Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 base PPI results - to buy or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:09 PM
lonewolfsx
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.1 base PPI results - to buy or not?

Hello all, I've searched for a few of these topics but I want a more tailored response from anyone who has owned one of these. I just had a 2008 Cayman 2.7L with ~48k miles inspected, and I got a few things back on it. I spoke with the seller about them and he isn't willing to drop to price the full amount of the repair bill... I didn't expect him to but I'm still curious how others might handle this situation.

On the PPI
1- The driver's side interior door handle doesn't spring flush all the way. I've read about this, and I'm absolutely capable and willing to take the door panel off and fix/replace the spring mechanism in there. The repair shop quoted a lot for this one, replacing the cable and quite a bit of labor time... not a big deal to DIY for me, just wastes a few hours one weekend.
2- The CDR-24 head unit is missing the "FM" button. I've seen that Porsche doesn't let you buy the buttons alone, you have to get a new unit... or I could just hope someone on the forums has an old one and would sell me just the FM button. That or I could go junkyard diving. If it's missing this button, can I still switch from "CD" to "FM" when in the car? It does not have the bose system, so I suppose I could just replace the heat unit entirely, but I'm not sure if that's worth the expense at this point. The stock CDR-24 replacement is billed at over $1000, seems extreme to me for just a button (but it will bother me to have a missing button, so I may look at used units if I don't go aftermarket).
3- The battery is the wrong size. That worries me a little, it is supposedly a new battery so it may be an honest mistake, but I'll want to get the right unit in there so I don't get locked out of my car and have to jump the fuse box. I've had to do that before already and it always happens at the worst times. New battery is going to run $150 range and I can install myself.
4- This is the big one - the water pump is showing some flaking pink underneath, and my mechanic tells me that it isn't "dripping" but has begun to leak. This is a relatively common problem so I don't think the car is abused or anything, but the quoted cost on the water pump + thermostat + fluid replacement was $1300 or so. I'm not really willing to do a job like this myself, and I know there is a bit of labor involved because of what has to be done to access the pump.

So, the car is well priced for its mileage and the dealer has been very cooperative and transparent about the whole thing. I was able to negotiate $800 off, which is not much, but it's still well priced with that. What do you all think... should I hold out for a lower price? Just DIY the problems and enjoy the car's normal issues? Or give it up and look at other ones completely?

Thanks

EDIT: one last thing, it only has one key. I suppose it isn't "required," but I'd like to have a spare and I know these run anywhere from $300-500 from a dealership, the only place it seems can make them reliably.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:41 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Very hard to tell without knowing other details of the car, i.e. is it a good deal or not/is the price fair, is $800 off enough. That said...

The CDR-24 is easy to find used for $200-$300. With the battery - what is the wrong size on it? The actual dimensions or the CCA's? Clearly not an expensive replacement.

Given the water pump though, I'm surprised the dealer wouldn't drop more money from the purchase price?

Key shouldn't be more than $350-400 programmed.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 PM
lonewolfsx
6th Gear

Thanks for the advice. It is already what I'd consider a good price, right around $22k including fees (but excluding taxes). I have a big spreadsheet that has basically every base Cayman that's been for sale the last two months with price, mileage, and options and this one ranks well. There are others that cost less but are higher mileage of course.

I've never bought a used car before, and this is also my first Porsche. I suppose I'm just nervous that the good price on this means I'm going to end up spending a bunch fixing tiny details, but I suppose little imperfections are just part of a used car purchase.

ive seen replacement used CDR-24's in the 200-300 range as you mention but that's a lot just to fix one button. I guess long term I'll just go with an aftermarket unit.

The plus side is that it doesn't have any body panel or frame damage, alignment issues, or any noticeable issues like RMS leaking so it is well sorted mechanically - better than one or two others I've had PPI'd recently (rust issues and oil leaks).
Old 02-08-2018, 11:50 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You'll pay $200+ for an entry level aftermarket, it will be harder to install and never look nearly as nice... Sounds like overall though including the couple grand to get it up to par you are happy with the deal, only you can make that determination.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 PM
AMGE
Intermediate

22k seems high for a base 987.1 whats the mileage on it?
Old 02-18-2018, 01:59 PM
SLVRon
Advanced

Originally Posted by lonewolfsx
4- This is the big one - the water pump is showing some flaking pink underneath, and my mechanic tells me that it isn't "dripping" but has begun to leak. This is a relatively common problem so I don't think the car is abused or anything, but the quoted cost on the water pump + thermostat + fluid replacement was $1300 or so. I'm not really willing to do a job like this myself, and I know there is a bit of labor involved because of what has to be done to access the pump.
I'm in a similar position with a 987.2 Cayman. The PPI identified an abnormal noise, which was traced back to the power steering pump. As the car was priced pretty competitively already, the dealer agreed to buy the OEM repalcement part(s), and I'm paying to have it installed. You might like to try that approach also - that would perhaps be a 50/50 split of the cost.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Just my opinion... (and you asked... )

IF you were specifically looking for the 987.2 I'd say deal with it, but it's an early car and there are so many more out there than the .2s.

Wait and find a perfect (or close to) as there is "always" another out there if one is willing to be patient -- or perhaps in this case, a little more patient.

Also see here : https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...n-987-2-a.html

Good luck either way!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:45 PM
AMGE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Just my opinion... (and you asked... )

IF you were specifically looking for the 987.2 I'd say deal with it, but it's an early car and there are so many more out there than the .2s.

Wait and find a perfect (or close to) as there is "always" another out there if one is willing to be patient -- or perhaps in this case, a little more patient.

Also see here : https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...n-987-2-a.html

Good luck either way!

I keep finding that I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a car but I end up waiting longer and longer. The key is to be practical with your money. New generations are rolling out of factories and it seems that the performance era is reaching new heights, as with the technology.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGE
I keep finding that I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a car but I end up waiting longer and longer. The key is to be practical with your money. New generations are rolling out of factories and it seems that the performance era is reaching new heights, as with the technology.
Agreed. Which is why I was lucky to end up with a 981 over the 987 for just a few thousand more at the time. Of course, I realize some folks don't have the time I had in scouring the country for the best bang for the buck. I definitely spent too much time away from my duties looking for the right car.

I've seen some really sweet, fairly low mileage 987.1 cars that appeared to be in 100% working order for under 25k. I just feel one must not get too emotional about any one particular car -- there is always another out there.

Also, if someone is asking questions about whether this car or that car is right -- it's most likely not right. One will know when it's the right car. (budget, options, condition, etc)
Old 02-19-2018, 01:56 PM
AMGE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Agreed. Which is why I was lucky to end up with a 981 over the 987 for just a few thousand more at the time. Of course, I realize some folks don't have the time I had in scouring the country for the best bang for the buck. I definitely spent too much time away from my duties looking for the right car.

I've seen some really sweet, fairly low mileage 987.1 cars that appeared to be in 100% working order for under 25k. I just feel one must not get too emotional about any one particular car -- there is always another out there.

Also, if someone is asking questions about whether this car or that car is right -- it's most likely not right. One will know when it's the right car. (budget, options, condition, etc)
Absolutely, i'm at that point now where I keep looking for price floors on these cars. I really can wait another year to see the 981 get down or maybe wait out until the 718. The problem is that owners are glued to their cars even when they dont dive em!
Old 02-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I just sold a 2007 base Cayman that had quite a few mods (suspension and power). Frankly I think you'll regret not having an "S" with the 3.4L. That 2.7, even with mods, was just too under powered.

Fun little car, but simply just didn't have enough power / torque.

Quick Reply: 987.1 base PPI results - to buy or not?