Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track tire question: R888R

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:58 PM
JonL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track tire question: R888R

Anyone running R888R on the track on their 981S in 18" sizes? If so, what sizes and how do you like them? I've been running Nitto NT01's with good success but would like to try something different. Haven't been able to find much feedback on these tires when used on track.

And yes, I did see the thread on the delamination of the sidewalls. Yet, I'm hopeful those issues have been addressed and I trailer my car to the track so underinflation would hopefully not be an issue. I think I have a soft spot for Toyo's as I used to run RA1's for years.

Thanks.

Last edited by JonL; 03-10-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I’ve run the Nittos at DE’s and found them to be adequate for that use. I presume the Tokyo’s would be similar. I thought I’d use the Nittos for my recent race weekend, (Sebring 48Hours) since it was my first race, and I just wanted to get a feel for racing. During test and tune, when I realized how many seconds/lap I was giving up, my competitive juices kicked in and I went to the on-site vendor and bought a set of Hoosiers. Huge difference of course, and I immediately set much faster lap times. Since you are trailering, consider Hoosiers.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Deepbluejh
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Following this thread.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:55 PM
JonL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I’ve run the Nittos at DE’s and found them to be adequate for that use. I presume the Tokyo’s would be similar. I thought I’d use the Nittos for my recent race weekend, (Sebring 48Hours) since it was my first race, and I just wanted to get a feel for racing. During test and tune, when I realized how many seconds/lap I was giving up, my competitive juices kicked in and I went to the on-site vendor and bought a set of Hoosiers. Huge difference of course, and I immediately set much faster lap times. Since you are trailering, consider Hoosiers.
Every time I come up on the time for new tires I grapple with that decision. Mostly because when I’m not actively on the track, I find it hard to justify the higher cost of Hoosiers for half the number of track days when compared to something like NT01’s. I have to continue to tell myself that these are DE day tires, not race tires.

And then when I get to the track and see that guy who is 1 sec faster in his 991 Turbo, I think, “if only I had Hoosiers...”

So I definitely get what you’re saying.

But back to my original post...
Old 03-12-2018, 12:31 AM
diverdog
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

The issue with Hoosiers is you really need more camber than you can reasonably run on the street. If you set up for the street you trash the Hoosiers quickly if you set up for the track your street tires wear poorly. When my car was dual purpose I modified the suspension and put up with lousey tire wear on the street. Now I have a new set of issues on how to juggle the slicks for practice, qualifying and races over the weekend.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I am thinking about this too. I am running RE71R on 18's for my DE's, but thinking of maybe trying something different when they wear out. Any feedback would be good.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:41 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I've run the Toyo's on my 71 track car for several years and have liked them a lot. My spec for a track tyre is pretty much "If it rains I have to be able to drive home" so they work well in that case. That said on the Cayman which is new to me as a track car this year I'm trying out the RE71Rs which I've run on our Lemons car and liked too. So I'd say give em a try.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:52 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by diverdog
The issue with Hoosiers is you really need more camber than you can reasonably run on the street. If you set up for the street you trash the Hoosiers quickly if you set up for the track your street tires wear poorly. When my car was dual purpose I modified the suspension and put up with lousey tire wear on the street. Now I have a new set of issues on how to juggle the slicks for practice, qualifying and races over the weekend.
This ^^^

I think you'll find there is little difference in speed from R888s and the NT01s. I don't know why some folks really hate the R888s, but there have been many complaints about them over the years. I have never had any issues with them other then they don't provide the bang for the buck that the NT01s do. (good right to the cords) R888s just have a more narrow working window.

The RA1 was a spectacular DE tire. I understand why you miss it. I kind of feel the NT01 is today's solution to the RA1.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:42 AM
JonL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ramans
I've run the Toyo's on my 71 track car for several years and have liked them a lot. My spec for a track tyre is pretty much "If it rains I have to be able to drive home" so they work well in that case. That said on the Cayman which is new to me as a track car this year I'm trying out the RE71Rs which I've run on our Lemons car and liked too. So I'd say give em a try.
I've thought about the RE71R, particularly after reading this article: http://www.prima-racing.com/bridgest...king-part-two/
However, part of what I hope to do with the R888R is to jump up in size from my current NT01 245/40-18, 275/40-18 to maybe a R888R 255/35-18, 295/30-18. However, I'm not certain if the ABS will tolerate that size as the diameter is the same front to back. In fact, I may start a thread asking specifically about tire diameter to gather more people's experiences.

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
This ^^^

I think you'll find there is little difference in speed from R888s and the NT01s. I don't know why some folks really hate the R888s, but there have been many complaints about them over the years. I have never had any issues with them other then they don't provide the bang for the buck that the NT01s do. (good right to the cords) R888s just have a more narrow working window.

The RA1 was a spectacular DE tire. I understand why you miss it. I kind of feel the NT01 is today's solution to the RA1.
I have run the R888 on my Lotus Exige and actually didn't like it due to the fact that they got greasy (I think you alluded to that in it's "working window") and find the NT01's to me a much more forgivable tire. I'm hoping the R888R is an improvement over the R888 in that regard. I do agree with you on the RA1's!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Will be interested in your comments if you run a set. They are reasonable -- I would run 19 inch -- at about $1200 for a set. Trying my damnedest to stay away from the addiction of Hoosiers or pre-cycled slicks as I just don't want to go down that road again. Need more heat cycles per dollars spent.

Quick Reply: Track tire question: R888R