Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing Car Outdoors and Outdoor Cover Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts
Default Storing Car Outdoors and Outdoor Cover Q's

I'm moving to a new house in Monterey with a one car garage and, given the GT3 on the way, my Spyder either needs to go, get stored somewhere or covered and put on the driveway. I'd prefer not to sell it, the storage places near by are few and not good, and I'd really like to have more access to the car. So I'm considering covering it and leaving it on our fairly private driveway. Location is not right on the ocean, about 2-3 miles inland. Not really concerned about theft given the location and the fact that it will be blocked by our other cars.

Anyone do this with one of their nicer Porsches and have any issues? If so, what outdoor cover did you use? I used a Noah from Cal Car Cover for a while on my RS5, but it was not tight enough and would blow off in the wind. Pretty useless outdoors. Porsche doesn't offer a Spyder specific outdoor cover, so I'm wondering if the regular Boxster one would fit. Also heard Carnewal is pretty good. Am I crazy for keeping my Spyder outdoors?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:09 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

No, you're not crazy. It's not the most ideal situation, but it's not like you're moving to Minnesota either. Besides, GT3 + Spyder = the Ultimate Dynamic Duo.

I'm in a similar boat. My current garage situation allows me to park only one car in the garage, which means two sit out with one of them under cover. As you might have guessed, the Spyder gets the garage. When I want to take the Spyder out, I have to do the musical cars routine, pulling two cars off the drive, parking them on the street, backing the Spyder out, and then reversing the whole process after the Spyder is tucked away back in the garage. No fun, but not that huge a PITA either, particularly since the Spyder is not a DD and usually only comes out on weekends.

The car I cover has a custom cover fitted to the car made by Covercraft and it is heavy duty. Because of the custom, fairly tight fit, there isn't any way it can blow off by air getting underneath it, although I do have an option of running a cable underneath the car that attaches low on both sides of the cover near the bottom of the door panels. I've never had to use it, but if it gets super windy where you're moving, you might want to consider a cover with that feature. I'm not familiar with either of the cover brands you mentioned so of no help there. I've gotta think an outdoor cover for a 981 Boxster is going to work equally fine on the Spyder, but I've never tried as I use the Porsche indoor Spyder cover when the car is in the garage -- maybe others can weigh in on this.

On final thing: I don't know if you're moving into a subdivision or an area where there are lots of other homes nearby, but I live in a neighborhood and years ago when I had a fourth car, I advertised in our local monthly neighborhood bulletin that I was looking for garage space for one car and needed access to an A/C outlet to run a battery charger. I got three or four responses, all of them really ideal. So for a while, I stored the fourth car just two blocks away and it worked out great. Just a suggestion and reminder not to overlook possible storage solutions a neighbor may be able to provide for a (very) nominal sum.

Good luck. Hope you can find a solution you can live with that doesn't involve parting with the Spyder if at all possible!
Old 02-22-2018, 08:41 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Can you add another carport? Or put a lift in the garage to store over and under?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:18 PM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

There's currently another thread that's discussing the factory car cover. Suncoast sells them along with other etailers. Don't own one myself, but would consider one.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...endations.html
Old 02-23-2018, 01:33 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

No carport possible and Suncoast doesn't have an outdoor cover for the Spyder. Probably do a Carnewal or similar. And garage ceiling is too low for any lift.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

I wouldn't use an outdoor cover on a regular basis due to trapping moisture - especially with the marine layer factor in Monterey. Jockey's suggestion to try and find a neighbor with a garage space is a good one.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

In the past I found the biggest issue with an outdoor cover is if the car is not clean, the inside of the cover gets dirty, then you have to wash both. With single stage paint you also got light scratching (easy to remove though) if there was dirt, may not be a big issue with clear.

Did you check your thread on car storage, several places were mentioned? And check craigslist, there was/is one for rent in Pacifc Grove and another mid carmel valley.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:20 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Another option that's possible is an underground lift. If your new garage has enough square footage, the existing floor could be demolished & then excavate an adequate space for item storage & a lift that would support GT3 at ground level.
Something like this (video is dreadful & music is worse, but you get the idea) I've seen these things & they're very ergonomic when garage space/storage is at a premium.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The use of a cover isn't needed. Cars can withstand the mild CA weather easily.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
We are fortunate to have very mild weather but the UV can and will prematurely age the cars trim and interior.

I too would look for a neighbor that might have space available for rent. If you go the cover route you’ll likely find yourself driving the car less often and getting discouraged by moisture/dust creeping under the cover and causing wear tear on the car. This will lead you to eventually sell the car....or perhaps you’ll find the new GT3 isn’t as fun and you sell it and put the Spyder back in the garage.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:07 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by il pirata
In the past I found the biggest issue with an outdoor cover is if the car is not clean, the inside of the cover gets dirty, then you have to wash both. With single stage paint you also got light scratching (easy to remove though) if there was dirt, may not be a big issue with clear.

Did you check your thread on car storage, several places were mentioned? And check craigslist, there was/is one for rent in Pacifc Grove and another mid carmel valley.
Yeah you have to be super careful that both are clean. It's a PTIA. The place in PG is a scam apparently, and the Carmel Valley one is a private garage I believe. No real time access.

There is a 1500 sqft. garage at Garage Unlimited in Monterey for sale for a measly $459k...
Old 02-24-2018, 12:09 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
It's not the weather, its the tree sap. Park a car outside in Del Monte forest, even for a few hours, and you'll be getting back on close terms with your clay bar.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:13 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I've talked myself in circles and I've decided there's no way either car stay outside, so I'm gonna store one car up in San Jose in a place I used before and just swap them out ever couple of months Not very convenient, but I did more research on the covers and it's just not a good option.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I've talked myself in circles and I've decided there's no way either car stay outside, so I'm gonna store one car up in San Jose in a place I used before and just swap them out ever couple of months Not very convenient, but I did more research on the covers and it's just not a good option.
That makes the most sense. It will make you appreciate the cars while you have them too.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:36 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

I would hate to store my car any further than it already is. How about a full ppf wrap and a double car cover? I use an indoor cover now, never have to worry about minor swirls or scratches or maintaining a perfectly clean car cover thanks to the wrap. If outdoors, I'd throw an outdoor cover over it to handle sap and rain plus it keeps your indoor cover from getting dirty while the indoor cover ensures there's still a soft breathable layer between your car and the outdoor cover. The car cover plus full ppf wrap has been a seriously great ownership experience and my car is black!
If that doesn't work out you can always decide to store the car later.

Quick Reply: Storing Car Outdoors and Outdoor Cover Q's