Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

The "sexier" car: 991 C2S Cab or Boxster Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default The "sexier" car: 991 C2S Cab or Boxster Spyder?

My wife and I are having a disagreement. She thinks a 991 C2S cab with all the performance options and a sport design package is a sexier, more distinctive car than the 981 Spyder. I disagree: they have the same engine, the Spyder is 400 lbs lighter, it has the clamshell humps and GT4 front fascia. The reason this has come up: I would rather us get a 981 Spyder, whereas she thinks we should get a 991 cab and throw on a sport design package and wrap. A loaded 991 manual cab can be had in the low 70's now, whereas the Spyder is at least $20k more. She drove a local 991 C2S cab and loved it, and it is priced right.

So, do I get the cab and keep her happy, or hold out for a Spyder? For her, a big part of the car is the exhaust (both would have PSE) and a big part is "presence". She hasn't seen a Spyder in person, and I don't think pics do it justice.

I don't think either "suck" but as a car person, the Spyder calls to me more. The C2S cab is sweet, but the non-car person won't see how cool the build is (7MT/PDCC). The Spyder says something that a 911 cab does not, but am I off here? Should I just listen to the sage "happy wife, happy life" advice?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Spyder all day. There is nothing sexy about the 911 cab. Feminine, yes. Sexy, no.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Spyder without question. I would encourage her to drive the Boxster GTS or something similar that would give her an idea of how the Boxster drives compared to the Cab, that alone should change her mind.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:46 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
So, do I get the cab and keep her happy, or hold out for a Spyder? ..........and a big part is "presence". She hasn't seen a Spyder in person, and I don't think pics do it justice.

...........The Spyder says something that a 911 cab does not, but am I off here? Should I just listen to the sage "happy wife, happy life" advice?
Sounds like you already know why the Spyder is better than C2S Cab. Comes down to convincing your wife. Here are some talking points to make your case. A 911 Cab just does not look right (coming from a hardcore open-top guy)! No 2+2 Cab can look as good as a bespoke Roadster. In particular, a roadster like Spyder! The wind buffeting is more in the Cab; and, the Wind Deflector looks ugly in it. The 7-speed is not as good as the 6. The shifter in Spyder is one of the very best; almost as good as the S2000 (my gold standard). 991.2's is better than 991.1's; still not as good as Spyder's. The engine/exhaust note is more pronounced and felt immediate. You get two trunks! So, she can pack more for road trips. Yes, you can throw stuff in the back seat of Cab; but, they won't be secure. Most people can't tell the difference between different generations of 911s; and, they are high in volume, for the right reasons. But, Spyders are more exclusive. She likes 'presence'? A Spyder has more presence than a 991 Cab. The fact that she hasn't seen one let alone drive, is part of the problem. You got to get her into one; the car will do the rest by itself! The driving dynamics of the Spyder will do the talking! Caveat Emptor: manual top of the Spyder might turn her off! It's not for everyone, though that's another exclusive plus!

Though I am not married, 'happy wife, happy life' is a smart thing to follow. However, you "both" need to be happy! Good luck!
Old 03-12-2018, 05:31 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Spyder hands down! Also based on looks, I would pick a Targa over the Cab.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

IMO the Spyder is one of the best road cars the Porsche has recently made. I have a 2016 CGTS and love it but when i drove my friends Spyder i was convinced I need to get one. The Spyder has the looks, the performance and panache.

As a side note you could be having MUCH worse disagreements with your wife - what Porsche to buy. You’re pretty much going to come out a winner either way. Lol.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:36 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, you're on a Boxster/Cayman Board so the consensus is a foregone conclusion.
Second, if you/she has never owned a 911, get the 911. It won't be your last car and IMHO every car lover (especially Porsche lover) should own the most iconic sports car in history, the 911, once in his/her life.
Last, your wife was with you before this choice and will hopefully be with you long after this choice is just a memory so make her happy. If it turns out to be a mistake let it be hers. LOL

Although I've loved my 2 987s and my GT4 is the most enjoyable and satisfying car Ive owned, I still miss my 993.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
First, you're on a Boxster/Cayman Board so the consensus is a foregone conclusion.
Second, if you/she has never owned a 911, get the 911. It won't be your last car and IMHO every car lover (especially Porsche lover) should own the most iconic sports car in history, the 911, once in his/her life.
Last, your wife was with you before this choice and will hopefully be with you long after this choice is just a memory so make her happy. If it turns out to be a mistake let it be hers. LOL

Although I've loved my 2 987s and my GT4 is the most enjoyable and satisfying car Ive owned, I still miss my 993.
Having owned a number of both platforms, I agree that I prefer the 911. But not a cab 911.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:44 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
My wife and I are having a disagreement. She thinks a 991 C2S cab with all the performance options and a sport design package is a sexier, more distinctive car than the 981 Spyder. I disagree: they have the same engine, the Spyder is 400 lbs lighter, it has the clamshell humps and GT4 front fascia. The reason this has come up: I would rather us get a 981 Spyder, whereas she thinks we should get a 991 cab and throw on a sport design package and wrap. A loaded 991 manual cab can be had in the low 70's now, whereas the Spyder is at least $20k more. She drove a local 991 C2S cab and loved it, and it is priced right.

So, do I get the cab and keep her happy, or hold out for a Spyder? For her, a big part of the car is the exhaust (both would have PSE) and a big part is "presence". She hasn't seen a Spyder in person, and I don't think pics do it justice.

I don't think either "suck" but as a car person, the Spyder calls to me more. The C2S cab is sweet, but the non-car person won't see how cool the build is (7MT/PDCC). The Spyder says something that a 911 cab does not, but am I off here? Should I just listen to the sage "happy wife, happy life" advice?
Spyder. All day every day in that comparison.

And what "wrap" are you talking about?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:03 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with your wife that the 911, even a cabriolet, is the sexier car. The wide, curvy hips and rounded front fender wings on the 991 are much more sensual than those on a Boxster.

Let her win this battle. Than later, get yourself a Boxster Spyder, in addition to the 991. A win-win.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Spyder all day and every day ... twice on Sunday
Old 03-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Can't really add more than what's already been said in favor of the Spyder, but gotta say I really dig your wife! Had to LOL when you said she's on-board with "a 991 C2S cab with all the performance options and a sport design package." Love the fact that she cares, really cares, about what you get and knows enough about the two cars to be a little bit dangerous. Cool lady. Many (not all mind you) just stay out of the process and defer to the gent. She sounds scrappy to me.

Good luck in your you AND your wife's decision!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:03 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Having owned both Boxsters and 911s, the sexier car is without a doubt the one your wife thinks is sexy. Don’t forget, she chose you too, so making a counter point is not doing you any favors, lol.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Having owned both Boxsters and 911s, the sexier car is without a doubt the one your wife thinks is sexy. Don’t forget, she chose you too, so making a counter point is not doing you any favors, lol.
Murphy is 100% correct, but you knew that.
In my house, the 911 cab is called "the bathtub car" because it looks like a bathtub, top up or down.
The Boxster is clearly a purpose built convertible sports car that looks even better with the top down.

Try calling the 911 cab "the bathtub car" for a few weeks, and maybe she relents.
If not, enjoy your bathtub car, it's less important than your day to day living.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Spyder. The Cab, while beautiful, is feminine, the Spyder is not.

Quick Reply: The "sexier" car: 991 C2S Cab or Boxster Spyder?