Notices

BGB Motorsports - 981 Cayman S Track Build

Old 05-09-2019, 01:51 PM
garfunkle
User

Curious why you'd take a short cut like springs over Coilovers for a build like this.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Code
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, nice build!
Old 05-09-2019, 02:39 PM
JAhmed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Awesome build as always!!!
Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill View Post
Looking good!
Any supplemental PDK or differential cooling? Other than the 3rd radiator which may help a bit.
Currently no, there isnt any additional PDK cooling, however that will soon change! This has been a long term buildout for a great local customer, which has been built incrementally to suit his growing needs over the last couple of years. On our other in house race builds, we utilize the side mounted PDK cooling kit from LN Engineering on these 981's

Originally Posted by garfunkle View Post
Curious why you'd take a short cut like springs over Coilovers for a build like this.
In the original post, yes the car was equipped with just a set of H&R lowering springs as it was still a street driven DE car. Since then, this car has been upgraded with a set of MCS 2-way's with Hyperco springs and Tarett camber plates.

Originally Posted by Code View Post
Wow, nice build!
Originally Posted by JAhmed View Post
Awesome build as always!!!
Thanks fellas, this is definitely one beautiful car that we are proud to be apart of. Cant wait to see it out on track this weekend at Sebring!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 PM
futurz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Beautiful build John! I see some parts in there I will be interested in when I am ready for my next stage on my 981S. What was the final weight you ended up at with the side windows out? I am assuming the rear hatch still has the glass or did you replace that with lexan?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 11:52 PM
khoahtran
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports View Post
Currently no, there isnt any additional PDK cooling, however that will soon change! This has been a long term buildout for a great local customer, which has been built incrementally to suit his growing needs over the last couple of years. On our other in house race builds, we utilize the side mounted PDK cooling kit from LN Engineering on these 981's

In the original post, yes the car was equipped with just a set of H&R lowering springs as it was still a street driven DE car. Since then, this car has been upgraded with a set of MCS 2-way's with Hyperco springs and Tarett camber plates.

Thanks fellas, this is definitely one beautiful car that we are proud to be apart of. Cant wait to see it out on track this weekend at Sebring!

How does the LN engineering cooler perform? Do you recommend it for a 90% track 10% street car? In the 26 track days Iíve done...havenít had any issues with the pdk but recently ran some pirelli slicks and saw a bit of weeping at bottom of the pdk. Been dry for 4 track days since that day.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:29 PM
futurz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did the customer switch to the GT4 wing for aesthetic reasons or was it because you thought the aero would be better than the Getty wing?
Those BC Forged wheels look really good!
Old 05-11-2019, 07:23 PM
bluevick07
New User

Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by futurz View Post
Beautiful build John! I see some parts in there I will be interested in when I am ready for my next stage on my 981S. What was the final weight you ended up at with the side windows out? I am assuming the rear hatch still has the glass or did you replace that with lexan?
Thanks
Thank you sir! This one came in right in the 2900-ish range after the cage. No other lightweight bits to speak of yet in the car (stock doors, hatch, glass etc) so still a few lbs to shed!

Originally Posted by khoahtran View Post
How does the LN engineering cooler perform? Do you recommend it for a 90% track 10% street car? In the 26 track days Iíve done...havenít had any issues with the pdk but recently ran some pirelli slicks and saw a bit of weeping at bottom of the pdk. Been dry for 4 track days since that day.
I'll have to pull some logs and compare the data, but anything we can do to assist in cooling the PDK is always a good idea.

Originally Posted by futurz View Post
Did the customer switch to the GT4 wing for aesthetic reasons or was it because you thought the aero would be better than the Getty wing?
Those BC Forged wheels look really good!
Actually, the other way around! The customer originally had the NR automotive replica GT4 wing, which was removed in favor of the more sturdy Getty base & wing assembly. We run Getty on all of our track builds!
Old 05-13-2019, 11:48 AM
khoahtran
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports View Post
Actually, the other way around! The customer originally had the NR automotive replica GT4 wing, which was removed in favor of the more sturdy Getty base & wing assembly. We run Getty on all of our track builds!
Were there any issues with the NR gt4 wing? The plastic uprights and mounting to the hatch doesnít seem to be something that can take track abuse. Do you recommend the Getty wing and base without the gt4 front? With colonel mustard you guys added the twl front lip. In either case front df was added.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by khoahtran View Post
Were there any issues with the NR gt4 wing? The plastic uprights and mounting to the hatch doesnít seem to be something that can take track abuse. Do you recommend the Getty wing and base without the gt4 front? With colonel mustard you guys added the twl front lip. In either case front df was added.
The NR wing looked nice, however we didnt feel confident sending the car around Daytona to see speeds in excess of 150mph with it. It held on fine around tracks with a little less speed in them, but anything over 100mph and it did see a big of movement. Definitely add some front aero to go with the addition of a rear wing. Doesn't necessarily need to be a GT4 front end, but planting the front end is just as important to keep the front end from feeling like its floating around!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BGB Motorsports - 981 Cayman S Track Build

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: