Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 CS vs 987.2 CS seat of the pants feel

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:52 PM
RuralRebel
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.1 CS vs 987.2 CS seat of the pants feel

Greetings and Salutations-

I'm currently in the obsessing stage. I'll bore the crowd with my backstory, but I miss the fun handling of my '03 Mini Cooper S I bought 15 years ago, especially since my north Georgia mountain roads are better for spirited driving than urban the Miami roads I was forced to drive in while stationed there all those years ago. In between the Mini and today two of my highlight vehicles were an 07 Toyota FJ 6M and a '12 Wrangler Unlimited 6sp because full grown mastiffs don't fit in small cars.

For once my tastes and budget intersect favorable. I know I may be in the minority, but I prefer the aesthetics inside and out of the 987.1 over those that followed. I have waffled on being concerned over the IMS issue or not, but generally feel that cars have been driven, not garaged (too low miles) or abused and neclected, are nothing to worry about.

My question relates to power deliver in the M97.21 vs the 9A1. When I moved from the 1GR FJ to the Pentastar Wrangler it took some getting used to the power delivery coming at high revs AND feeling a little lacking in the seat of the pants feel. I've done some analysis of the Porsche published power and torque curves on both. Porsche says 91% of torque available at 2500 rpm on the M97.21. On the 9A1 at 2500 rpm there is only ~6 lb-ft increase. The full 22 lb-ft bump doesn't come until much higher in the rom range. This is key to my question, I'm not one to ring my car to redline. I will get all the torque I want or need between 4000 and 5000 rpm. With that in mind I'd love to hear about the different characteristics of the two. At this point I'm 99.999% set on a 987.1 CS. The aesthetics work for me, the price works for me, so I guess I'm looking to hear about the glorious drive. Is the minor bump in power and torque noticeable? Please also describe how the difference between the two motors affect the seat of the pants experience. Thanks to all in advance.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I think you're overthinking it. The 9A1 does feel somewhat stronger and peppier than the M97, but it is not that big of a deal. It is noticeable to me, but not a game changer (like going from base to S, which is much more of a difference). I had a 2006 CS, 2009 CS, and now 2014 CS, so I had a good bit of experience with both engines. On IMS, please do your due diligence. I would not personally own a .1 car without fixing the IMS preventatively, but YMMV.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:21 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had both also. I agree that the difference in HP & torque feel is slight. I thought the more noticeable sensation difference was the mechanical engine sound. With the engine right behind you, you get a reasonable amount of gearing noise and I though the 987.2 had a noticeable smoother tone to it - not the exhaust or intake but the gearing itself.
Re reliability, AFAIK, there's a very slight IMS risk with the 987.1, far less than previous Boxster models. But the 9A1's come with a range of other improvements that would be especially valuable if you plan to track.
I don't believe the market values reflect the improvements in the 9A1 engine. Even though the 987.2's are harder to fine (fewer sold), I think they are in more of a sweet spot in value.
Bern
Old 02-19-2018, 06:07 PM
RuralRebel
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

No track plans, even though Road Atlanta is only an hour or so away, the north Georgia mountain roads will provide all the regular thrills I need. The "improvements" in the 9A1 and being at a stage in life to know it will be something I'll want to keep for *yeeears* to come has me waffling towards a .2 CS, but the big picture hopes the wife will want a Boxster/Boxster S of her own.

Keeping cost down is a factor in my overall preference for .1 CS as well as my preference for the exterior and interior aesthetics of a .1 CS. However, the desire for a long relationship with my Cayman means I'm going to have to be patient for the right priced .2 CS (and deal with the minor exterior and interior changes) or thorough with the Mx/background if I consider a .1 CS.

For the wife, 255 hp may be more than plenty for her tastes and driving style and 2.9 Boxsters are reasonably priced with the bonus that she'd probably prefer the interior improvements. I'd like to see in the end if I can keep the purchase of both combined about what I paid on a new Wrangler Unlinited a few years back. Not a hard ceiling, but a good number as a baseline.

Thanks again for the responses, it will give me something to pay attention to on test drives.

Quick Reply: 987.1 CS vs 987.2 CS seat of the pants feel