Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone get a rough/clattering from PDK when cold & going uphill?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Anyone get a rough/clattering from PDK when cold & going uphill?

I posted this in the 991 forum, but as my CPO is winding, I want to try any other forum that has the same transmission to see who's felt this before as well (seems some guys with 2018's have had a similar issue on the 991 forums, which makes me feel a bit better).

When first starting my car for the day (engine/drivetrain cold), and pulling out of my garage, I have to drive up a moderately slanted hill to get to the first stop sign (I maybe get to about 20 MPH). During this slight uphill load to the drivetrain, I get this metallic/shuddering/clattering sound that even transmits enough of a feeling into the cabin that I have to let off the gas because I'm afraid of breaking something. If I accelerate hard and "push through," the car shakes it off and pushes through it. It is definitely not lugging the engine, and the car is in first gear the whole time.

It ONLY happens when the car is FIRST being driven, and going uphill. I.e, if I start the car for the day and drive on even roads, I wouldn't even know the "issue" (if it is an issue and not "normal") exists. It's so uniquely dependent upon being this EXACT scenario (first drive of the day, immediate uphill drive) that if you've never turned your car on and driven uphill, you wouldn't even know if your car exhibits said characteristic. Once I've driven it for about 30 seconds (that's all it takes) the car no longer will do it and will go uphill normally. Also, the amount of time I let the car idle has no effect whatsoever. How quickly it goes uphill and then how long it's been driven after is all that determines when it'll happen, and when it'll stop happening.

BTW, took it to the dealer, and of course, since they are on even roads, they couldn't reproduce it. Said that everything looks perfectly good and normal under the car. He said that sometimes a greasy flywheel can cause some erratic behavior like that, but my cars flywheel was perfectly dry.

Anybody ever notice this or have an idea of what it should be? It's the WEIRDEST thing. Otherwise, the car runs and performs like brand new. 2012.5, almost 20K miles, C2, PDK, S/C.

Attached are videos where the sound is happening. It's not easy to hear, but you can hopefully get an idea.
Attached Files

Last edited by K-A; 02-20-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Can't tell from the vids, but some noise and roughness is normal with most dual clutches when cold.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:56 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Can't tell from the vids, but some noise and roughness is normal with most dual clutches when cold.
Yeah that’s what I’ve heard (though didn’t have the issue with my Macan, but it has a VAG DCT technically). I don’t mind the sounds as much, but it’s the fact that I can feel the clatter/shuddering transmitting into the cabin that makes “normal” hard to believe.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

The VW DCT's are way different. My wife has a A3 with the DSG/DCT, and it is butter smooth and quiet compared to the Porsche box (doesn't shift as hard though ). Mine has some shudder when cold too, FWIW. If you've never driven a R35 GT-R, their gear boxes are so loud it sounds broken from day one. It loudly clunks and clanks and sounds like a mess, but that's just how they are. The 987/81 boxes are in between that and the VW in terms of noise and clunking.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
The VW DCT's are way different. My wife has a A3 with the DSG/DCT, and it is butter smooth and quiet compared to the Porsche box (doesn't shift as hard though ). Mine has some shudder when cold too, FWIW. If you've never driven a R35 GT-R, their gear boxes are so loud it sounds broken from day one. It loudly clunks and clanks and sounds like a mess, but that's just how they are. The 987/81 boxes are in between that and the VW in terms of noise and clunking.
This makes me feel a LOT better! Thanks.

Othwerwise the trans performs flawlessly and shifts rapidly.

Quick Reply: Anyone get a rough/clattering from PDK when cold & going uphill?