Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWE Tuning exhaust for 981 vs PSE

Old 03-05-2018, 03:49 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
Default AWE Tuning exhaust for 981 vs PSE

I am still on the fence between the PSE and the aftermarket option. While keeping it OEM (PSE) has its own appeal, the installation cost makes me feel it's not worth it. I was quoted $1,450 - 10% PCA discount by my local dealer for PSE installation. It seems like I may be able to knock down $200 or so by shopping around, but will never find a dealer who will do the installation for less than $1,200 in my area. I understand that the PSE installation is very involved, but the cheapskate in me keeps telling me that paying $1,400 for an exhaust installation is plain foolish especially when I know I can install an aftermarket exhaust by myself. I know the big thing about the PSE is its ON/OFF button. I don't really have to worry about my neighbors (the houses are well spaced apart in my neighborhood and I pretty much never leave too early in the morning or come home late at night), however, being able to shut down possible drone at a cruising speed has a huge merit. I just hate exhaust drone with passion and this is the very reason I started considering the PSE.

If the drone is somewhat livable, an aftermarket exhaust is a better option for me. I know every aftermarket exhaust drones to a certain extent. Drone can be subjective and the same resonance may bother one but may not the other. I like the sound (as far as I can hear in the videos) and the looks of AWE Tuning's exhaust for 981. I think their 102mm double-wall tips look very attractive.

Does anyone in this forum run the AWE in his/her 981 (preferably an S)? If so, can you share your experience with it? I am especially interested in its drone RPM range, how bad the drone is, how well (/badly) the chrome tips hold the finish after a few years of use, and overall quality.

I thank you in advance for any input. In the meantime, if Suncoast runs a flash sale on the PSE, I might just buy it right away. Are you listening, Suncoast?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:54 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm biased since this was my personal choice, but I installed a factory PSE with a Soul/other third party valve controller so you use a remote. I then programmed homelink button 2 for quiet and 3 for loud. So I still installed myself, but I can make it loud or quiet at the push of a garage door opener button. Wiring and running vac line wasn't that bad - this was my first time doing either. It also has an advantage over PSE with dealer install other than cost: I can make it quiet at high RPM if needed. My vote.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:45 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
I'm biased since this was my personal choice, but I installed a factory PSE with a Soul/other third party valve controller so you use a remote. I then programmed homelink button 2 for quiet and 3 for loud. So I still installed myself, but I can make it loud or quiet at the push of a garage door opener button. Wiring and running vac line wasn't that bad - this was my first time doing either. It also has an advantage over PSE with dealer install other than cost: I can make it quiet at high RPM if needed. My vote.
So Soul/other third party sells just their valve control kit? How much does it cost? Where would you feed the vacuum line on a car without PSE that does not have existing vacuum line?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by storii
So Soul/other third party sells just their valve control kit? How much does it cost? Where would you feed the vacuum line on a car without PSE that does not have existing vacuum line?
I bought mine used so you'd have to ask around, but other outfits sell similar kits. All cars have many vac lines to control all sorts of stuff. You just tap one with a T and you're good to go. There is a good one right under the center undertray forward of the engine.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:03 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

I bought mine used so you'd have to ask around, but other outfits sell similar kits. All cars have many vac lines to control all sorts of stuff. You just tap one with a T and you're good to go. There is a good one right under the center undertray forward of the engine.
Thanks!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:05 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Sure. Wiring is a breeze too, since you can use a tap-a-fuse in the rear fuse box and just plug in to that (ground is near the air filters). It is a good option worth considering IMO.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:42 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Soul reached out to me and said their Valve Controller was available for $150. I think it is a very reasonable price. This makes the PSE + aftermarket Valve Controller a viable and attractive option. Thank you for the info, Soul!

No one here with the AWE exhaust? I really want to hear from those who is running/ran the AWE on 981.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:31 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

So far, I have found only one review of the AWE on 981 on Planet 9 (Oh, how I hate to look at that site! Their pages are so busy and so hard for my eyes). The owner was complaining about the major drone (!) and funny noise that the exhaust made under deceleration at a low speed. Not very encouraging....

Hope some AWE owners will chime in here.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:16 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

This I would like to have for my PSE, power to vote loud/quiet at any time. I wonder why Porsche bothered to have the PSE quiet mode. If your foot is out of the gas pedal, it's not noticeable to me if the button is on or off. When foot is in the gas pedal, it's loud no matter where the button is.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:35 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
This I would like to have for my PSE, power to vote loud/quiet at any time. I wonder why Porsche bothered to have the PSE quiet mode. If your foot is out of the gas pedal, it's not noticeable to me if the button is on or off. When foot is in the gas pedal, it's loud no matter where the button is.
I thought that too. It is even more exaggerated on my car with Fabspeed race headers, but quiet button is always quiet (even tame at high revs, shockingly), and loud button is REALLY loud. A good use of $150-$200 for a controller.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AWE Tuning exhaust for 981 vs PSE