Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wanted to hate the 718 but............

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:35 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
I love people who feel like they need to list all of their current and previous vehicles in an obvious attempt to try and impress people.

Err, no.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:41 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Let's just agree to disagree, and move on. It's getting tiresome.
Probably the best course of action. I don't fault my buddy who has a new Grand Sport for not buying a Cayman, and don't fault you for buying a 718 if that's what floats your boat.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:41 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I hate to tell you this but the Cayman/Boxster has always been, and will probably always be, an entry level Porsche.
I'll argue that a tiny bit.

The Boxster/Cayman is the entry level Porsche sports car. The Macan is the entry level Porsche.

What a glorious time to be alive though, to be able to consider the 981/718 entry level. Although from a performance perspective I guess that thought loses a bit of its luster when the Camaro SS exists (let alone the ZL1 or ZL1 1LE).
Old 02-14-2018, 01:19 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Other than sound, how is the 981 the more engaging road car than the 718?

How would you know? Do you own one? How long of a test drive did you take in order to make that opinion?

Again, do you own one? If not, how would you know? I drove a base 981 and thought it was awful to drive at low RPM's. For my money, I couldn't justify owning one that had such poor low end torque. I wasn't looking for Vette torque but was more than the 981 provided.

I don't agree at all that 718 owners are trying to get 981 owners to say the 718 is better, rather most are merely pointing out the differences. All I hear from 981 owners is "sound, sound, sound". IMO, sound is just a fraction of the driving experience. For me, a very small fraction. I get that for other it means more - all the power to them. IMO, performance, handling, braking, exterior and interior styling are just as, if not more, important. Personally, I don't need a ton of top end HP to enjoy a sports car but I just couldn't live with the poor of low end torque the 981. Others have no issues with it, and that's fine. We all have our own priorities as to what a sports car should be, and the 981 didn't meet those priorities for me, or I would have purchased one.

Let's just agree to disagree, and move on. It's getting tiresome.
For starters you asked the questions and IMO experience is worth so much. I agree it is getting tiresome. I have extensive experience with just about every Porsche made along with some of the true rarities. I know what excites me and what the older and newer cars offer. Not all of Porsche's classics I consider great although they offered things the newer cars no longer can. I would give up any new Porsche for my older Porsche's any day of the week. They aren't as fast are dated and some even consider ugly but they are true sports cars in every sense and the new cars are so far from what their origins came from I find it hard to embrace any of them under normal driving conditions. The 981 IMO comes closer than any of the new turbo model Porsche's.

You have every right to disagree with me after all it is the internet. No I don't own one; I explained why. I have driven them extensively. Both on the street and on closed courses like the Porsche driving experience. I agree they are very capable cars. To me sound is a critical aspect of the overall driving experience. 1/3rd IMO. Other than the 981BGTS with sport package the cars I owned all sounded like crap from the factory and I have modified them to extract some wonderful symphonies. If you want to hear a true glorious sound my C2 wins hands down but my turbo has a sound that blows many N/A cars away and nothing like the V8 growl of the 928. The burble on lift off from my turbo, the sound the WG makes when it opens and dumps the extra boost is intoxicating. No 4 banger can make these sounds at least without extensive modifications and even then. If I were going to build a dedicated track car I would probably chose the 718. It has some advantages and sound is not as critical on track. But I am talking street driving and if I wanted the Porsche experience in a new street car I would opt for a GT3 or possibly the new GT3T if I didn't want all the over the top looks.

I don't consider my BGTS to have poor low end torque in fact quite the contrary. The 718 in manual (I only own manual tranny sports cars) is laggy and has no torque unless on boost and higher in the revs as most turbo cars do. The PDK works IMO overtime to keep the revs up just as on my Macan GTS in sport mode. Although the 6 does it better.

I can't seem to get through to some that I don't dislike the 718 I just prefer the 981 BGTS better. I prefer the styling, the pop up wing and the rear valance of GTS. The 718's LED headlights and the shape of them is a step up of the right direction but not enough to do it for me and they are far too similar to say one is better looking than the other.

Enjoy your 718 although I am allowed my opinion as you yours.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:33 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Thread is closed. lajoiedp and cobalt you have a PM.

Quick Reply: I wanted to hate the 718 but............