Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Glove box removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 981 Glove box removal?

Hi, I've searched in here but cannot find a documented process for how to remove glovebox - does anyone know of or have instructions please? Thanks! -Dom
Old 03-15-2018, 10:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

See here from Flickroll:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1052...gts-today.html
Old 03-15-2018, 11:47 AM
kyflatsixfan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Hi, I've searched in here but cannot find a documented process for how to remove glovebox - does anyone know of or have instructions please? Thanks! -Dom
Dom: According to Porsche's TSI site, the procedures for R&R of the glove compartment involves the following:

WM681419: r&r center console cover (right side)
WM683019: r&r cup holder
WM701619: r&r dashboard trim panel-passenger side
WM961519: r&r footwell light (right side)
WM912219: r&r multimedia interface
WM681519: r&r glove compartment

If you have a good relationship with a Dealer or Indy that has PIWIS TSI access, they could print off these detailed instructions w/pictures that would walk you through the process.

Or there may be forum and/or youtube instructions that I'm not aware of.......

HTH's
Old 03-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kyflatsixfan
Dom: According to Porsche's TSI site, the procedures for R&R of the glove compartment involves the following:

WM681419: r&r center console cover (right side)
WM683019: r&r cup holder
WM701619: r&r dashboard trim panel-passenger side
WM961519: r&r footwell light (right side)
WM912219: r&r multimedia interface
WM681519: r&r glove compartment

If you have a good relationship with a Dealer or Indy that has PIWIS TSI access, they could print off these detailed instructions w/pictures that would walk you through the process.

Or there may be forum and/or youtube instructions that I'm not aware of.......

HTH's
This is perfect - what's the "TSI" site, is that publicly accessible? Thanks again for the response! - Dom
Old 03-15-2018, 06:41 PM
kyflatsixfan

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
This is perfect - what's the "TSI" site, is that publicly accessible? Thanks again for the response! - Dom
Dom: The TSI is a pay-as-you go technical website that allows users to view/print a "TON" of information on our cars! Designed for independent workshops; and also available for "Car Club Members". Don't think they do any background check or verification. I belong to PCA, and entered that in my info. If your in the USA, and want to subscribe, MAKE SURE you access the portal from this US site:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...freeworkshops/

Just scroll down to the Technical Service Information link, and click to access the PIWIS TSI site. Sign up for an account, and wait for an email confirmation with pass code. There's a pricing guide that gives all the options. If you know what your looking for, the hour session can accomplish a lot!

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:28 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

From Flickroll (I waited to post this b/c I wanted his permission), these instructions are SPOT on. The only thing I would add/amend is that there was NO amount of "pulling/yanking" that would release cup holders for me. I found that there are two clips on top that are holding them in place - release those with a flat plastic pry tool and they will come out easy. Thanks flickroll!! Here are his instructions:

The glove box removal is not too difficult but is time consuming. First you need to remove the right side console leather trim panel. It is held in place by spring clips so you’ll need trim removal tools. Starting at the rear of the panel, pry the panel away from the console, and work your way forward. Stop when you get to about the gear shift and then gently bow it like a banana, aft end farthest away from the console. At this point, with the panel bowed, gently pop the remaining spring clips, Try not to pull the panel toward the door much. Just have the arrachment prongs lightly against the spring clip. Then pull it straight back, while still bowed. There is an attachment arm that will break if you pull the forward end too far to the right. I cover pry points with blue painters tape to prevent marring anything. The panel with the 12v socket should come off too, and unclip the wire to the socket and take the panel out of the car.

Next remove the trim piece to the right of the glovebox using trim tools, and also the end panel cover (the piece that faces the door. I also removed the a/c vent which is held in place be 2 ea. top and bottom spring clips. After it is out of its hole, disconnect the lighting wire.

Now the cup holder has to come out. What I read and what I did is open the cup holder door and tightly grab the holder by the body, and not the door. Then a pretty firm tug will release the cup holder assembly which you can then set aside.

When I did the work I also had the right fuse panel cover removed (the piece with carpet on it), but not sure if it has to come out. You’ll be able to tell by looking. If you take it out, on the forward end pull that end to the center of the car, BUT NOT TOO MUCH. You are releasing 2 plastic Velcro pieces only. If you pull too much toward the center you will break a plastic alignment pin. Now pull the door gasket away from the car in the trim piece area. My car had some gooey black sealant which is difficult to remove so be careful and cover places that are exposed with tape. Then there is a plastic piece on the far right hand side between the A pillar cover and the fuse box panel you are removing. Pry it away at the lower end. Now pull the trim piece straight back and it will release.

Now to the glovebox. First line the area around the glovebox with towels or blankets so that when the glovebox comes out it won’t be damaged by anything. There are 2 torx bolts L&R at the bottom of the glovebox. They are in recessed receptacles and require a female torx socket to remove. Next there are 3 torx screws at the top of the glovebox that have to come out. There are 2 other screws that are the cup holder spring clips. These can stay in, but I took them out to straighten them a little as they were slightly bent when the cup holder assembly came out. Do not lose these as you can’t buy them, they come with the glovebox. Or so I was told by my local dealer parts dept. There are one or two screws under the right trim piece (can’t remener for sure but think there is only one. Also, inside the dash where you took the end panel off there is a screw that needs to come out. At this point you have removed all of the glovebox hardware, but the glovebox is basically where it is supposed to be. A gentle pull downward at the opening while supporting the rear of it will release it and you can lay it on the floor. The harness for the glovebox light heeds ro be disconnected. It is at the rear of the glovebox on the right side. You also need to remove the footwell light from the left side. This was not easy because it is in pretty tight, you are working in an awkward position, and the wire from the wire harness is not very long. Once you have released it the glovebox can be removed from the car.

You might be able to skip the console panel removal, but I took it out to avoid damage to it.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:29 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kyflatsixfan
Dom: The TSI is a pay-as-you go technical website that allows users to view/print a "TON" of information on our cars! Designed for independent workshops; and also available for "Car Club Members". Don't think they do any background check or verification. I belong to PCA, and entered that in my info. If your in the USA, and want to subscribe, MAKE SURE you access the portal from this US site:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...freeworkshops/

Just scroll down to the Technical Service Information link, and click to access the PIWIS TSI site. Sign up for an account, and wait for an email confirmation with pass code. There's a pricing guide that gives all the options. If you know what your looking for, the hour session can accomplish a lot!

Good luck!
Thanks for this - will definitely try! -Dom
Old 12-03-2019, 01:14 PM
JT74911
Track Day

I know this is an old thread, but I need help getting the glovebox lid off my 2013 Boxster S. I need to replace the latch and cannot seem to remove the plastic pin (aka Damper Bolt part # 991-552-803-00 https://www.porscheoftampaparts.com/...-00-256677.htm). Also, I cannot find any screws/bolts under the fuzz inside the box in order to remove the cover and get to the latch. The descriptions above do not seem to apply to my glovebox. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the procedures above to remove the glovebox are spot on. Thanks for those.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:37 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 787 Posts

Are we talking about the glovebox in the dashboard directly in front of the passenger seat or the center console storage box?
Old 12-03-2019, 01:44 PM
JT74911
Track Day

Directly in front of the passenger seat.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:58 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JT74911
Directly in front of the passenger seat.
Were you able to remove the lid or the latch on the glove box? You can see two screws that hold the latch in place when you lift the handle. I don't see a way to get to it. One possibility is that Porsche didn't design the latch mechanism to be accessible. I believe the front of the box is glued to the inner portion, which makes it nearly impossible to replace pieces of the latch.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:29 PM
JT74911
Track Day

I purchased a used box off eBay and will use that lid. I've removed one of the plastic pins, aka Damper Bolt, by cutting off the 'squeeze' end and banging it out with a screw driver. I'm sure I can get the others out the same way. I've ordered new pins from my local dealer who says they should arrive in 5 days, which I assume will be the end of next week - Jan 3? I'm trying to connect with a locksmith to see if he can re-key the lock. I see no screws that hold the latch. When I lift the handle, I see what appears to be a rivet in the upper left corner, but no screws. It's a slow painful process which is testing my patience.

I will update as progress is made.

Thanks,
Old 12-24-2019, 03:04 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Below are two photos showing the screw that holds the latch in place. I will experiment with my kid to see how I can get to the latch.

Last edited by Kenith; 12-24-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:43 PM
JT74911
Track Day

Great picture (there is only 1), but I can't tell what type of screw that is. I'll work with mine some more, but interested in what you discover also.

Many thanks.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:34 PM
Kenith
Advanced

I've updated the post with the second picture. I'll post up what I find as well.

Quick Reply: 981 Glove box removal?