Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top protectant

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Thanks for this thread. I'll be applying protectant for the first time in the next month or two.

I washed my car a couple of weekends ago and got soap on the top from the foam sprayer. Rinsed it right off. Never thought twice about it until this thread. How bad of a mistake was that? I'm used to a vinyl top which I wash just like a regular part of the car (and protect with 303).
Old 03-08-2018, 11:32 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I washed my car a couple of weekends ago and got soap on the top from the foam sprayer. Rinsed it right off. Never thought twice about it until this thread. How bad of a mistake was that? I'm used to a vinyl top which I wash just like a regular part of the car (and protect with 303).
Don't worry about it. Don't make a habit out of washing the cabriolet with any soap(s). Just water, and a regular regiment of the stickey tape roller.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:57 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Don't worry about it. Don't make a habit out of washing the cabriolet with any soap(s). Just water, and a regular regiment of the stickey tape roller.
Whew! Thanks.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:58 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Acula
A little video I made about applying 303 and lubricating the noise areas.
Great video!

Exactly what I needed.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:19 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a bottle of the 303 Fabric that I bought while the car was shipping (!) and after 8 months and lots of sun I decided to apply it today.

I didn't have any rollers so I masked and sprayed. The spraying was easy (spray until wet) but the masking was a pain. Getting around the corners was harder than I had expected. I reckon I'll try the roller next summer. Any drips and overspray cleaned up easy when wet but were really stuck until I dipped a rag in some methylated spirits. This took it right off. The Boxster has a paint coating that is impervious to alcohol--I don't know what meths would do to uncoated paint. Be careful, you will get a few drops, spots, and runs.

Anyway, the top looks great and in today's heat (35°+ C) it was odourless and dry in less than 3 hours--the bottle says 6-12. I'll throw some water on the hood next wash and see--I'm expecting it will bead right off. The 303 original on the dash and other interior vinyl/polyurethane has been great. It is also not a shiny finish.

Both the original and Fabric say they have high level UV protection, so here's hoping. With 224 sunny days and 2774 hours sunshine a year UV protection is essential.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:29 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

I use Ragg Top, the preparation is 45 minutes, but I don't want it on the paint.

Quick Reply: Convertible top protectant