Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What lowering option did you go with?

Old 02-01-2018, 01:50 PM
tickter
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What lowering option did you go with?

Im looking into lowering my 987.2 cayman a small bit. The wheel gap is just... well its quite extreme. I've heard mixed reviews of a variety of products. I was thinking about simply installing Cayman R springs, but while I've read that some people were happy, another said the setup was bouncy, which I definitely don't want.

What set up do you run?
How much was it?
Do you enjoy it?
Old 02-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Lowering

For your stated primary goal, I opted for ST coilover set up (essentially KW I with galvanized vs. stainless strut). Happy all around...
Old 02-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

How many miles/ years on your shocks? For the cost of the installation you will probably be wise to do the shocks and springs at the same time.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:49 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

The Cayman R springs and shocks are perfect. Put them on a 40K mile 2007 Boxster and tracked it numerous times last summer. Not bouncy on Michigan's crap roads going to and from the track or just driving around. They cost what they cost, $2300? You need to align the wheels after install, I went with Cayman R specs which seem like a decent compromise between street and track without wearing out the tires like a full track alignment.

Let me put it this way. I had a Cayman GTS with PASM until yesterday, and the R suspension was no harsher than a sport setting on PASM, and in some ways better controlled.

Unless you go for truly tested, well made coilovers that had some thought put behind them (think Ohlins and maybe one or two others) everything aftermarket is going to be worse than what you're replacing. Unless all you care about is looks, which isn't a bad thing in some circumstances, just getting some shorter spring product brings about so many compromises it's a fool's errand. IMO.
The following users liked this post:
MXA121 (10-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 PM
tickter
Track Day

I really don't like ST coilovers' center lock nut design, I've seen them come lose and gradually go all the way down. Otherwise they would be great.

As far as the Cayman R setup goes, I would really like that setup, but $2300 for shocks and springs is a bit wild. The setup actually used to be cheaper and then Porsche raised the price on the parts or something.

Thank you all for the replies, loving the insights.

I do wonder if they cayman R shocks are different, and if so what those differences are
Old 02-01-2018, 08:15 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by tickter
I was thinking about simply installing Cayman R springs, but while I've read that some people were happy, another said the setup was bouncy, which I definitely don't want.
Got to love the misinformation super highway. I can't imagine anyone thinking a Cayman R is bouncy. Certainly not from an owner (like me, formerly) or someone who can tell the difference. X73 is the best suspension you can put on your car. It's engineered to work in perfect harmony. I'm on my 3rd Porsche with X73 and I'm spoiled rotten.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:17 PM
tickter
Track Day

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Got to love the misinformation super highway. I can't imagine anyone thinking a Cayman R is bouncy. Certainly not from an owner (like me, formerly) or someone who can tell the difference. X73 is the best suspension you can put on your car. It's engineered to work in perfect harmony. I'm on my 3rd Porsche with X73 and I'm spoiled rotten.
Sorry, not what I meant. Somebody put JUST the springs on the regular shocks and said it was bouncy.

Excuse my ignorance, what is the X73 package?
Old 02-01-2018, 08:20 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

As far as the Cayman R setup goes, I would really like that setup, but $2300 for shocks and springs is a bit wild.
It's shocks, springs and sway bars. Go drive a Cayman R, '11/'12 Spyder, or a 987/981 X73 equipped car and you'll be blown away. It's worth every penny. Very taut but also quite compliant and never crashes over any bump. There's a reason why Porsche made it the most expensive sport suspension option for a 987/981. It's tuned.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:22 PM
tickter
Track Day

Ahh, I guess thats the Cayman R suspension retrofit. I actually quite like my stock suspension, its just that the wheel gap is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge ( i can easily fit my fist between the fender and tire)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:23 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Sorry, not what I meant. Somebody put JUST the springs on the regular shocks and said it was bouncy.

Excuse my ignorance, what is the X73 package?
X73 is the sport suspension option number for the Cayman R, '11/'12 Spyder, and 981 Spyder. Those cars came equipped with X73 as standard and is the only suspension option for those cars. Porsche would not have equipped those cars with anything substandard. Those are the best of the non-GT Boxsters/Caymans.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:25 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Ahh, I guess thats the Cayman R suspension retrofit. I actually quite like my stock suspension, its just that the wheel gap is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge ( i can easily fit my fist between the fender and tire)
Well I'm more of a function over form person. But it also happens the 20mm lowered X73 setup looks perfect too.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If you’re patient you should be able to find the Cayman R or Spyder Spring/Shocks used, you just need to be diligent and watch for them on Rennlist. I’ve seen two sets come up for sale in the past 6 months.

The shocks are definitely different on the Spyder/R and designed to match up with the springs.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

You’re welcome https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...-assembly.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What lowering option did you go with?