Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   981 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum-264/)
-   -   Rev Match (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1056023-rev-match.html)

mts 03-10-2018 03:15 PM

Rev Match

Do all the 981 and 718 manuals with sport chrono have the rev match feature?

DoxCroc 03-10-2018 04:14 PM

yes

Suicide Jockey 03-10-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mts (Post 14860170)
Do all the 981 and 718 manuals with sport chrono have the rev match feature?

If you don't care for rev matching, note that on the 981 Spyder rev matching is only present in Sport Plus mode and even then can be defeated by deactivating PSM. I can't speak to other 981 models and can't remember what guys have reported here regarding rev matching on the 718 (seem to recall one 718 owner stating that it could be turned off in a similar fashion).

Personally, I'm not a fan and share a concern with some here (i.e., Henry) that defeating rev matching on future models (i.e., 982 Spyder) may not be possible. Sure hope that's not the case as I know it would be a deal breaker for some.

Guaji 03-10-2018 11:24 PM

I have a 718 manual.....in Normal mode Rev Match is not active...only in Sport and Sport+. Not sure that it can be deactivated in those modes. I don’t think so.

Suicide Jockey 03-10-2018 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Guaji (Post 14861035)
I have a 718 manual.....in Normal mode Rev Match is not active...only in Sport and Sport+. Not sure that it can be deactivated in those modes. I don’t think so.

So if you follow the progression . . .

987 - no rev match
981 - rev match in Sport Plus only
718 - rev match in Sport and Sport Plus
982 Spyder - writing on the wall??? :(

DBH 03-11-2018 01:49 PM

You should be able to turn rev match feature off in any mode by deactivating PSM. This of course removes the Porsche Stability Management nannies - some people are not comfortable doing this.

spyderphile 03-12-2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey (Post 14861000)
........... future models (i.e., 982 Spyder) may not be possible. Sure hope that's not the case as I know it would be a deal breaker for some.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey (Post 14861066)
So if you follow the progression . . .
718 - rev match in Sport and Sport Plus
982 Spyder - writing on the wall??? :(

Actually, Nick, I expect the 982 Spyder to maintain the status quo with respect to rev matching; only in Sport Plus. However, I am afraid that additional enhanced performance dynamics might get tagged into Sport Plus besides rev matching. I sure hope not. It is disappointing that 982 models thus far don't have a way to disable it. Could a 718 driver confirm if turning off PSM disables rev matching? Spyder being supposedly more driver-focused, rev matching is likely to be off the menu if one chooses. AP is on the record stating that future models will let the driver to choose (I believe he was referencing 992). I don't use Sport Plus; and, often times I drive with PSM off.

And, you are right; it will be a deal breaker if rev matching can't be disabled.

Suicide Jockey 03-13-2018 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by the_rider (Post 14864411)
Actually, Nick, I expect the 982 Spyder to maintain the status quo with respect to rev matching; only in Sport Plus. However, I am afraid that additional enhanced performance dynamics might get tagged into Sport Plus besides rev matching.

Henry, just curious, what "additional enhanced performance dynamics" do you fear might get lumped into Sport Plus? Would it be suspension related, maybe a movement away from a fixed X73-type suspension?

I don't use Sport Plus; and, often times I drive with PSM off.

I do use Sport Plus but only with PSM off.

spyderphile 03-14-2018 07:14 PM

Nick, Sport seems to add more cooling in GT4. Not sure about GT3. Though not well documented officially, Sport mode in GT models seems to do more than auto blipping. In 911R, blipping is done in both up and down shifts; don't know what other functionality Sport mode does as I don't follow it. Since next Spyder is likely to be a GT product, someone with infinite wisdom could decide to mess things up by adding things like sharper throttle mapping, etc. to Sport Plus. Or, eliminate Sport Plus and put them all together in Sport. As much as I dearly want an open top GT product, I really hope that the Spyder will continue to maintain street-focus and differentiate itself from GT4. Spyder and GT4 are likely to share same suspension setup, which means, Spyder losing X73 and moving to PASM/S-PASM. So, that adds another possibility that Sport/Sport Plus modes could add additional functionality besides auto blipping. We will be moving further away from 'analog' model! :soapbox:

meteor10 03-14-2018 07:37 PM

My 2013 manual Boxster S with sport chrono does not rev match in any mode. It's up to me to do it and that's the way uh huh uh huh I liiiike it, ( sorry I couldn't resist). I think they automated it with the 2014 models

spyderphile 03-14-2018 09:10 PM

I think you lucked out!

Suicide Jockey 03-16-2018 01:04 AM

Actually, Nick, I expect the 982 Spyder to maintain the status quo with respect to rev matching; only in Sport Plus. However, I am afraid that additional enhanced performance dynamics might get tagged into Sport Plus besides rev matching. I sure hope not.

Well Henry, I gotta tip my hat. :bowdown: You seemed to have called it. I don't think you're going to like this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...991-2-gt3.html

If the next Spyder gets the GT3 engine (in whatever tune) then I suspect bundled in Sport Plus (rev match) mode will now be what you call "additional enhanced performance dynamics" in the form of "no-lift-shift" for MT cars. No need to lift off the throttle when shifting a MT car. Electronics let you keep your foot in it.

Inching closer and closer it seems to where some of us don't really want to go :crying:

skl 03-16-2018 02:32 AM

Had the Spyder for almost 2 years and never knew I could turn off rev match when in sport + by turning off PSM. Tried it today and it does work! Always felt that rev match is kind of cheating anyway- I learned to heel and toe nearly 50 years ago and need to keep that skill.

Slim987 03-16-2018 10:05 AM

spyderphile 03-16-2018 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey (Post 14872993)
Inching closer and closer it seems to where some of us don't really want to go :crying:

Not good, Nick; not good at all! Thanks for posting that thread. Engineers and product designers are predictable: they f#*@k things up in the name of progress without fully understanding the implications or providing mitigations. However, getting a detuned GT3 engine may not automatically mean features like clutch-less shifting would be migrated. GT3 being track-focused, one could use that feature at the track; and, allegedly shift and rev match on his/her own on the street. Hopefully, they would have the rational to isolate these features to a single button, say Sport Plus; and, not screw up by bundling things like increased throttle response or tighter active engine mount damping, etc, with them. Another item added to 'Deal Breaker' list! MT lives on for the namesake! Just pseudo! :banghead: