Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

245-35-20f and 285-35-20r Winter Setup.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:46 PM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 245-35-20f and 285-35-20r Winter Setup.

An acquaintance of mine is selling the winter tires off of his 911. The sizes are 245-35-20 and 285-35-20. That's a diameter difference from OEM 718 Cayman (235-35-20 and 265-35-20) of +7mm front and +14mm rear.

I've asked around and our Porsche techs seem to think it will not be an issue. The tires will certainly fit and not interfere with steering or suspension. At the same time, our Porsche Service Manager seems to think it's not worth the potential for a headache down the road. He thinks the PSM will not work at its ideal level due to the imbalance of size from OEM.

Me personally, I like the chunky tire look for winter. I really want to use the 20's year round which is why I bought them in the first place. And, a +7mm difference from the rear compared to the front doesn't seem like much. That's like worn rear tires, right? Heck, we have guys with race tires that substantially vary from the OEM ratio.

Yes, I can get a great deal on a 19" winter wheel/tire combo, but if this 20" tire combo makes sense, this is my preferred solution.

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2018, 11:20 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

You probably already know this, but narrower tires are > wider tires for winter use. Why go even wider than stock, making your car perform worse in the snow? PSM would prob not work quite as well with the ratios thrown off, but that difference is not enough to do anything major. My bigger concern would be offsets and running overly wide winter tires.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:05 AM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
You probably already know this, but narrower tires are > wider tires for winter use. Why go even wider than stock, making your car perform worse in the snow? PSM would prob not work quite as well with the ratios thrown off, but that difference is not enough to do anything major. My bigger concern would be offsets and running overly wide winter tires.

Yes, I am aware. I'm not too concerned with offsets as well as a bit wider tire. Those sizes are still more narrow than other cars like 911's, GT-R's, etc. On the Cayman, we're talking +10mm wider up front and +20mm on the rear. I am mostly concerned with PASM and a potential adverse reaction in rough weather conditions. Frankly, I'll appreciate the slight increase in overall size to add some protection to the wheels.

Quick Reply: 245-35-20f and 285-35-20r Winter Setup.