Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BGB Motorsports - 981 Cayman S Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 01:51 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Curious why you'd take a short cut like springs over Coilovers for a build like this.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow, nice build!
Old 05-09-2019, 02:39 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,911 Likes on 794 Posts

Awesome build as always!!!
Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Looking good!
Any supplemental PDK or differential cooling? Other than the 3rd radiator which may help a bit.
Currently no, there isnt any additional PDK cooling, however that will soon change! This has been a long term buildout for a great local customer, which has been built incrementally to suit his growing needs over the last couple of years. On our other in house race builds, we utilize the side mounted PDK cooling kit from LN Engineering on these 981's

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Curious why you'd take a short cut like springs over Coilovers for a build like this.
In the original post, yes the car was equipped with just a set of H&R lowering springs as it was still a street driven DE car. Since then, this car has been upgraded with a set of MCS 2-way's with Hyperco springs and Tarett camber plates.

Originally Posted by Code
Wow, nice build!
Originally Posted by JAhmed
Awesome build as always!!!
Thanks fellas, this is definitely one beautiful car that we are proud to be apart of. Cant wait to see it out on track this weekend at Sebring!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful build John! I see some parts in there I will be interested in when I am ready for my next stage on my 981S. What was the final weight you ended up at with the side windows out? I am assuming the rear hatch still has the glass or did you replace that with lexan?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 11:52 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Currently no, there isnt any additional PDK cooling, however that will soon change! This has been a long term buildout for a great local customer, which has been built incrementally to suit his growing needs over the last couple of years. On our other in house race builds, we utilize the side mounted PDK cooling kit from LN Engineering on these 981's

In the original post, yes the car was equipped with just a set of H&R lowering springs as it was still a street driven DE car. Since then, this car has been upgraded with a set of MCS 2-way's with Hyperco springs and Tarett camber plates.

Thanks fellas, this is definitely one beautiful car that we are proud to be apart of. Cant wait to see it out on track this weekend at Sebring!

How does the LN engineering cooler perform? Do you recommend it for a 90% track 10% street car? In the 26 track days I’ve done...haven’t had any issues with the pdk but recently ran some pirelli slicks and saw a bit of weeping at bottom of the pdk. Been dry for 4 track days since that day.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:29 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did the customer switch to the GT4 wing for aesthetic reasons or was it because you thought the aero would be better than the Getty wing?
Those BC Forged wheels look really good!
Old 05-11-2019, 07:23 PM
bluevick07
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by futurz
Beautiful build John! I see some parts in there I will be interested in when I am ready for my next stage on my 981S. What was the final weight you ended up at with the side windows out? I am assuming the rear hatch still has the glass or did you replace that with lexan?
Thanks
Thank you sir! This one came in right in the 2900-ish range after the cage. No other lightweight bits to speak of yet in the car (stock doors, hatch, glass etc) so still a few lbs to shed!

Originally Posted by khoahtran
How does the LN engineering cooler perform? Do you recommend it for a 90% track 10% street car? In the 26 track days I’ve done...haven’t had any issues with the pdk but recently ran some pirelli slicks and saw a bit of weeping at bottom of the pdk. Been dry for 4 track days since that day.
I'll have to pull some logs and compare the data, but anything we can do to assist in cooling the PDK is always a good idea.

Originally Posted by futurz
Did the customer switch to the GT4 wing for aesthetic reasons or was it because you thought the aero would be better than the Getty wing?
Those BC Forged wheels look really good!
Actually, the other way around! The customer originally had the NR automotive replica GT4 wing, which was removed in favor of the more sturdy Getty base & wing assembly. We run Getty on all of our track builds!
Old 05-13-2019, 11:48 AM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Actually, the other way around! The customer originally had the NR automotive replica GT4 wing, which was removed in favor of the more sturdy Getty base & wing assembly. We run Getty on all of our track builds!
Were there any issues with the NR gt4 wing? The plastic uprights and mounting to the hatch doesn’t seem to be something that can take track abuse. Do you recommend the Getty wing and base without the gt4 front? With colonel mustard you guys added the twl front lip. In either case front df was added.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by khoahtran
Were there any issues with the NR gt4 wing? The plastic uprights and mounting to the hatch doesn’t seem to be something that can take track abuse. Do you recommend the Getty wing and base without the gt4 front? With colonel mustard you guys added the twl front lip. In either case front df was added.
The NR wing looked nice, however we didnt feel confident sending the car around Daytona to see speeds in excess of 150mph with it. It held on fine around tracks with a little less speed in them, but anything over 100mph and it did see a big of movement. Definitely add some front aero to go with the addition of a rear wing. Doesn't necessarily need to be a GT4 front end, but planting the front end is just as important to keep the front end from feeling like its floating around!
Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 PM
imstimpy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What are the offsets for those wheels? That seems like a lot of wheel and tire to originally fit under the fenders without camber plates.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:34 PM
mgent
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys sell, or can you provide the parts needed for the OE GT3 slides to mount a seat/harness? I have a Recaro SPG XL in my 981 on a GMG seat base, but it sits higher than I would like, and am looking for ways to lower the seat while maintaining the slider and harness mounting points (would happily give up slider to reduce height)...

Quick Reply: BGB Motorsports - 981 Cayman S Track Build