Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder - Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

BGTS doesn't give up much in looks department to Spyder. It's a beautiful car. For me it was all about a 3.8 L consolation prize after I missed out on a GT4 allocation. I think you make some good arguments for the BGTS possibly being the better DD. I've not driven a BGTS, but I'd be quite surprised if the sound was anywhere close to as good as that of the 981 Spyder. I am continually amazed to hear that kind of raucous sound out of an OEM exhaust.

I fit your description of the guy who only drives the Spyder on nice days. Part of that reason is I have other less valuable Porsche's to get my fix in. As the value has held strong and the traffic has gotten crazier in Orlando, I'm a bit nervous to drive it. I'd say at least once/week I have what I'd describe as a near miss from some crazy driver almost nailing me. My one regret in owning this car is that I don't live in a part of the world where I can maximally enjoy it. Orlando totally sucks for traffic and lack of nice driving roads.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:24 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly the best car I've ever owned. Any time an the new car itch comes along a short drive in the Spyder is an immediate cure. Almost frustrating as I generally lose interest in a car after 2-3 years and I've no desire to replace it.
If you're looking for a fantastic open top experience, it's pretty hard to beat. One potential downside is that it does draw a lot of attention- you will regularly get comments of "nice car" etc. while driving, at the pump, in parking lots.. a nice "problem" to have though

re the heated seats- they were a must have here in CO, makes it easier to drive on a brisk March morning!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:51 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Have still never seen another 981 Spyder on the road since I got mine last year. Don’t know if there even is another in Central Ohio where I live.

We are from Dayton and go for drives out past Washington CH and down by HH, but yesterday the roads were still too salty so I worked on bypassing the AO death tube. See you on the road sometime! Listen for the roar of the race headers and look for the flash of red going by.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Just a thought, but would it be worth considering opting "down" for a 981 Boxster GTS? ... All that said, after having owned my BGTS for a few months now (and only a few days of optimal top-down weather...), as crazy as it sounds I can't honestly say if I were given the opportunity right now, I would really have too strong of a desire to let go of it in favor of a Spyder (especially considering the cost difference). Of course there's the distinct advantage of having only one of 800
Spyder production totals may be pretty well documented by now, but I never found official GTS production numbers from Porsche (though they have gone on record saying that the GTS model accounts for 15% of sales, so we could just take them at their word). A while back I analyzed Boxster classified ads on all of the major online websites to (unscientifically) reverse-engineer relative production distribution in the U.S. (not worldwide). My data is out of date now, but back then I found the following information (multiple value ranges are provided depending on which classified website you were looking at):

* 10-15% of all 2015 Boxster listings were GTS models. If 3102 Boxsters were sold in the U.S. in 2015, then a range of 330-465 units were likely GTS models.
* 13-21% of all 2016 Boxster listings were GTS models. If 2670 Boxsters were sold in the U.S. in 2016, then a range of 347-561 units were likely GTS models.

If the data is to be believed, that means total 2015-2016 Boxster GTS numbers in the U.S. may be somewhere in the range of 677-1026 units (plus or minus a few % for other unaccounted variables). Again, this is not scientific but better than nothing. In any case, the GTS still qualifies as a pretty uncommon car in its own right (I certainly don't see many at club events and almost never encounter one in the wild). Perhaps "exclusivity" was never artificially restricted (in terms of dealer order allocations), but final GTS numbers still compare favorably with the Spyder (granted the GTS doesn't have as much bespoke content to set it apart from its siblings, but even a "regular" Boxster is not a very common vehicle, based on annual sales figures in the U.S.).

Back on topic, I had considered the Spyder and even the 991.1 cab but the BGTS was the sweet spot for me and my needs and intended use. I agree with the others that suggest exploring (and test-driving) everything including the 987 to determine which one floats your boat the most. All of the cars mentioned have their own inherent magic and charms.

Last edited by gearFX; 03-05-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:53 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Honestly the best car I've ever owned. Any time an the new car itch comes along a short drive in the Spyder is an immediate cure. Almost frustrating as I generally lose interest in a car after 2-3 years and I've no desire to replace it.
If you're looking for a fantastic open top experience, it's pretty hard to beat. One potential downside is that it does draw a lot of attention- you will regularly get comments of "nice car" etc. while driving, at the pump, in parking lots.. a nice "problem" to have though

re the heated seats- they were a must have here in CO, makes it easier to drive on a brisk March morning!
Strange, hard to admit that I feel the same way about mine! This is very uncharacteristic as this was not the same with my last 4 GT cars. My only diff is that I have the buckets but would welcome the heated seats if they were available. I'm in line for the next version but would not be surprised if I passed given my satisfaction with the current car. We'll see...
Old 03-05-2018, 01:28 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I know this has probably been posted before (possibly even by me) but it's worth doing it again. Looks nicely optioned at a pretty darn good price if there are no surprises.

http://www.countrybuickgmc.com/Vehic...-VA/3135411763
Old 03-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Here again I would suggest giving the 987 Spyder a shot. The beauty of the 987 Spyder top is that you can leave it on with the side windows down and you now have a sun shield. But the design really gives you nearly the same open top feeling with the sounds and environment finding their way into the car but no sun beating down on you. Don’t underestimate it’s capabilities either, weighing in at 2800 lbs with 320 Hp it is plenty quick and very balanced.
To be honest, I think the 987 is really good looking. The trunk humps work the best with the slanting tail lamps, IMO. However, I prefer considering a 992 version so I can configure it as I want.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:28 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Last question: Does the Spyder top leak in the rain? Are there air leaks around the windows?
I had the 987 and have the 981. Neither leaked for me in heavy rain, my 981 does not have air leaks but it does have noise. You can run the 981 though a car wash, not that I have.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:36 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

J

I actually haven't heard that much discussion about Spyder vs GTS on here, and sort of just assumed there wasn't much of a comparison. Of course you get the 3.8, and the bespoke aesthetics... and the roughly $30k premium for the difference...
Not if you bought new, the GTS was what $75k MSRP and the Spyder $82,100 MSRP.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:11 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by gearFX
Spyder production totals may be pretty well documented by now, but I never found official GTS production numbers from Porsche (though they have gone on record saying that the GTS model accounts for 15% of sales, so we could just take them at their word). A while back I analyzed Boxster classified ads on all of the major online websites to (unscientifically) reverse-engineer relative production distribution in the U.S. (not worldwide). My data is out of date now, but back then I found the following information (multiple value ranges are provided depending on which classified website you were looking at):

* 10-15% of all 2015 Boxster listings were GTS models. If 3102 Boxsters were sold in the U.S. in 2015, then a range of 330-465 units were likely GTS models.
* 13-21% of all 2016 Boxster listings were GTS models. If 2670 Boxsters were sold in the U.S. in 2016, then a range of 347-561 units were likely GTS models.

If the data is to be believed, that means total 2015-2016 Boxster GTS numbers in the U.S. may be somewhere in the range of 677-1026 units (plus or minus a few % for other unaccounted variables). Again, this is not scientific but better than nothing. In any case, the GTS still qualifies as a pretty uncommon car in its own right (I certainly don't see many at club events and almost never encounter one in the wild). Perhaps "exclusivity" was never artificially restricted (in terms of dealer order allocations), but final GTS numbers still compare favorably with the Spyder (granted the GTS doesn't have as much bespoke content to set it apart from its siblings, but even a "regular" Boxster is not a very common vehicle, based on annual sales figures in the U.S.).

Back on topic, I had considered the Spyder and even the 991.1 cab but the BGTS was the sweet spot for me and my needs and intended use. I agree with the others that suggest exploring (and test-driving) everything including the 987 to determine which one floats your boat the most. All of the cars mentioned have their own inherent magic and charms.
This data is tough to dispute; and come to think of it I think my car was the first Boxster GTS I'd ever laid eyes on, despite seeing a handful of Spyders at a few cars and coffees. I'll also be the first to tell you that manual GTS's are in short supply, especially Boxsters. Mine was one of two listed in the US when I was looking.

Originally Posted by il pirata
Not if you bought new, the GTS was what $75k MSRP and the Spyder $82,100 MSRP.
It's hard to believe that looking at used car values now. I bought my well-optioned GTS ($93k original MSRP) for $60k, and you can't find a Spyder for less than $90k. Part of that can be explained by my car had quite a few miles on it and most Spyders hover in the sub-10k range; which does a lot to corroborate my earlier hypothesis that they're not really intended or used for daily driving. My guess is it's more of a collector's item, but yeah it's tough to argue that the market really does speak for itself.

Also implies that the GTS is a relative bargain.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:01 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

This data is tough to dispute; and come to think of it I think my car was the first Boxster GTS I'd ever laid eyes on, despite seeing a handful of Spyders at a few cars and coffees. I'll also be the first to tell you that manual GTS's are in short supply, especially Boxsters. Mine was one of two listed in the US when I was looking.
Did anyone else catch in the recent Panorama magazine that PCNA now expects as much as 50% of 718 sales to be GTS models? Where is the additional newfound 35% of GTS demand coming from? (Unless dealers are being incentivized to order more GTS models for their showroom floor, and/or regular 718 and 718S units are being diverted to other markets, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy... ) Especially in light of the active speculation and people already getting on allocation lists for upcoming 718 GT4 and Spyder models, a 50% take-rate on 718 GTS models (even if GT4s and Sypder won't appear until next model year) just doesn't seem to add up (to me).
Old 03-08-2018, 11:57 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

The Spyder will truly quench that visceral thirst: N/A screamer, lighter, etc. I don't think I've seen any car generate as ecstatic a group of owners.

However, I recommend the 981 GTS as well. Brilliantly raucous 3.4, and imo one of the most perfect sports car packages, ever. The GT4 really overshadowed them, so imo the market appreciation for them will rise more-so in the future, along with eventual price appreciation. Destined classics.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:11 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

It's superb all around. I'm going to finally get it broken-in this spring so I can wind it past 4000! Super charismatic car, a long term keeper, and highly complimentary to my other Porsche stuff.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
^^^^^^
That!

I'd like to find a car that will satisfy me for a long time. I was just added to the list for a 718 Spyder. Thanks all for your input.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

We got a break in the weather today and I got a chance to pull the Spyder out for a quick drive into the foothills. It is such an epic car and just an event every time you get behind the wheel. I honestly could think of a more perfect road car and if I have to choose between this car and my new GT3, there's no way I'm keeping the GT3. This car has to stay in my garage.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder - Long Term Review