Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoQuest Motorsports - 981 Side Intake Screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AutoQuest Motorsports - 981 Side Intake Screen

The Issue

The 981’s side intake ducts have recessed vents that are difficult to see and clean. If not routinely checked, they accumulate large sized rubber/debris blocking the vents. These vents also have relatively large openings that allow a good deal of the smaller rubber/debris to bypass the vents and make their way up the intake to the filters. Both these issues can lead to a significant reduction in airflow over time, reducing the car’s performance.

Our Intake Screens are installed at the entrance of the intake ducts, providing an immediate and significant reduction in the amount of rubber/debris in the intake system clogging the vents and dirtying the filters. Being at the entrance, they are also more convenient to check and clean. This is a great upgrade to the intake system for the street, and very beneficial for those tracking their cars. It also looks fantastic : )

Pricing

$348 per pair

Contact Information

Please feel free to email/call me at my contact information below with any questions or inquiries. It would be a pleasure to work with you to meet your goals, and have you join the growing AutoQuest community : )
Old 03-13-2018, 12:48 PM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

$348 for a pair of grills. Sounds legit.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:50 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 9~factor
$348 for a pair of grills. Sounds legit.
lol
Old 03-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

A short adventure off T13 at Sebring led to quite the blockage in the air ducting on this GT4. Intake Screens going in on Monday : )

Old 04-01-2018, 05:46 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will these fit he 718/982? What colors do you offer?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by abstruse1
Will these fit he 718/982? What colors do you offer?
We haven't tried them in a 718/982 so I cannot confirm nor deny. The only color we have is black, but you could pick out any color you want at Advanced Auto and do a little DIY project. I'd just use some of the thicker, higher temp paint for longevity.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:41 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How do they install? No tools? Any removal or screwing of parts?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:27 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

I just looked at mine and it seems that there is a small splitter between the upper and lower duct that recessed into the black cover piece. It seems as though the mesh intake screen would need to be pinched in the middle to clear it. At least for the 981, maybe the GT4 is different ?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:51 AM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
How do they install? No tools? Any removal or screwing of parts?
I haven't yet created the PDF install guide, but it is a relatively quick job. Once the car is in the air the rear wheels come off, followed by the inner fender cover. Then there are a few screws to undo that allow the side panel to move enough to slide them in place from the rear. Pretty painless : ) If you'd like, I shot a short video on my phone explaining the install using a 981 SPyder on our lift as a prop. If you shoot me a text at 484 883 6197 or an email at john@autoquestms.com I'd be happy to send it your way,

I just looked at mine and it seems that there is a small splitter between the upper and lower duct that recessed into the black cover piece. It seems as though the mesh intake screen would need to be pinched in the middle to clear it. At least for the 981, maybe the GT4 is different ?
If you take a close look at the screen installed in the picture below, you can see that the screen is slid in behind the small splitter in the middle : )

Old 04-04-2018, 11:09 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Are they held in with cable ties? Do I see that in the photo?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:00 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

I took a look at my car and I don't think those will work for the regular Cayman's and Boxsters (except GT4) due to the air inlet splitter that tucks into that bar. The splitter actually inserts into bar and then extends back to the air inlets and the fan. Does the GT4 not have that splitter of the air paths? Does the splitter need to be modified for these to fit?

As I looked at internet photos, this kinda shows what I am getting at. I guess I don't understand how these can fit? Air splitter is the thin piece of plastic in the middle of the photo, latitude across the intake. This splitter inserts into my trim piece.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

I took a look at my car and I don't think those will work for the regular Cayman's and Boxsters (except GT4) due to the air inlet splitter that tucks into that bar. The splitter actually inserts into bar and then extends back to the air inlets and the fan. Does the GT4 not have that splitter of the air paths? Does the splitter need to be modified for these to fit?

As I looked at internet photos, this kinda shows what I am getting at. I guess I don't understand how these can fit? Air splitter is the thin piece of plastic in the middle of the photo, latitude across the intake. This splitter inserts into my trim piece
I hope the email I sent over ended up showing they are indeed the same throughout the 981 line : )

Also, congrats to those who won the silent bid of our adjusters at the Smokies GT charity event this past weekend! It was an amazing event, raising over $160k for the Cystic Fibrosis foundation. I highly recommend getting involved, it is a great cause : )
Old 06-29-2018, 11:14 AM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

These intake screens are in stock and ready to help clean up your intake system : )

Quick Reply: AutoQuest Motorsports - 981 Side Intake Screen