Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions from a 981 base owner transitioning to a 987.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:46 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Impressions from a 981 base owner transitioning to a 987.2

I’ve had my 987.2 2.9L cayman for about a month now and wanted to share my impressions having had a 981 base Cayman in the past.
First of all I am a big fan of the base Caymans. I think they are the hidden gems of the Porsche family. To me the Cayman is not, and was never intended to be, a high horsepower drag car. As such I truly believe one can get just as much enjoyment out of the lower powered base cars that you can out of the CS. The joy of the car is in its sublime handling characteristics which can be exploited just as easily in th base car. Having said that, more power is never a bad thing if the chassis and brakes can handle it and this car can so get a CS if you can but I just don’t see the base cars as playing second fiddle.

So 981 vs 987.2.....aesthetically I think the 981 looks better on the inside and out. Perhaps More well balanced and a little more aggressive on the exterior and just a fresher, more up to date interior as you would expect.

Chassis/handling wise, they feel very similar which is to say both are amazing. Slight edge here to the 987.2 for its better steering feel.

Only perceptable downsides I saw in the 987.2 were the shifter feel (a bit loose), the laggy throttle, and just how damn quiet it was, both from the exhaust and the intake. Apparently the 987.2 is even a good bit quieter than the 987.1.

Good news is that I have addressed all 3 issues easily. I picked up the oem SSK and it is terrific. Much shorter throws and much tighter gear engagement. Perfect.
Second, and I was a little skeptical of this one, but the Sprint Booster V3 absolutely transformed the throttle input for the better. Actually quite astonished how much more enjoyable it has made the driving experience. The new device has like 18 settings so you can tailor your throttle sensitivity accordingly. Best $300 I’ve spent on a car in a long time.

I also picked up a SOUL catback and love it. Amazing build quality and screams like a banshee at WOT. Full review coming on this later.

So I am really quite pleased with the car now and for damn near half the price of my 981 I am ecstatic to have a Porsche back in the garage.

Thats it just thought I would share for anyone who was curious about the 987 vs 981 debate. Thx
Old 02-24-2018, 11:30 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 572 Posts

Thanks for posting. Congrats and I too ventured briefly into a base 981 Cayman PDK and was very very impressed with 90% of the car. What left me wanting was the steering feel. So when another 987.2 Gen 1 Spyder showed up I swapped out the Cayman via a private sale and jumped back in the Spyder. Love it. The steering feel is sublime and the gear box with the SSK is very very good. I've got a list of modifications to do on this car and one is to put in numeric SS cables. Interesting your comment about the Sprint Booster V3. I've heard of such things before and I'll go and check it out.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:44 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

From what I have read, it may not be as drastic a change if you already have Sport Chrono, which my car did not. There just seemed to be a slight delay between pushing down the gas pedal and actual forward momentum, to the point that it actually caused me to stall it once or twice in the first week which was quite embarrassing. But, yes, the Sprint Booster fixed it 100%. Throttle feels very predictable and more immediate. There are 3 modes; off (stock throttle mapping), on-green (or medium I suppose) and on-red (for race). For the green and the red there are 9 settings for each. I feel for me that green 9 is best for me. The new V3 also has a little switch for auto or manual, so its the same device for either gearbox. I know on the past iterations people would recommend buying the auto version only, even if you had a manual, as the manual was apparently too sensitive. Not so on the V3. I set mine to manual (I have a manual) and green 9 feels perfect. Not too sensitive at all, just immediate and predictable.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:48 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

I’m keeping my 987 Spyder as “OEM stock” as possible, but the Sprint Booster looks very intriguing. It looks like once you’ve established a preferred setting, you can also remove the switch control and it will still work at that setting, which is even more appealing to me as it would help retain the stock look to the car.

Fantastic news. Thanks for the post and congrats on your new ride!
Old 02-24-2018, 02:05 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sh944
I’m keeping my 987 Spyder as “OEM stock” as possible, but the Sprint Booster looks very intriguing. It looks like once you’ve established a preferred setting, you can also remove the switch control and it will still work at that setting, which is even more appealing to me as it would help retain the stock look to the car.

Fantastic news. Thanks for the post and congrats on your new ride!
I actually confirmed this with them just the other day. You can disconnect the wired controller after you have picked your favorite settings. The main device stays in place behind the pedal but the wired controller can be removed so no need to snake any wires. A big plus in my book too.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:30 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Congratulations. I badly want the steering feel of 987 Spyder. I would gladly trade half the power of 981 for it! We will never again get that. Ever! And, you are right; the cliché is true: it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow! Nothing feels better than winding up the revs to redline while enjoying the sweet sound track from engine/intake/exhaust at every possible opportunity. So, what motivated you to switch from 981 to 987.2?
Old 02-24-2018, 02:50 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_rider
Congratulations. I badly want the steering feel of 987 Spyder. I would gladly trade half the power of 981 for it! We will never again get that. Ever! And, you are right; the cliché is true: it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow! Nothing feels better than winding up the revs to redline while enjoying the sweet sound track from engine/intake/exhaust at every possible opportunity. So, what motivated you to switch from 981 to 987.2?
In my case I reluctantly sold my 981. We were expecting our first child and I needed something with a back seat so I picked up a B8.5 S4 which I still have. The S4 is an awesome DD and fast as hell but after the 981 I yearned for a small agile sports car and began searching for something to compliment the S4. Between the 2 cars I really can’t complain. I have a powerful, luxurious, practical, modern sedan in the Audi and then the 987.2 with all of its amazing handling characteristics that the S4 just can’t match due to its sheer size and weight. And both combined are not much more expensive than the 981 was by itself so I am one happy guy right now. Not looking forward to detailing 2 cars though!
Old 02-24-2018, 06:03 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! I think we need pics.

I also picked up a 2.9 base Cayman a couple of weeks ago - such a great drive and what a beautiful machine - so well put together. I actually ordered the Numeric shifter and cables before I even received the car, since the stock shifter feels like a video-game controller. Can't wait to install that. Looking forward to seeing your SOUL catback review - I agree that the stock exhaust is too quiet. SOUL price was a bit too rich for me (says the guy who dropped $1,000 on a shifter and cables!) and I was concerned it would be too loud, so I just ordered a Carnewal GT exhaust. Sprint Booster v3 was next on my list - will order one now! It's kind of tragic having throttle lag on an NA car. Reminds me of playing Quake on a dial-up connection in the 90s.

What seats and wheels did your car come with?

Also, do you find that your right leg interferes with the center console quite a bit ? I wonder if seats with more substantial bolstering would help alleviate that.

Name:  dnh413j.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  67.1 KB
Old 02-24-2018, 06:32 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
I’ve had my 987.2 2.9L cayman for about a month now and wanted to share my impressions
Originally Posted by Alanine
I also picked up a 2.9 base Cayman a couple of weeks ago - such a great drive and what a beautiful machine - so well put together.
Congrats to both of you on your Caymans The 987's are great driver's cars. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Impressions from a 981 base owner transitioning to a 987.2