Sponsored by:

Advice first Porsche (Cayman)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 AM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice first Porsche (Cayman)

I’m a former owner of S2000 and E92 M3 with DCT around 5-6 years each.

I have a nice car for snow/winter driving which is a Subaru Legacy.

Anyhoo S2000 was too small the M3 was too big. While I loved the DCT transmission in my M3 it was fast as heck, but I was just leaving it in auto mode. Of course I could shift with the paddles but just didn’t bother, was a habit that I never felt like using the paddles.

So, I’m looking for a MT car.

I test drove a 2017 Cayman base with PDK was great, but on my limited test the engine felt great but just seems like the TQ was there no matter what gear or what rpm I was, so it was somewhat characterless, and of course the PDK was great but again I’m just seeing that as a glorified automatic transmission. I do realize the PDK is faster and better than I can shift but I just like old school MT. My economy Legacy is a 5MT and that’s probably why I like it so much.

saw this Cayman https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomeP age_false_0&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d993&zip=21771#listing= 199744682

I wanted to ask what all you guys think about the price, condition and options.

I don’t care about being slow (non S) because I find fast cars just need to be driven faster, my M3 414HP was almost like I was holding it back because I didn’t want to get in trouble.

I am concerned about buying a P car out of warranty or soon to be, and is the Cayman generally reliable? Once my M3 was out of warranty I needed to spend $2500 and that’s not counting consumables or oil changes.

Lastly I’m also looking at the new BRZ which for 2018 has better infotainment system and Apple CarPlay and 6MT weighs less than Cayman and is very fun to drive. The interior looks like a $15k car but that real does not bother me, I like cheap cars, can get a new BRZ for less than used Cayman unless I go back 6+ years.

While the two cars are not comparable in terms of quality or outright power, the weight is similar and the size is within 6 inches length which is nothing.

When I was young I loved small cars like MR2 and CRX and the BRZ is a spiritual successor to the original Corolla 86, miss my S2000 as much as my M3.
I also tested the MX5 but was too cramped for my 6-2 frame.

Last edited by rai; 03-13-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:02 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

I get the comparison to a BRZ. But, if you're giving that many concessions to a brand new BRZ perhaps you should just go that way.
Also, a Porsche is just dynamically better in almost every way (steering feel, materials, sound, "driving feel", mid-engine).
Have you test driven a 981.1 (not a 718 cayman)? There's large difference between them, and you won't have that "torque there no matter what" with the 6cyl (especially the base engine).

Related to the used porsche link you posted: it has 0 performance goodies added (PASM, PTV, Sport Chrono, PSE) and just a couple interior comforts (see here for options list) which is probably why it's not very expensive.

Cayman's are pretty reliable in the 981.1 (too soon to tell for the 718/981.2) era - but you'll encounter Porsche level maintenance costs (oil changes are expensive, and all maintenance is specialized or expensive or both).

Last edited by iliveoncaffiene; 03-13-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:12 PM
rai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ thanks for the reply. I know it’s poor to bring up a BRZ in this conservation, but I have 5 cars already (for entire family) and want to add a sports car (number 6).

Its incrementally more expensive for me the more cars I own.

On on top of Cayman would also be the older car with more expensive tires, oil changes, brakes etc.. sure a new Cayman would be less out of pocket for those but the entry price is $60K.

The Cayman is *probably* the best sporty car in this price range (I’m talking Corvette, Mustangs, M3s). I’m not saying the BRZ is better, but I could go either way. Fully aware the BRZ has a low rent interior, low power, low grip, I realize everything that is wrong with the BRZ but the price is reasonable. Focus and Civics are going for $35-40K which is just crazy to me.

I have to test drive the Cayman with 6MT, I’m sure that will tell me more since I only drove the PDK. I’m only concerned that the tall gearing 70-80 mph in second gear may not suit my driving, when I like some shifting, I might not like as much when second gear will do 80% of what’s required on a back road.

Quick Reply: Advice first Porsche (Cayman)