Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BGB Motorsports - 981 Cayman S Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 04:56 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default BGB Motorsports - 981 Cayman S Track Build

What started as a bone stock 981 Cayman S, has gradually turned into an all around great DE machine. This car first came to us late in the summer of 2016 for some upgrades to increase the level of safety, and prep the then bone stock street car to safely head to the track. We installed seats, belts and a harness bar to round out interior safety, then added wheel studs, stainless brake lines, Castrol SRF and performed some general maintenance to get the car ready to go on track. From there, Larry (the owner of said car) has been back for a number of rounds of incremental upgrades, as he wanted to better learn the benefits of each added modification, and of course breaking up the cost of the build didn't hurt either. Here's a rundown on the current build of the car, along with some photos of its current state. Eventually the car will become a full on track build, including the addition of full coilover suspension, 3.8L engine conversion, and a proper 6-pt roll cage.

INTERIOR & SAFETY
BGB Motorsports 4-pt Harness Bar
Sparco Evo II Seats
Scroth Enduro 6-pt HANs Harnesses
OE GT3 Seat Sliders & Brey Krause Side Mounts
Speedtactics 2.5lb Fire Bottle & Seat Rail Mount

SUSPENSION:
H&R Race Springs
Tarett Cup Series Control Arm Kit (Front & Rear)
OEM 991 GT3 3-Pos Adjustable Front Sway Bar
Tarett Engineering Front Sway Bar Drop Links
Tarett Engineering Adjustable Rear Toe Links
BGB Motorsports Race Alignment

BRAKES:
BGB Motorsports/Pro-Systems 997 GT3 6 Piston Front Brake Kit (380mm 2pc Front Disc)
OEM 991 GT3 Brake Master Cylinder
Brembo RE10 Brake Pads
4pc Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit
Tarett Caliper Stud Kit
Castrol SRF Brake Fluid

WHEELS & TIRES:
BC Forged Racing Wheels RZ05 (Front :18x9 & Rear : 18x10.5)
Pirelli P Zero Slicks (DH Compound) 265/645-18 // 305/660-18
MSI Wheel Studs & Open Ended Lug Nuts

EXTERIOR & AERO:
NR Automotive Replica GT4 Front Bumper Assembly
NR Automotive Replica GT4 Rear Wing Assembly

ENGINE & POWERTRAIN
OEM 3rd Radiator Kit
Otherwise Totally Stock (For Now)

We will soon be installing our Stage I Power Mods to this car to increase the engine performance of this 3.4L, before it goes under the knife for one of our 3.8L X51 PowerKit conversion.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 02-16-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:09 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Subscribed If I could only get a bolt in harness bar for my BS..... From my research so far, no one is making one. I'd be happy with some brackets attached to the OEM roll bar cross brace that come through the carpet and allow 5 point harness shoulder straps to be attached. I'd ditch the OEM seat and put in a racing bucket with sub belt bar.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:23 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the high points of BGB's builds is how well balanced each package is. All of the components are top quality and well matched to the level of performance the owner/driver is looking for. This is a great DE car that will become a beast once it gets a cage and the 3.8L conversion.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 AM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

A timely posting as I recently bought a 981 S manual to use primarily as a track car, to date I've added X73 suspension, Motul 660 fluid and Ferodo racing pads. As I go down the road of more track mods, I cant help but feel that from a reliability, hassle free ownership and cost perspective it might be better for me to rather buy a GT4 with clubsport package. Interested in opinions out there and sorry for hijacking the BGB thread. Love BGB mods btw, too bad i don't live in the US so cannot take advantage of their shop.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:20 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by okie981
Subscribed If I could only get a bolt in harness bar for my BS..... From my research so far, no one is making one. I'd be happy with some brackets attached to the OEM roll bar cross brace that come through the carpet and allow 5 point harness shoulder straps to be attached. I'd ditch the OEM seat and put in a racing bucket with sub belt bar.
Unfortunately we have yet to see any options for harness mounting on the 981 Boxsters either. I'd have to get one in the shop to tear apart and see if its something we could fab up, or incorporate into the factory roll bar bracing.

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
One of the high points of BGB's builds is how well balanced each package is. All of the components are top quality and well matched to the level of performance the owner/driver is looking for. This is a great DE car that will become a beast once it gets a cage and the 3.8L conversion.
Appreciate the kind words! We absolutely try to take the time to get to know our customers, and get a feel for their needs from these cars. Helps us to give our customers a great, well balanced package without over selling them on parts they don't need, or will eventually outgrow.

Originally Posted by Liquid911
A timely posting as I recently bought a 981 S manual to use primarily as a track car, to date I've added X73 suspension, Motul 660 fluid and Ferodo racing pads. As I go down the road of more track mods, I cant help but feel that from a reliability, hassle free ownership and cost perspective it might be better for me to rather buy a GT4 with clubsport package. Interested in opinions out there and sorry for hijacking the BGB thread. Love BGB mods btw, too bad i don't live in the US so cannot take advantage of their shop.
Sounds like you are off to a great start with your current 981 S! The GT4 is a great bang for the buck when you take into account all that you get for the money. Initial investment is a decent bit more, as well as higher consumable costs (tires & brakes mainly), but the 3.8L has great power, responds very well to bolt on mods and is seemingly bulletproof. You really can't go wrong either way!
Old 02-19-2018, 03:45 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Very cool, subscribed. Curious what your thoughts are on springs on stock struts from a performance view. Better, about the same?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Very cool, subscribed. Curious what your thoughts are on springs on stock struts from a performance view. Better, about the same?
No massive performance advantage, other than the fact that the lower ride height helps to dial in a bit more negative camber. The H&R springs are a good alternative to the OEM X73 package for an altitude adjustment
Old 02-20-2018, 03:18 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
No massive performance advantage, other than the fact that the lower ride height helps to dial in a bit more negative camber. The H&R springs are a good alternative to the OEM X73 package for an altitude adjustment
Cool, thanks John. Interested to see where the project goes.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:49 PM
Metcalfe
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

How was fitment on the NR parts?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Metcalfe
How was fitment on the NR parts?
Surprisingly fitment was pretty good, from the usual fiberglass parts we are used to! The fitment from the bumper to hood had a bit of a gap, but we addressed it with NR and they were going to modify the molds to correct it in the future. Otherwise, it was a near OEM fitment.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:23 AM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the BBK only on the fronts or both ends? If it’s only in the front, are there any issues with running a much larger setup up front?
Old 02-23-2018, 04:38 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

AWESOME car
Old 02-25-2018, 01:05 AM
slowwrx02
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

great build! part number for the H&R race springs?
Old 05-09-2019, 12:23 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In late winter this car came back for the final push for race track duty. Next step, Porsche Club of America tech inspection for a log book. It's time to go racing!
Attached Images          
Old 05-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Looking good!
Any supplemental PDK or differential cooling? Other than the 3rd radiator which may help a bit.

Quick Reply: BGB Motorsports - 981 Cayman S Track Build