Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera Red Natural Leather Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Love the red - great looking car. Do you think the pen marks were there and they just missed them? Vs dyed-over? I'd probably take it to a detail shop, but you may want to pick up some dye to match - you can get dye online that works pretty well. I've never touch car leather, but I know folks use all sorts of varieties of q-tip/alcohol/ink remove pens/nail polish remover. Sounds like a good project for someone who deals with high-end detailing though before you wind up with a lot of spots in the car...
Old 02-09-2018, 12:08 AM
Bluestrike2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss33
The saga of the red interior continues...I had the cars PPI done down at an indy shop in Houston (1 1/2hr drive) and when I got home I noticed a few ball point pen markings on my seats that had not been there before. I know I can take it back and have the shop fix it, but any suggestions on how to clean this off myself without damaging the leather? I already tried Leather Masters Soft Cleaner, and it took the darkness out, but still very visible pen markings on my seats. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Is there pen ink, or is it just the indentation? If it's ink, you can use a mix of isopropyl alcohol (I usually use 91%) to remove it. Dampen a white cotton cloth or swab, and dab it carefully. Do not scrub it. Replace the swab as often as needed as the ink comes off to avoid spreading it around. You'll probably repeat it a couple of times. Alternatively, you can use hairspray with the same method though I'd recommend a test spot first since you have a red interior. If it's just the indentations from somebody pressing hard, they'll disappear after a while.

As for cleaning the soiled leather in general, use a soft brush (one example) to gently work the cleaner into a lather. Here's a video:
Old 02-09-2018, 12:21 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss33
The saga of the red interior continues...I had the cars PPI done down at an indy shop in Houston (1 1/2hr drive) and when I got home I noticed a few ball point pen markings on my seats that had not been there before. I know I can take it back and have the shop fix it, but any suggestions on how to clean this off myself without damaging the leather? I already tried Leather Masters Soft Cleaner, and it took the darkness out, but still very visible pen markings on my seats. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Leather Master makes several ink removers, if it's been there for more a several days their recommended product will remove the ink BUT it will also remove the color, meaning you will also have to re color the leather.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Hoss33
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts

I was luckily able to get the majority of it up, and with conditioner/protectant it has helped it blend in a bit with the leather. Thanks for the advice, hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here.

Quick Reply: Carrera Red Natural Leather Question