Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a car I'm pondering

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:40 PM
werneral
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on a car I'm pondering

Hi All,

Been looking this Cayman S over and since I'm by no means an expert, I wonder if anybody here has thoughts.

The car strikes me as a low mileage, lightly optioned example, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to interpret the nuances.

I'm looking for an S for the street, with maybe a bit of track use, but it's not to be track oriented by any means.

PSE isn't a concern, but lack of PASM perhaps is?

Asking price has been lowered to $67,981.00. Perhaps a bit rich even for a low miles?

I'm not sure what the Convenience Package adds nor am I sure about the Infotainment Package, other than that the Bose was probably the mid-tier stereo option.

Here are the options per the dealer:

Base - Cayman S
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
427 - 20" Carrera Classic Wheels
446 - Wheel Center Caps With Colored Porsche Crest
583 - Smoking Package
640 - Sport Chrono Package I.c.w. PCM
658 - Power Steering Plus
840 - SportDesign Steering Wheel
AG - Standard Interior In Black
P9A - Convenience Package
P9G - Infotainment Package With BOSE? Surround Sound System
U2 - GT Silver Metallic
XSC - Porsche Crest On Headrests

And here is a link to the ad:

https://www.porschebeaverton.com/inv...tallic+1637395

Any thoughts appreciated, understanding of course that we all have different opinions regarding what is important and what is not.

Thanks in advance,

Al
Old 02-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve heard that PASM is desired with 20” wheels to smooth out the ride. You may want to do some searching on that.

The SportDesign wheel is nice because it gives you actual paddles to shift, rather than the (IMO) stupid thumb buttons.

Not sure if you care, but SportChrono with PDK gives you launch control and additional shift maps.

The prices does seem a bit high, but I would ask when the car was put into service. You should have a decent length of the OEM warranty left, plus the two years from CPO. The warranty definitely has a lot of value.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:59 PM
starvational
Instructor

PSE is the only thing missing for me, but you don't mind so no worries there. I wouldn't be concerned about PASM since it'll be mostly on the street. Otherwise, really nicely optioned build (originally $82k - click link here for build sheet)
Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a nice basic car. You can always add an aftermarket exhaust, so I wouldn't worry about PSE.
Have you driven it?
Can't recall ever seeing Porsche crests on headrests on a standard interior.
god luck!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Here is a list of all 981 Cayman S PDK for sale by a Porsche dealer in the US for reference.

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...list.ipl?cid=1
Old 02-06-2018, 03:21 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

I don't have direct experience but I know some don't like the power steering plus option because it makes the steering too soft. Unless you're parallel parking on the hour, every hour or pulling an Austin Powers in an alley all the time, it's unnecessary.

It can be disabled via a software change by the dealer who may or may not charge you.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:20 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love how all of their used cars have the model number in the price.

https://www.porschebeaverton.com/inventory/used/
Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 PM
werneral
AutoX

Originally Posted by Drew_K
I’ve heard that PASM is desired with 20” wheels to smooth out the ride. You may want to do some searching on that.

The SportDesign wheel is nice because it gives you actual paddles to shift, rather than the (IMO) stupid thumb buttons.

Not sure if you care, but SportChrono with PDK gives you launch control and additional shift maps.

The prices does seem a bit high, but I would ask when the car was put into service. You should have a decent length of the OEM warranty left, plus the two years from CPO. The warranty definitely has a lot of value.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm going to have to drive it and decide for myself re the PASM as I've run across similar thoughts elsewhere at some point.

The Sport Design wheel and SportChrono I've put in the must have list, so good there. Warranty is good until October 2022, which is significant, so keeping that in mind.

Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:03 PM
werneral
AutoX

Originally Posted by starvational
PSE is the only thing missing for me, but you don't mind so no worries there. I wouldn't be concerned about PASM since it'll be mostly on the street. Otherwise, really nicely optioned build (originally $82k - click link here for build sheet)
Thanks, I figure if I don't get enough sound track I can do something about that fairly easily. Interesting your thoughts about PASM. Guess I need to drive it a bit and decide if I think it'd work. Not going to be a daily driver, so probably not super critical.

Thanks again
Old 02-06-2018, 10:07 PM
werneral
AutoX

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I don't have direct experience but I know some don't like the power steering plus option because it makes the steering too soft. Unless you're parallel parking on the hour, every hour or pulling an Austin Powers in an alley all the time, it's unnecessary.

It can be disabled via a software change by the dealer who may or may not charge you.
Great Austin Powers reference! I thought the power steering plus added easier to steer at low speed while retaining regular effort at higher speed, guess I picked that up incorrectly or on a different model or vintage. I'll keep software change option in mind.

Thanks for the great info.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:30 PM
werneral
AutoX

Originally Posted by lajoiedp

See it on BaT with some frequency, but hadn't picked up on that at this dealer. Great little insider nod!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I’ve got a 2013 BS PDK.

I dont bave sports chrono, but find that I can launch it pretty well using the electronic hand break.

I dont have PSE, but feel that this car is loud enough. Downshifting in traffic gets people’s attention and just putting around a parking lot is enough to draw looks. I still get the burbles and pops, just muted.

The one complaint I have is that the 2013 PCM isn’t compatible with some of the better backup cameras on the market. This car needs a backup camera :-)

I would insist on the sports design wheel as it allows for shift to neutral via paddles. Seat ventilation is also nice. The seat warmers work very nicely and really help my sore back!

The suspension is very tight and the bumps are harsh. I don’t have PASM, but imagine it helps somewhat.

BOSE is nice when the top is up, or on a Cayman, but worthless with the top down. Top down driving isn’t for music anyways:-)

All of the aesthetics options go away when you are ripping around in the car, so wouldn’t worry about them.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:43 AM
werneral
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
I’ve got a 2013 BS PDK.

I dont bave sports chrono, but find that I can launch it pretty well using the electronic hand break.

I dont have PSE, but feel that this car is loud enough. Downshifting in traffic gets people’s attention and just putting around a parking lot is enough to draw looks. I still get the burbles and pops, just muted.

The one complaint I have is that the 2013 PCM isn’t compatible with some of the better backup cameras on the market. This car needs a backup camera :-)

I would insist on the sports design wheel as it allows for shift to neutral via paddles. Seat ventilation is also nice. The seat warmers work very nicely and really help my sore back!

The suspension is very tight and the bumps are harsh. I don’t have PASM, but imagine it helps somewhat.

BOSE is nice when the top is up, or on a Cayman, but worthless with the top down. Top down driving isn’t for music anyways:-)

All of the aesthetics options go away when you are ripping around in the car, so wouldn’t worry about them.

Appreciate your thoughts. Hadn't even considered the back up camera. All of our cars have had them for ten plus years, but will get in a rental car every so often that isn't equipped and realize how nice they are to have. Not a deal breaker, but we'll see what happens.

Suspect your last sentence pretty well sums things up!
Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 PM
isthar
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lajoiedp

That is so cool! They should all do that.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:06 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drew_K

Pretty much the perfect reply.

The price does not seem great to me, in fact -- quite high. You need to search a thousand times before you really know the market.

Also - no PTV? Was it standard on later 981s? For me that would be a deal breaker.

Good luck, the 981 Cayman is King.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a car I'm pondering