Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a car with a replacement engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:47 AM
Darel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car with a replacement engine

Hi all,

Looking for a Cayman S with a specific set of options, and I've found one not too far from me. Problem is it's had the engine replaced. This alone doesn't bother me, but I wanted to ask you guys what I need to watch out for if I am buying the car. It's about 2 hours away from me so I haven't seen it in person yet, I am hoping you guys can help me decide if it's worth the drive to go check it out. The info I have so far is that the engine was replaced due to dropping a valve in #5, which then broke the con rod and blew it out through the top of the engine. Seller says that he bought a complete engine "from the manufacturer" at a total cost (with install) of about $25K. Now, obviously I am taking some of this at the seller's word.

I am going to ask for the receipts and full service history on the car, obviously. I have no inherent problem buying a car with a replacement engine (especially if it's a factory replacement) especially if I can use it for a bargaining point, but I want to go into it informed.

The best thing that I think is the fact that the engine was replaced in 2011 and as near as I can tell, has about 40K on it. So it's not like it's a fresh rebuild, or the seller is looking to dump it off or something.

If I am to pull an overrev report, keeping in mind that an overrev could very well be exactly what blew the engine in the first place, will it have been "cleared" when the new engine was installed? If not is there a way to tell if any reported overrev conditions occurred on the old engine or the new engine?

Do you think a replacement engine, assuming it is in good shape, diminishes the value of the car?

I apologize because I haven't actually spoken to the seller yet, I am posting this based on a CL ad, and VIN search. I wanted to get this out there BEFORE I talked to him so I don't miss anything when I do.

Thank you!
Darel
Old 03-15-2018, 12:33 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, a number of GT3's had their engines replaced at the port, some years back to to con rod issues if I recall. Thus, a replacement engine shouldn't be a big deal but go for full docs and who replaced it.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:22 AM
Darel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. My wife's E350 got a new engine at only 3 years old. A select batch had wrist pin machining issues. Stuff happens. I'm more concerned about using it as a bargaining point. I got an initial response back from the seller and he seems like an intelligent, knowledgeable, nonstereotypical Craigslister. He didn't say anything about the engine (only answered a few superficial questions I'd asked before I found the issue) so I sent him a list of my concerns for him to look into. I get the feeling he hasn't had the car that long, the engine was done before he got it and may not have even known about it. We will see how he responds today. He at least seemed to know what an overrev report is, and said he'd work on it. I drive my cars and I'm a pretty decent and enthusiastic wrench too, so for me it's more the ability to use things like the engine and maybe needing a clutch or a water pump as a bargaining point, rather than turning me off completely.

Now, if it turns out the engine had the block patched and was rebuilt by Earl's Furrin' Car and Bait Shop, that's another issue entirely....

Quick Reply: Buying a car with a replacement engine