Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on shipping seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 05:57 PM
trackjunkie61
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on shipping seats

Recently purchased an 07 Cayman S equipped with track seats. Seller has OEM ones but auto transport will not ship since they don't fit in the car. How should Seller package the seats for FedEx or UPS ground (or other)? Just mount them to a piece of wood and wrap in a heavy plastic?
Old 03-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about OEM seats, but I recently shipped a pair of bucket seats via Fedex and put them in a U-Haul Grand Wardrobe box (about $15). They fit in there quite nicely. I wrapped each in the big movers blankets you can pick up at Harbor Freight, wrapped in plastic.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Alanine
I don't know about OEM seats, but I recently shipped a pair of bucket seats via Fedex and put them in a U-Haul Grand Wardrobe box (about $15). They fit in there quite nicely. I wrapped each in the big movers blankets you can pick up at Harbor Freight, wrapped in plastic.
This is the best method, though I'll add that you should use foam / airbags / scrunched paper - whatever you can to keep the seat from moving inside the box.

It might also be a better idea to swap the seats out & ship the lighter race seats. I've shipped 2 seats in one wardrobe box by 'top and tailing' them. Use even more protection to keep them from damaging each other.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:01 PM
trackjunkie61
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the U-Haul wardrobe suggestion.

Anybody know what the approx. weight of a seat?
Old 03-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I used the "top and tail method" and also plastic-wrapped them to each other to minimize movement. I also like to use those foam floor mats they sell at Costco as extra protection for the outer parts.

Quick Reply: Advise on shipping seats