Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster for HER...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:47 PM
Automobilist
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
What I wouldn't give for that amount of available garage.
Actually, it's easier than you think. Like owning Porsche's, boats, race cars & other fun stuff, all it really takes is commitment and cash...
That garage was a six car we built with our house in Encinitas, CA. Pretty easy to add garage space with a new custom home. It was about 1360 square feet, attached to a 4,000 s.f house. I also planned a pretty discrete spot for our motorhome & car trailers.

Our next house, in Sonoma county, we bought not built. It only had a measly 2 1/2 car garage, so I had a 52 X 24 garage/shop built. That one had my first lift. What a great tool! It soon became known as the "Men's Therapy Center". Guys from our little enclave would show up frequently. Sometimes to work on their car, truck, motorcycle, scooter or tractor. Other times simply for the guy-time. I suspect the kegerators and classic pinball machines helped keep attendance up...

Our current house is here in the Great NorthWet... It came with a two car garage, and a really nice barn, on five acres. My sweet and loving wife declared the barn to be hers. OK, that's cool, she has sheep & chickens for pets. She did allow me to convert the upstairs (hay loft) to a man loft. So, the various pinballs, kegerators, and poker table went up there. I found a sweet Filipino Tuk-Tuk bar for it too. Then the cat scratched the leather sofa & recliners in our RV, so we put those up in the man loft as well. Pretty, pretty nice now...
But still, no decent shop space. She quickly got tired of me pulling cars into the barn to work on, as it might upset the animals... So, we're under construction of a new shop: 36 X 60. This one will have two lifts: 2-post & 4-post. Plumbed compressed air, a bathroom and lounge area. In all, it will cost about what a new 911 GT3 would run.

So, moral of this story: You can have all the garage / shop space you want! You simply have to commit to it, and make it a priority. We'll still have a couple car trailers to house what won't fit in the shop, so it can ALWAYS be bigger...
Old 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Automobilist

I'm thinking of finding a 2006-2008 and just doing the IMS myself. Got to look into that idea. For the same money, I can get a nice 2007 or so, and another MGB.
Just about done restoring a '73 450SL (first year, one year only model) Need to do a fair amount of refresh on our MG TD, and my Spitfire race car. Lot's to do!!!
That sounds great! I'd love to see a Spitfire race car in action, they were so cool looking back in the day, always on my bucket list, along with an MG GT.

A neighbor of mine just picked up a TR6 for an obscenely low amount of money, that's another Lucas Prince of darkness goodie that holds a lot of appeal...
Old 02-05-2018, 07:54 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,324 Likes on 792 Posts
Talking

Actually, it's easier than you think. Like owning Porsche's, boats, race cars & other fun stuff, all it really takes is commitment and cash...
That garage was a six car we built with our house in Encinitas, CA. Pretty easy to add garage space with a new custom home. It was about 1360 square feet, attached to a 4,000 s.f house. I also planned a pretty discrete spot for our motorhome & car trailers.

Our next house, in Sonoma county, we bought not built. It only had a measly 2 1/2 car garage, so I had a 52 X 24 garage/shop built. That one had my first lift. What a great tool! It soon became known as the "Men's Therapy Center". Guys from our little enclave would show up frequently. Sometimes to work on their car, truck, motorcycle, scooter or tractor. Other times simply for the guy-time. I suspect the kegerators and classic pinball machines helped keep attendance up...

Our current house is here in the Great NorthWet... It came with a two car garage, and a really nice barn, on five acres. My sweet and loving wife declared the barn to be hers. OK, that's cool, she has sheep & chickens for pets. She did allow me to convert the upstairs (hay loft) to a man loft. So, the various pinballs, kegerators, and poker table went up there. I found a sweet Filipino Tuk-Tuk bar for it too. Then the cat scratched the leather sofa & recliners in our RV, so we put those up in the man loft as well. Pretty, pretty nice now...
But still, no decent shop space. She quickly got tired of me pulling cars into the barn to work on, as it might upset the animals... So, we're under construction of a new shop: 36 X 60. This one will have two lifts: 2-post & 4-post. Plumbed compressed air, a bathroom and lounge area. In all, it will cost about what a new 911 GT3 would run.

So, moral of this story: You can have all the garage / shop space you want! You simply have to commit to it, and make it a priority. We'll still have a couple car trailers to house what won't fit in the shop, so it can ALWAYS be bigger...
Lol. Yeah. I've looked all over my 6000sf lot here in inexpensive Huntington Beach, CA and couldn't find anywhere to put an 1800sf barn. My neighbor could probably be persuaded to give me his 6000sf lot in exchange for a million dollars so I guess things aren't hopeless. :-)
Old 02-05-2018, 08:03 PM
Automobilist
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Lol. Yeah. I've looked all over my 6000sf lot here in inexpensive Huntington Beach, CA and couldn't find anywhere to put an 1800sf barn. My neighbor could probably be persuaded to give me his 6000sf lot in exchange for a million dollars so I guess things aren't hopeless. :-)
Yeah, I totally get it... That's one reason we moved from "a block from the beach" Encinitas, three miles inland to the "homes on acreage" area. In your case, there are plenty of big enough lots right down the road in Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills, etc.
For us, we finally had enough of SoCal. Moved to Sonoma county for a couple years, then broke free and came up north...
Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I totally get it... That's one reason we moved from "a block from the beach" Encinitas, three miles inland to the "homes on acreage" area. In your case, there are plenty of big enough lots right down the road in Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills, etc.
For us, we finally had enough of SoCal. Moved to Sonoma county for a couple years, then broke free and came up north...
Almost there, buddy. Almost there. The pace around here heats up as we slow down. Congrats to you on the awesome spread. Someday.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Automobilist
Advanced

Originally Posted by andy7777
That sounds great! I'd love to see a Spitfire race car in action, they were so cool looking back in the day, always on my bucket list, along with an MG GT.

A neighbor of mine just picked up a TR6 for an obscenely low amount of money, that's another Lucas Prince of darkness goodie that holds a lot of appeal...
The Spitfire is an absolute blast to drive. I previously raced a Triumph GT6, and a spec sports racer. My wife races her Formula V, which is great, highly competitive racing. She got her first win at California Speedway. I got my first at Willow Springs.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

The Spitfire is an absolute blast to drive. I previously raced a Triumph GT6, and a spec sports racer. My wife races her Formula V, which is great, highly competitive racing. She got her first win at California Speedway. I got my first at Willow Springs.
My wife hates cars.

Quick Reply: Boxster for HER...