Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Wheel color for Black Cayman S 981
Tarmac (more of a flat semi gloss Black)
29.03%
Liquid Gloss Black
6.45%
Anthracite (Gloss Gun metal)
64.52%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide on HRE FF01 wheel color for my Black 981 Cayman S

Old 03-05-2018, 05:51 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 231 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Qz5gxt
OK going in tomorrow to order some HRE FF01 in anthracite finish (gloss gunmetal)
Let us know if you would like to order a set of wheels! We are HRE's next door neighbor so we can get you the wheels, tires, and TPMS all mounted and balanced before they arrive to you so all you have to do is swap them out once they arrive. Anthracite gets my vote by the way, looks awesome in person!

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 03-05-2018, 06:33 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

One more for Anthracite over here!
Old 03-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Qz5gxt
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
One more for Anthracite over here!

Well I put my order in last week for a new set of 20" HRE FF01 in Anthracite finish…… Now I learn the HRE tanks to strip the wheels to refinish is down…. Why would a new set of wheels need to have finish stripped and not just start as NEW unfinished wheels and put Anthracite finish on from start at factory? Especially since I am paying a $500 up charge for new wheels not refinished wheels? Kind of like seems used. Starting to wonder why I just don't buy used OEM 20" Porsche wheels and have them done in Gun Metal.......

Last edited by Qz5gxt; 03-13-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 231 Likes on 151 Posts

Well I put my order in last week for a new set of 20" HRE FF01 in Anthracite finish…… Now I learn the HRE tanks to strip the wheels to refinish is down…. Why would a new set of wheels need to have finish stripped and not just start as NEW unfinished wheels and put Anthracite finish on from start at factory? Especially since I am paying a $500 up charge for new wheels not refinished used wheels? Starting to wonder why I just don't buy used OEM 20" Porsche wheels and have them done in Gun Metal.......
You will be 100% happy with the result, I can assure you! The delay is a bummer, but it will be worth the wait. Their wheels and finish quality are absolutely next to none. They stock these wheels in the two most common finishes (silver and black.) Yes, some brands do carry blanks to coat etc. however, most of the time those are also machined and drilled to spec from a blank, cast wheel. These are 100% vehicle specific which will be best for your car in the long run! Excited to see photos!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:54 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Starting to wonder why I just don't buy used OEM 20" Porsche wheels and have them done in Gun Metal.......
Yep. Do that. Mas macho.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:51 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Here's a good deal on used OEM 20" wheels. I think they will look very sharp in gun metal:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ayman-gts.html
Old 03-13-2018, 05:19 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
Here's a good deal on used OEM 20" wheels. I think they will look very sharp in gun metal:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ayman-gts.html
Love those wheels. Wish I had a use for them!

Might want to put whether or not they include TPMS in your ad. Everyone is going to ask so it will save you the trouble.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:23 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Love those wheels. Wish I had a use for them!

Might want to put whether or not they include TPMS in your ad. Everyone is going to ask so it will save you the trouble.
Good point! But the wheels are not mine. I know TPMS are not included, though.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:52 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Well I put my order in last week for a new set of 20" HRE FF01 in Anthracite finish…… Now I learn the HRE tanks to strip the wheels to refinish is down…. Why would a new set of wheels need to have finish stripped and not just start as NEW unfinished wheels and put Anthracite finish on from start at factory? Especially since I am paying a $500 up charge for new wheels not refinished wheels? Kind of like seems used. Starting to wonder why I just don't buy used OEM 20" Porsche wheels and have them done in Gun Metal.......
Because asking our manufacturer to make this wheel in multiple finishes doesn't make much business sense. Since we're fully capable of stripping and refinishing wheels here at our facility in Vista, CA, it's substantially easier, and substantially less expensive to have the wheels made in 2 standard finishes, and optional finishes will be powdercoated in house at HRE. If we were to have upwards of 10+ standard finishes available, then we would have problems with inventory, this guy wants blue, but we only have copper in stock, this guy wants bronze, but dammit we sold out of bronze, can we do gold instead? Nah, it's way too much dude, no thanks, we're keeping it easier, and less expensive not just for HRE, but for the end users. Our goal was to make a much more affordable wheel, and optioning every color in the rainbow to have as a standard option would have killed the business. This is the most effective way to keep the price down, and keep things constantly moving without inventory issues because of having multiple different Sku's just based on the color of the wheel.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Qz5gxt
Rennlist Member

Because asking our manufacturer to make this wheel in multiple finishes doesn't make much business sense. Since we're fully capable of stripping and refinishing wheels here at our facility in Vista, CA, it's substantially easier, and substantially less expensive to have the wheels made in 2 standard finishes, and optional finishes will be powdercoated in house at HRE. If we were to have upwards of 10+ standard finishes available, then we would have problems with inventory, this guy wants blue, but we only have copper in stock, this guy wants bronze, but dammit we sold out of bronze, can we do gold instead? Nah, it's way too much dude, no thanks, we're keeping it easier, and less expensive not just for HRE, but for the end users. Our goal was to make a much more affordable wheel, and optioning every color in the rainbow to have as a standard option would have killed the business. This is the most effective way to keep the price down, and keep things constantly moving without inventory issues because of having multiple different Sku's just based on the color of the wheel.
Thanks understood, and I get it......but how long a wait with you're stripping system being down?
Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Thanks understood, and I get it......but how long a wait with you're stripping system being down?
If everything is running fine, usually 2 weeks is our turn around time, but that is correct, last week our strip tank went down and had to be fixed up before we could start using it again so we started quoting customers longer lead times just to prepare them for any potential delay.

EDIT - Apparently the strip tank is actually still down. I was out sick yesterday and heard it was back up and running but that's not the case now that I can get a visual on it. We're working diligently to get it back up and functioning of course so it doesn't back up everything else.

Last edited by HRE_Jurrian; 03-14-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Qz5gxt
Rennlist Member

If everything is running fine, usually 2 weeks is our turn around time, but that is correct, last week our strip tank went down and had to be fixed up before we could start using it again so we started quoting customers longer lead times just to prepare them for any potential delay. It's already back up and running so we shouldn't see any further delays though.
Thank you, Looking forward to getting my new 20" HRE FF01 in Anthracite and posting pictures of them on my Black Cayman S for the forum.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:38 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Thank you, Looking forward to getting my new 20" HRE FF01 in Anthracite and posting pictures of them on my Black Cayman S for the forum.
My pleasure, and thank you very much for your order! We're looking forward to checking out the photos too
Old 04-20-2018, 05:56 PM
Qz5gxt
Rennlist Member

My pleasure, and thank you very much for your order! We're looking forward to checking out the photos too

I sure hope these wheels look great and worth the wait....... Been almost 7 weeks since I ordered, and still no word when I will get them.....
Old 04-20-2018, 06:43 PM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I sure hope these wheels look great and worth the wait....... Been almost 7 weeks since I ordered, and still no word when I will get them.....
Which dealer or distributor did you place your FlowForm order with?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me decide on HRE FF01 wheel color for my Black 981 Cayman S