past 100C without it being a spirited drive.

However lately, the oil fluctuates fairly common. Goes anywhere from 91C (195F) to even up to 110(230F) for mundane city driving where I don't go hard, maybe hit past 5k rpm a couple times at most.
But it fluctuates a lot more dynamically. The temperature would go from 91C to 108 C with just going from a stop to speed limit (roughly 50mph or 80kmph).
even just the brief dozen or so seconds taking a left turn, the temperatures would then drop from 108 to 91 again.

It has never done this before the oil change.
even during the first two weeks after oil change, it did not do this.

The oil should be the factory mobile 1 (mixed synthetic and thin?)

​​​dealership tells me they can't find anything wrong with the car.

I do not particularly drive spiritedly, and I take about 20km per trim, so it's not exactly long distances, but engine always gets up to temperature for a solid 15minutes before I turn it off regardless so I'm not sure if cold drives have too much to do with it.

Another interesting thing I've noticed is that other owners have oil gone up to speed in matter of 10 minutes. Mine takes anywhere from 10 to even 20 minutes to reach operating temperature of 91C(195F). Some tells me it may potentially be the engine thermos that's not letting the engine warm up as fast which is causing the oil consumption and causing these temperature variations at a very fast and dynamic level in matter of seconds

​​​​​

What do you guys think? I'm by no means a home mechanic. I've brought concern to dealership, they scanned the car with their little devices and computers, said nothing is wrong from those digital devices at least. I have also started a consumption test. Which started at oil change, and will go measure again as soon as I need oil. Hopefully the trend of 3k km per quarter will stop. Or maybe I need thicker oil?

13 thousand km on the dial

1st oil top off at 3k km
2nd at 6k km
3rd at 9k km
Then it was oil change at 12k km
It has been about 1k km since oil change

Update: it goes to 100 celsius plus even during cruising where previously it would sit at 91 degrees Celsius .

Last edited by zordinary; 03-17-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Have you had an oil analysis done to see if there’s an increased level of fuel and or metal particulates in the oil? I would start there to see if there’s an internal issue that the dealer isn’t willing to let on or investigate.

I’ve been running my 3.4L for 7 years now and although I don’t drive it that much between oil changes (3000 miles) I have never seen a measurable change in oil levels during one year of operation. I don’t baby my engine, I drive them as they were meant to be driven. I had an analysis done and would be happy to share it with you for comparison purposes if it helps.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:52 PM
zordinary
Intermediate

Hello!
not yet, I did not think there would be a need if everyone or a good amount of people have similar results since dealer gave me the green light anyways.

Update: even cruising pushes oil temp to 100 Celsius where it was previously 91 celsius.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Jerry in Canada
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2013 Boxster 2.7 oil temps vary a fair amount. If it is left in non sport it will run to about 106C in normal (not real hot) weather. In sport mode it says close to 90C and will run up to about 97C if pushed a bit. Once on a track day it got up to about 120C after a 20 minute run in sport +. My indy mechanic uses liquid moly oil and I noticed that the oil temps are somewhat lower with the moly oil vs mobil one.

My car takes about 15 to 20 minutes for the oil to reach 100C in suburban driving in normal mode.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:30 PM
zordinary
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jerry in Canada
My 2013 Boxster 2.7 oil temps vary a fair amount. If it is left in non sport it will run to about 106C in normal (not real hot) weather. In sport mode it says close to 90C and will run up to about 97C if pushed a bit. Once on a track day it got up to about 120C after a 20 minute run in sport +. My indy mechanic uses liquid moly oil and I noticed that the oil temps are somewhat lower with the moly oil vs mobil one.

My car takes about 15 to 20 minutes for the oil to reach 100C in suburban driving in normal mode.

Lovely! I believe that's similar to my car as well. I think if I went with thicker oil the temps should drop a few degrees.
It's just strange that before the oil change, the oil temp never ever budges. It seems like the fluctuating temp is what everyone else had, so I suppose what I had previously was actually the abnormal occurrence instead?

Quick Reply: Strange oil? Is this normal?