Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ramp ideas and options...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I drive the rear wheels on the rhino ramps, then lift the front left about 4" with the floor jack and put 2 pieces of 2x6 wood under the tire. Then raise the front right high enough to get the other ramp underneath, then back to the left and raise that to get the final ramp in place. This ensures a nice flat setup that I use for changing oil.

The same 2x6 wood can be used to drive the front wheels up on the ramps if you go fast enough, but a bit dicey, even with additional rubber under the ramps.
Nice floor jack. What brand and model, and do you like it?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:27 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Nice floor jack. What brand and model, and do you like it?
It looks like the Harbor Freight racing jack:

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

Very popular among the autocrossers for its super low profile and portability. I have owned a few and still own one. Works very well.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:35 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

The red area is where I jack up the car in the rear: I just use a hockey puck on the jack pad. If you look above that, you will see a very beefy suspension piece that connects to the unibody. HOWEVER, in the 987.2 that diagonal piece is solid aluminum, and I didn't realize that in the 981 they've gone to a stamped piece. You may want to do some searching: it looks like many 981 owners lift from there without issue, but my car isn't like that so while I suspect it's okay I can't tell you for sure.

Fabspeed sells a bolt-on jack point for the rear of the support plate (blue area) if you want that option.

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-981-...ar-jack-point/
Old 02-12-2018, 05:57 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
The red area is where I jack up the car in the rear: I just use a hockey puck on the jack pad. If you look above that, you will see a very beefy suspension piece that connects to the unibody. HOWEVER, in the 987.2 that diagonal piece is solid aluminum, and I didn't realize that in the 981 they've gone to a stamped piece. You may want to do some searching: it looks like many 981 owners lift from there without issue, but my car isn't like that so while I suspect it's okay I can't tell you for sure.

Fabspeed sells a bolt-on jack point for the rear of the support plate (blue area) if you want that option.

I really appreciate your detailed explanation. The Fabspeed bolt-on jack point looks to be a very good solution. I think I will go ahead and order one. Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:59 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoose

I like that. Gets the entire rear off the ground at the same time. Although red might be too much. I'd be nice if there was a simple way to get the front up in the air all at one time.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:21 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts

I use Race Ramps after trying and failing to build DIY ramps that looked like crap.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:08 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
It looks like the Harbor Freight racing jack:

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

Very popular among the autocrossers for its super low profile and portability. I have owned a few and still own one. Works very well.
Correct.

Works well, no issues. Also a favorite of the spiderbros in the garage.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 AM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Why not just use long ramps? These look decent. https://www.discountramps.com/car-re...mps/p/CR-7214/
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a low profile jack as well - with the lift bars it still won't fit under the Spyder. The lift bars make for a smooth lift though: http://liftbars.com/
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daylorb
I have a low profile jack as well - with the lift bars it still won't fit under the Spyder. The lift bars make for a smooth lift though: http://liftbars.com/
I was wondering what the "lift bars" were. Now I see why it won't fit under the Spyder without ramps.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I was wondering what the "lift bars" were. Now I see why it won't fit under the Spyder without ramps.
Yes - I looked pretty high and low for a jack that would work, but no luck. Adding the ramps into the equation though is inexpensive and quick. Adds maybe 2-3 min total. The lift bars engage nicely into the factory jack points, really easy to engage the jack, jack up on side, then the other, car is nice and level and secure. It is a pretty good process.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:09 PM
Bill in VA
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice solution. May have to try it. I have had a lift for years that works great for my old classic American iron. Can't get my 986 on it though...nor the 718 for the matter
Old 02-24-2018, 03:53 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Learned a new option at today's PCA gathering:

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/home.html

It is a very clever design. Since the pad is very low in profile (especially if you go with the recessed pad with a hockey puck), it should fit under lowered Boxsters with no problem. The only issue is that the maximum height is only 12.75" without a hockey puck. I'm not sure if that is high enough for a variety of work. $299 for a pair is quite pricy, too.

What looks to be a better solution as far as the height is concerned is this:

https://safejacks.com/products/the-r...d-by-safe-jack

These stands will raise a car to maximum of 18.5". $249 for a pair sounds like a better deal. However, this unit will add 1.9" to the jack's profile. My jack's profile is 3.5" so that this thing won't fit under the car without putting the car on a ramp. It's not the end of the world but is annoying.

I still like this solution best:

But the tech foreman at my local dealer wasn't sure if this particular point could hold the weight safely. The bar holding the plate looked to be solid aluminum and was attached directly to the frame. To me, it looked sturdy enough. I should probably ask Fabspeed about its reliability.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:36 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

To me, it looked sturdy enough. I should probably ask Fabspeed about its reliability.
I'm sure Fabspeed will tell you exactly what you want to hear.

Jacking it up from that spot can be done and I'm sure it's been done many times by others who've purchased that part, but it's definitely not a spot designed for it. Unfortunately other than the 4 dedicated jack points, there are no proper places. I feel like it's going to be one of those things that seems OK until someone experiences an issue with it.

Manufacturers are making DIY jobs more difficult and this is another example of that. My E39 M5 has a dedicated spot to lift the front, but not the rear. But that's a 15-year-old car....
Old 02-26-2018, 10:36 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I'm sure Fabspeed will tell you exactly what you want to hear.

Jacking it up from that spot can be done and I'm sure it's been done many times by others who've purchased that part, but it's definitely not a spot designed for it. Unfortunately other than the 4 dedicated jack points, there are no proper places. I feel like it's going to be one of those things that seems OK until someone experiences an issue with it.

Manufacturers are making DIY jobs more difficult and this is another example of that. My E39 M5 has a dedicated spot to lift the front, but not the rear. But that's a 15-year-old car....
As expected, Fabspeed came back to me with that all their shop race cars had this part installed and there has been no failure reported in the past 3 years since the release of this part. I deem this statement good enough for me. I think it is safe to use this spot to lift the entire rear to put on jack stands and again to take it off from the stands. I don't think I will keep the car on the jack using this spot for a prolonged period, though.

The worst that could possibly happen is to bend the bar holding the plate. It looks that the bar is there just to protect the transmission so bending it a little will not be a big deal.

Quick Reply: Ramp ideas and options...