Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Porsche Boxster - do I buy out OR return

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 01:21 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2 cents - buy it. Keep it. Drive it. Enjoy it!
Old 02-27-2018, 05:31 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
OP, keep it. I will never sell my 981 3.4L BS. It will be in my estate when I die unless I give it to my son before then, but only if he promises to never sell it and keeps it in the family.
I agree. This is the only car that I’ve ever felt I would want to keep forever. It’s near perfect!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
I agree. This is the only car that I’ve ever felt I would want to keep forever. It’s near perfect!
If I had the $$$ I would buy a 981 Boxster S and Cayman S in every color I could find, put 'em in a climate-controlled space and drive them on a rotating basis. I don't believe in garage queens, I'd drive 'em on track and street.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:48 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd keep it, you know in your gut you love the car already. Last time I sold for a "better" / newer car with more HP, it was a mistake.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:03 PM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Turn it in, or buy it outright and sell it!! I've done both.

I turned in my 2009 Boxster at the end of the lease and leased a 2013S. My 2013 Boxster S I bought outright paying off the residual from the lease. I used that money to get a 981 Spyder with the addition of $40K + $6K for the tax. Looking back on it, if I didn't have the money at the time, I would've turned in the 13 Boxster S and leased another Porsche which probably would've been the Spyder or a 911.

I understand about having a 6 NA vs. 4 cylinder turbo and all that, but the 718 drives and looks just as nice in my opinion. If it's not loud enough add some headers or new exhaust, or hit the sports exhaust button. Another way to look at it is....if I hadn't done all that beforehand I probably would never have been able to order a PTS manual 991.2 GT3 at MSRP and not have VIP status!

Yeah, you could extend the warranty on your current vehicle, but there comes a time, for me anyway, that I didn't want to keep having that "high school feeling" of hanging onto a car until it drops. At some point I'll sell the Spyder too although right now it's not going anywhere.

I was at the point that I felt that I wanted a new car every couple years along with the warranty and peace of mind it usually provides. I also didn't mind not having to worry about DMV inspection every other year. The insurance was also lower for a newer car (depending on how many miles you put on). Give it up and move on!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DannieK
Turn it in, or buy it outright and sell it!! I've done both.

I turned in my 2009 Boxster at the end of the lease and leased a 2013S. My 2013 Boxster S I bought outright paying off the residual from the lease. I used that money to get a 981 Spyder with the addition of $40K + $6K for the tax. Looking back on it, if I didn't have the money at the time, I would've turned in the 13 Boxster S and leased another Porsche which probably would've been the Spyder or a 911.

I understand about having a 6 NA vs. 4 cylinder turbo and all that, but the 718 drives and looks just as nice in my opinion. If it's not loud enough add some headers or new exhaust, or hit the sports exhaust button. Another way to look at it is....if I hadn't done all that beforehand I probably would never have been able to order a PTS manual 991.2 GT3 at MSRP and not have VIP status!

Yeah, you could extend the warranty on your current vehicle, but there comes a time, for me anyway, that I didn't want to keep having that "high school feeling" of hanging onto a car until it drops. At some point I'll sell the Spyder too although right now it's not going anywhere.

I was at the point that I felt that I wanted a new car every couple years along with the warranty and peace of mind it usually provides. I also didn't mind not having to worry about DMV inspection every other year. The insurance was also lower for a newer car (depending on how many miles you put on). Give it up and move on!
You don't have VIP status. You didn't buy a 918 from Porsche.

Quick Reply: 2015 Porsche Boxster - do I buy out OR return