Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 MX-5 Miata vs. used 981 base

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2016 MX-5 Miata vs. used 981 base

I posted a similar thread on the Miata forum and got some great insights so I'm doing it here too. I've been a fan of Pcars my whole life and owned a couple air cooled 911s back in the day. Now I want a convertible sports car and have narrowed it down to a new MX-5 or a used 981 base model. I'm in it for fun, not ultimate performance. I will probably do some autox and occasional track day but mostly just cruise. I want to keep price and TCO low as this is a replacement for a motorcycle. It will not be a DD.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has driven both cars. I've driven the MX-5 and hope to try a 981 soon. The MX-5 is fast agile and very elemental. I really liked it. I know the 981 will cost around $10k more and that's not insignificant. But they are a lot more car too. Any insights you can provide are much appreciated.

Last edited by Nip are; 08-04-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I haven't driven the new MX-5 but I did do a long test drive in the prior model and I'd call these cars a very apples to oranges comparison personally, particularly if the 981 has any of the performance options. If I lay out my thoughts here I'll sound like a Miata hater and/or a P Car fanboy. My only advice is to drive a few 981's and see how you feel about it. Just be aware that the options that any particular 981 has on it can greatly impact how you perceive the ride/performance. And given the depreciation on these things, you might want to try out a 981S if you think you can remotely make the price work.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

I had a '15 Miata PRHT 6 speed I drove last summer. Great car - lots of fun to drive. No complaints. I traded it on my current Boxster GTS in the fall. Of course, there is no comparison, but the GTS was 3X the cost as well.
I drove a base 981 before ordering the GTS and, if the delta is really only $10K, I would probably take the 981 over the Miata. This of course is entirely dependent on what you want out of the car. My Miata felt much smaller (the seats were a little too narrow for my liking and ***) - it really felt like a go-kart (in a good way) and it was a blast to drive at legal speeds. The 981 is bigger and far more sophisticated IMO. However, the 2.7 is no screamer - I drove it back to back with a 981S and the difference was obvious and overwhelming.
My wife didn't like riding in the Miata "feels like a toy - why don't you get another Boxster?", which is the main reason I only kept the Mazda 4 months.
Either will be a lot of fun. A no lose situation.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:27 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a similar debate earlier this year, though was considering 981S, so the performance and cost differential was more significant.

The Miata is a fun car, and the ND is no exception. I love them -- simple, fun, reasonably reliable. Small, but fits my frame (barely), and comfortable unless it's your only car. I like the fact that it doesn't command the potential negative attention the P-Cars may attract. For example, I could get comfortable parking it at the train station or mall all day and not worry. That said, it's slower by a step-wise function than a base 981, and the interior appointments, while nice enough, are a cut below Porsche.

Personally, had I gone the Miata route, I would've wanted to mod it pretty heavily -- supercharger, wheels, exhaust, suspension, etc. Many of those aren't available yet, and I couldn't get my head around the additional $8-10K spend, virtually none of which would have any residual value.

Beyond the lackluster power, my main frustration with the Miata was the lack of good color options, the lack of leather in the Club trim, and the lack of hard top (until the RF was announced).

I wound up doing a full 180 and getting a new Spyder.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:53 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Thanks folks for taking the time to respond. In my situation I can't justify spending a lot more than the $30k an MX-5 ND will cost. That's why I was limiting my choice to a 981 base. I also believe than more isn't always more and sometimes the simplest answer is the best. While I haven't driven a base 981 I believe that it is still a very fun and rewarding car to drive. It's also more luxurious than the ND by a long ways. But I'm curious if its as fun to drive at near legal speeds. That's one of the things that really attracts me to the MX-5. I've driven cars that don't break a sweat until you've tripled the posted speed and for me that isn't really fun. It's like hanging it out on a sport bike, exciting, exhilarating and terrifying but not fun.

That some of you have cross shopped an MX-5 with a boxster S or Spyder says a lot. Those are in a completely different league.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:09 PM
p912guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to replace my MINI Cooper S this fall / winter. My must haves in order of importance are 1) roadster/convertible, 2) fun to drive, 3) <$50K, 4) comfortable for both driver and passenger as a daily driver and road trip car. There are other considerations, but those are the biggies. My original list included new MX-5 (ND), CPO 981 Boxster, new or CPO Audi TT Mk III, new or CPO BMW 228/230i xDrive or 235/240i, new Mustang or Camaro and new Fiat 124 Spider. I have eliminated Mustang and Camaro because they are just too big and too heavy. I have also eliminated the MX-5 and Fiat 124 Spider because they are just too small, especially for the passenger and for luggage and storage. So that leaves the Boxster, TT and BMW 2 Series. Each has their virtues, but if I can find the right low mileage CPO Boxster (base), I think that's where I'll end up.

One other thought on the Boxster v Miata debate, I think the delta between the two is a bit more than $10K. Most 981's I see for sale these days are more than $45K and a loaded Miata is around $32K.

At any rate, let us know what you decide to do.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:54 PM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Well....I had a '16 MX-5, for 4 months. It was a daily, it was fun. All you need is a thicker rear sway bar and it handled amazingly well.

But the seats were uncomfortable and the whine from the engine just doesn't scream enjoyment as well as other smaller cars in that general segment.

I don't know enough about a base 981, but between the two, I'd probably go with the 981 because the interior is nicer (at a premium) and I'm assuming would be that much more interesting to drive.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Originally Posted by p912guy
I am planning to replace my MINI Cooper S this fall / winter. My must haves in order of importance are 1) roadster/convertible, 2) fun to drive, 3) <$50K, 4) comfortable for both driver and passenger as a daily driver and road trip car. There are other considerations, but those are the biggies. My original list included new MX-5 (ND), CPO 981 Boxster, new or CPO Audi TT Mk III, new or CPO BMW 228/230i xDrive or 235/240i, new Mustang or Camaro and new Fiat 124 Spider. I have eliminated Mustang and Camaro because they are just too big and too heavy. I have also eliminated the MX-5 and Fiat 124 Spider because they are just too small, especially for the passenger and for luggage and storage. So that leaves the Boxster, TT and BMW 2 Series. Each has their virtues, but if I can find the right low mileage CPO Boxster (base), I think that's where I'll end up.

One other thought on the Boxster v Miata debate, I think the delta between the two is a bit more than $10K. Most 981's I see for sale these days are more than $45K and a loaded Miata is around $32K.

At any rate, let us know what you decide to do.

I think you were right to eliminate the MX-5 given you want to take long road trips. Everything I've learned says that they are noisy at high speed and not that enjoyable on long road trips. And like you said they are small without much storage.

$10k delta is probably best case. But I have found what appear to be good examples in the high $30ks. Here's one and there were 8 others in the search results all under $40k. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...14652726&Log=0

Base 981s seem to be the sports car bargain of the century. If they weren't my decision would be a lot easier.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:37 PM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

It is very noisy at highway speeds, but the bluetooth is pretty good. The ****ty part is calls only come out of the headrest speaker so it sounds like crap
Old 08-04-2016, 07:20 PM
p912guy
Intermediate

$10k delta is probably best case. But I have found what appear to be good examples in the high $30ks. Here's one and there were 8 others in the search results all under $40k. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...14652726&Log=0
That does look like a deal, especially with only 10K miles. I have pretty much limited my 981 searches to Porsche dealers and low mileage newer CPO cars. Consensus seems to be CPO is about a $2-2.5K added cost, but considering the costs of Porsche parts, service and maintenance, I think it's probably worth the extra $$$ for the additional warranty.

As I mentioned, I am going to get serious about the purchase in late fall or winter as I suspect better deals will be had on roadsters / convertibles at that time of year and I'd really like to find a 2016 if possible. I have a 66 912 I have owned for 30+ years which I am completely restoring and the thought of having two P cars separated by 50 years is quite appealing. We are shopping for a new small / mid size luxury SUV in that same $50K price range for my wife right now to replace her Mazda CX-9. We need to get her taken care of before I get what I want. Happy wife - happy life!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:39 PM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a cherry s2000.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

6 years ago I contemplated the Miata and Boxster and after extended drives in both cars I wound up in the Spyder. Granted it's a bigger stretch at over double the price but I thought the delta was more than worth it. Looking back, I would do the same today.

Having said that, I still debate about buying a gen 1 Miata to use around town and run small errands. It wouldn't take much space in the garage and they're easy to maintain. Perfect fun car for short distances.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:22 PM
KAW
Track Day

On a lark, I bought a 16 Launch Edition MX5 ND and drove it nine months. Lightweight, fun to drive, good value, top up and down manually with one hand in a few seconds, actually ok on the highway...probably as good a value sports car for the money. But its very small, very small. I have been fortunate to own just about every 911 model...last 3 were 68s, 69s and 73s. Like the OP, I found the modern cars are too good until you are going very fast, I wanted to see if I could get that old power to weight ratio in a Miata. Fun but you quickly realize its missing the sound, smell, feel and emotional draw to a Porsche .. so, I went got a Spyder. For the money, get a Miata, for everything else get a Porsche...any model.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:04 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Nip are
I'm in it for fun, not ultimate performance. I want to keep price and TCO low . . .
Originally Posted by Nip are
Thanks folks for taking the time to respond. In my situation I can't justify spending a lot more than the $30k an MX-5 ND will cost. That's why I was limiting my choice to a 981 base. I also believe than more isn't always more and sometimes the simplest answer is the best. While I haven't driven a base 981 I believe that it is still a very fun and rewarding car to drive. It's also more luxurious than the ND by a long ways. But I'm curious if its as fun to drive at near legal speeds. That's one of the things that really attracts me to the MX-5. I've driven cars that don't break a sweat until you've tripled the posted speed and for me that isn't really fun. It's like hanging it out on a sport bike, exciting, exhilarating and terrifying but not fun.
Nip, in your above posts you keep emphasizing "fun" as what you're primarily looking for. Go with the MX-5. You can't get more fun for the dollar. Plus, you're getting a brand-new spanking car for $10 - $15K less than a used 981.

New over used = fun
Pocketing $10 - $15K = fun
Driving a less powerful car fast = fun
Having lower insurance/maintenance/repair costs = fun
Raising and lowering that amazingly simple manual top = fun

I'm not saying the 981 isn't fun, but there are more worries associated with Porsche ownership and worries do not = fun.

IMO, given your stated priorities (fun and low costs of ownership), this decision isn't even close, partially because the MX-5 is such a great car in its own right. Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-04-2016, 11:20 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I thought (swore, actually) I'd keep my NB when I got my 981BS.

That lasted, I guess, maybe 3 months. They are both sublime, iconic roadsters, but only the Boxster is greater than the sum of its parts.

Quick Reply: 2016 MX-5 Miata vs. used 981 base