Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Headlight control unit defective"

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:17 AM
Leicht
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Headlight control unit defective"

Long post ahead!:

Just wondering if anyone ever encounter these warnings before in their 981/982:
" ⚠️️ Headlight control unit defective. Service required"
" ⚠️️ Check front parking light"
" ⚠️️ Check right signal indicator"

Alongside with the above warnings, my front trunk won't open and the horn does not work. So my headlights and right signal indicator won't work.

My 718 Boxster actually pop these warnings few months ago and had to go into the dealership few times where they change the control unit and other things which I can't remember but only temporarily fixing it before the same issue as above pops up again.

However, they managed to found the main issue where the current electricity supply to the right headlights/control unit are less than the left (working) side. It was all fine and dandy for few months until the warning happened again last Saturday.

My car has the entry and drive feature and I turn the ignition on (but not the engine) so I can listen to the radio while I was washing my rims. I only notice the warning after I was putting the car back into the garage. It temporarily fixes itself when I playfully try to open the front trunk on the driver side over the day. There was no more warning since then, until yesterday where I actually bring it back again to the dealership.

Again, it was intermittent on the way to the dealership. They reset the control unit and erase the warning using the diagnostic PC. The warning 1-2x through out the day but last night earlier, the warning become permanent. I've tried switch on and off the car and tried to play with the front release switch with no avail.

​​​​​​​How does the horn, front trunk and lights connected to each other?

Quick Reply: "Headlight control unit defective"