Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Boxster S 6MT: what is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:37 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC

I don't entirely agree with those statements. Honda says that unless their cars burn more than a quart of oil per 1,000 miles, the car is operating normally. Others have disagreed and punished Honda for it. And rightfully so. Auto manufacturers take ridiculous positions against consumers every single day and if the only relevant position was that of the auto manufacturers we would all be in trouble.
How was Honda punished? My point is that the manufacturer sets the standards.I believe that burning a quart per 1000 mile standard has been looked at as not excessive for decades. I know that was the case back in 1970 when I complained about how much oil my Vette burned.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:49 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
How was Honda punished? My point is that the manufacturer sets the standards.I believe that burning a quart per 1000 mile standard has been looked at as not excessive for decades. I know that was the case back in 1970 when I complained about how much oil my Vette burned.
Class action lawsuit cost them a fortune. No modern vehicle should be reasonably expected to burn a quart of oil per thousand miles without extreme use as part of the equation. Any manufacturer that says otherwise is simply trying to avoid paying for repairs. IMHO of course.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC

Class action lawsuit cost them a fortune. No modern vehicle should be reasonably expected to burn a quart of oil per thousand miles without extreme use as part of the equation. Any manufacturer that says otherwise is simply trying to avoid paying for repairs. IMHO of course.
The claim was that the oil consumption caused the plugs to foul prematurely. An owner complained that his plugs were fouled after 55K miles. Under the conditions of the settlement, Honda agreed to extend the powertrain limited warranty for up to eight years after the original sale or lease of the vehicle. So at least the owners of the affected cars got an extended warranty, but no new engine.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

The claim was that the oil consumption caused the plugs to foul prematurely. An owner complained that his plugs were fouled after 55K miles. Under the conditions of the settlement, Honda agreed to extend the powertrain limited warranty for up to eight years after the original sale or lease of the vehicle. So at least the owners of the affected cars got an extended warranty, but no new engine.

The warranty extension covers what it covers, including engine replacement. That was obviously the last resort as Honda first tries to flash the powertrain control module In order to help the engine deal better with the cylinder cut off feature of the “eco” system, then they replaced your valve stem seals, then they replaced your piston rings, and if all of that didn’t work and you still had the intestinal fortitude to brave several more visits to the dealer and make Honda actually fix your car, they would replace your engine.

Your question was in what way was Honda punished for its oil consumption and the cost to Honda of performing under a warranty extension is the answer.

Quick Reply: 2013 Boxster S 6MT: what is it worth?