Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dead - can't open hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:24 PM
Scooterco
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Glad you sorted it. Just for informational purposes there is also a manual release for the front trunk just like the rear trunk. it is only accessible by removing the left front wheel however since it is tucked inside the inner fender behind that wheel.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:06 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 331 Posts

Has anyone hooked one of the lithium emergency batteries to the cigarette lighter?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:07 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Has anyone hooked one of the lithium emergency batteries to the cigarette lighter?
We actually make what you might be calling the Lithium Emergency batteries. Ous is the mini Jump-Starters and ours is called the MICRO-START. We have won best rated Jump Starter by Consumer Reports with our XP-10 Version of the product. So this is exactly what we do and quite well....

But to answer you question with the mini Jump Starter it doesn't work though the Cig Lighter Port,......I have tried it on our 2016 GT3 RS. Our particular models are called the XP-1 and XP-10 and they have a 19v output for Laptops, a 12v port for 12v devices, and then 2 USB Ports for Cell Phones and Tablets. So I rigged the 12v Output to a male cig lighter and plugged it in and did a bunch of testing and could not get it to trigger the Trunk Open button. But I did have success using the them with its Mini Jumper clamps attached, and then hooking them up to the fuse box Red Buss and grounding to the Negative Clamp to a seat bolt (chassis). I am actually in the process of designing a simple harness kit to easily power the Trunk so you can just use our MICRO-STARTS rather than having and extra battery. Most people carry a MICRO-START for charging their cell phone and occasional Jump Starting so I want to make a kit to easily pop the trunk on a Porsche since it seem to happen alot. And since the MICROs are so small they can fit in a pocket of easily stow in a glove box and barely take any room it the perfect thing to have for just this type of thing.

Last we are invested in this solution because our Car Battery.... the RS-30 is a battery that we advertise will never leave you stranded. ITs a battery that puts itself to sleep before it over-discharged yet you can press a button on it and wake it up again and easily start the car without a jump starter or assitance. Its like a built in jump starter.... BUUUUUUUUTTTTT.... you need to access the battery to Push the button on the RS-30 battery. So we are thinking of a way to rig a remote RE-SET to press the button... then you won't need to have access to the battery.

Heres the RS-30 video....
Old 06-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Medswami
5th Gear

Default ARCHAIC SOLUTIONS POSTED EVERYWHERE

Hard to believe it’s 2018 and the so called Porsche “experts” are still talking about jumper cables. ??? The solution is the Mighty Jump Pocket Car Starter: https://ebay.to/2kTiSlg

If there’’s any vehicle this device is most useful for, it’’s Porsche. Store it in your glove box. I’’m unsure of other models but the Porsche 987 Boxster/Cayman lacks any electrical cut-off for the cigarette lighter port even with the ignition key removed.

Hope this helps. And please - if you’re not in touch with the modern era - spare everyone from panic and stress by simply not posting antiquated filler info. Or by just not posting anything at all. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:44 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi_987_S
This issue is now resolved thanks to the assistance here and in particular, bernb6 who set me on the right path.

For the benefit of others who might face this challenge, here is how it was resolved.
The battery was heavily discharged if not completely discharged. I pulled a source vehicle alongside and connected jumper leads - positive to the red tag in the fuse box and negative to the door striker. I then placed my battery charger on the source vehicle's battery and left everything for a couple of hours. On my return, pressing the remote release button on the key released the lid. Note that at this point, the release tab in the sill would still not operate the latch.

It seems that the discharged Boxster battery was holding the supply voltage down to the point that the remote wouldn't work. Once I got some charge into the Boxster battery the system described in the manual worked.
Dealing with this right now. Dead, absolutely dead battery. I have a donor battery on a charger hooked up to the red terminal. Now I wait...
Old 04-10-2019, 11:01 AM
elvn
Advanced

Default Manual release

Originally Posted by Scooterco
Hi,

Glad you sorted it. Just for informational purposes there is also a manual release for the front trunk just like the rear trunk. it is only accessible by removing the left front wheel however since it is tucked inside the inner fender behind that wheel.
I know this is true for the 981s, but can you confirm it is true for the 987.2s? There's not much documentation out there about this.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:10 AM
gman3280
Pro

My car is a 987.2 and it has the manual release. My battery had to be replaced so it didn't matter how long I charged it...
Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 AM
elvn
Advanced

Originally Posted by gman3280
My car is a 987.2 and it has the manual release. My battery had to be replaced so it didn't matter how long I charged it...
That's good to know. Thanks! I'm in the same boat. The battery will not take a charge.

IMO, taking the wheel off is easy compared to the electronic acrobatics, so I'd rather use the cable release. Question, tho, is it the "left wheel" from the sitting in the car perspective (US spec) driver's side, or standing in front of the car, making it the (US spec) passenger's side wheel?
Old 04-10-2019, 11:28 AM
gman3280
Pro

Honestly the electrics are easy if you have a set up jumper cables. Should take no longer than 5 minutes to find out if it will work.

The video is 5 min long and that's all it should take to hook up the jumpers.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:38 AM
gartzspeed
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Must be spring time, you are all sold out of the RS30

Any idea when you will have them in stock again, and any issues shipping to Canada
Old 04-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by gartzspeed
Must be spring time, you are all sold out of the RS30

Any idea when you will have them in stock again, and any issues shipping to Canada
Hi, we have put out the next generation fo the RS-30.... It has built-in wireless Jump Starting,... video and link below. Our 30Ah battery cells have been on back order. We have a 40Ah version and the 24Ah Version.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/ag-h6-rs/

The new battery is cool because you will never be locked out of the Frunk again... it comes with a Wireless Keyfob for activating the reserve power and jump starting.

We also have a few other cool things that are now in stock such as our long jump starter clampless Harness kit. Which is a set of longer cable that attach to a mini Jump Starter that you can

Quick Reply: Battery dead - can't open hood