Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   GT4/Spyder (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder-235/)
-   -   Jerry Seinfeld's take on his 981 Spyder (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder/1056037-jerry-seinfelds-take-on-his-981-spyder.html)

TNine81.510 03-10-2018 04:49 PM

Jerry Seinfeld's take on his 981 Spyder

Running some weekend errands and listening to the latest episode of Spike Feresten's podcast, "Spike's Car Radio." Rumors of the 2019 Spyder and Seinfeld's take on his 981 Spyder are both topics of discussion. (spoiler: Jerry thinks the same way we do about this car)

Tune-in when you have a second or two. The Spyder discussion starts around the ~20:20 mark. https://overcast.fm/+JUAByKoLw

mdork 03-10-2018 05:09 PM

Nice find. Getting anxious for the next Spyder. Hurry up Porsche!

Marine Blue 03-10-2018 06:54 PM

There used to be a video of him on YouTube driving the 987 Spyder but I haven’t been able to find it. Hearing his love for the 981 isn’t surprising although it certainly brings even more validity to everyone’s praise of the 981 Spyder. Based upon the types of Porsches that Jerry owns I definitely respect his opinion, he has a definite lean towards the lighter, less luxurious Porsches with a focus towards the driving experience and not much else.

Viper pilot 03-10-2018 07:39 PM

That was really a great Podcast. Very entertaining!

Maverick787 03-10-2018 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 14860616)
There used to be a video of him on YouTube driving the 987 Spyder but I haven’t been able to find it. Hearing his love for the 981 isn’t surprising although it certainly brings even more validity to everyone’s praise of the 981 Spyder. Based upon the types of Porsches that Jerry owns I definitely respect his opinion, he has a definite lean towards the lighter, less luxurious Porsches with a focus towards the driving experience and not much else.

‘Very interesting to say the least as I sold my 2016 RS and kept the Spyder when I made room for the 458 .....had a hard time letting go.

beetleything 03-10-2018 09:47 PM

Yep he like the lite fun cars....but he has driven LOTSA cars!!

Only1Buck 03-10-2018 10:04 PM

@Afshin I remember the video of the 987 Spyder that Seinfeld was driving he was out with Sam Cabiglio, who takes care of his auto fleet, I looked for the video but was not able to find it either ...

Suicide Jockey 03-10-2018 10:08 PM

Jerry: "I adore, adore, the new Boxster Spyder which is now 2 years old. I think it's in some ways the perfect little brother to the 918. . . . The lightness, the precision, the usability, the fun, the sports car-y, putting the top up and down a little bit manually . . . there's no better car. The Boxster Spyder - the greatest secret of the last 3 years in the Porsche community. That's the car you missed Porsche guys. You missed it."

beetleything 03-10-2018 10:57 PM

That was a cool broadcast - great to here so many of their thoughts and passion about the cars they drive.

TNine81.510 03-10-2018 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Viper pilot (Post 14860707)
That was really a great Podcast. Very entertaining!

Originally Posted by beetleything (Post 14861006)
That was a cool broadcast - great to here so many of their thoughts and passion about the cars they drive.

Yep! Entire episode was great. Anyone had a chance to tour some of the multipurpose hangars at SMO? They sound incredible — especially Jerry's!

ocgarza 03-16-2018 07:09 PM

Great episode. Frankly, a lot of their discussion is particularly relative to Pcar owners who want the Pcars they don't own. Including me. :cool:

Z356 03-17-2018 11:07 AM

Seinfeld driving prototypes 987 Boxster Spyders in 2009

Seinfeld driving early 987 Boxster Spyders prototypes in Carmel Valley Road (Monterey County, CA)
at a Porsche sponsored US Boxster Spyder 'intro' event in December 2009, probably just after the 987
Spyder's World Debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show on December 2, 2009.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fdc19c4bd1.png
The event's headquarter was at the Bernardus Lodge near the Laureles Grade in Carmel Valley, inland
from Carmel (CA).

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fe444a7a90.png

This video was filmed & posted by Gianni Cabligio, Sam's son. Gianni briefly worked for PCNA & now
is employed fulltime by Seinfeld to oversee his West Coast car collection in Santa Monica (CA).

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...291faeb65d.png

One of the admirers of the new Boxster Spyder is comedian Jerry Seinfeld, whose RSK Spyder—part of his collection of Porsches, housed in southern California—sparkles alongside its latest descendant. On entering the Bernardus Lodge, the TV star goes straight to the Spyder, subjecting it to scrutiny that even the famed German Technical Inspection could not surpass. He pauses at the rear attachment points for the sunshield. How does it work, he wants to know. A Porsche expert opens the rear trunk and begins fastening the sunshield in place.

Standing a few feet away, Seinfeld turns to his friends with a big smile and says, very quietly,

“This is genius.”

Then he wants to test his enthusiasm all the more. Questioning is one of his passions. He goes to the Porsche tent, where design engineers are talking about how their team has reduced weight in the Spyder.

One of them invites Seinfeld to pick up the one-piece rear luggage compartment lip.

A fleeting moment of doubt on Seinfeld’s face is supplanted by a wide grin and a laugh as he easily hoists the lightweight component. He looks closely at the piece of metal and asks for confirmation that the silver-metal lid has not been painted. He is assured that it hasn’t been. That inspires him. He wants to know if he can get one that’s completely unpainted.

The Porsche officials hesitate for an instant.

“How many pounds would we save by not having paint?” Seinfeld asks with a grin. Ah, everyone thinks, he’s kidding.

Finally, as Seinfeld sits in the Boxster Spyder in the driveway and the car is about to pull away, an event worker rushes up and offers him some new driving gloves.

“Too much weight,” he smiles, and releases the clutch. He returns two hours later. What does he think? “My RSKSpyder is here,” he says, “and the basic idea, from 1958 to now, is similar. It feels like the same idea, pursued with the perspective gained from all these years.”

The comedian slips quickly into the role of an automotive tester, and every word is serious. What about the Boxster Spyder’s driving characteristics?

“You can’t make that car mess up. It will not stumble. And it’s got a comfortable suspension,” he replies. “You know,” he muses, “you really can drive it around the neighborhood to run an errand”—
although that would be something like hiring a Michelin threestar
chef to whip up a turkey burger.

Porsche-purist Seinfeld will order his Spyder without the air-conditioning and the optional navigation system. But he might give in on the radio and order it as an option.

“There’s something about cars and music,”he explains. “Now, if the law allowed a louder exhaust, that would work. So you need a radio to stimulate the other senses.” Okay, what color? He pauses and thinks for a moment. “Can I get apaintless Boxster Spyder?” he wonders out loud. “That rear deck lid was really great…”

via files.porsche.com

https://dedeporsche.com/2010/04/23/j...oxster-spyder/

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

Zeus993 03-17-2018 01:09 PM

Excellent. Thanks for posting this. He is a true enthusiast and brand ambassador.

jeanrabelais 03-17-2018 01:10 PM

Great Thread. The lil bro to the 918 statement says it all IMHO.

Suicide Jockey 03-17-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 14875821)
Seinfeld driving early 987 Boxster Spyders prototypes in Carmel Valley Road (Monterey County, CA)
at a Porsche sponsored US Boxster Spyder 'intro' event in December 2009, probably just after the 987
Spyder's World Debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show on December 2, 2009.

Great stuff. Thanks for posting. Glad to see Jerry's concern about weight. High praise from someone who has driven a few Porsches in his time.