Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aspheric Driver's Mirror - Update...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 787 Posts
Default Aspheric Driver's Mirror - Update...

Don't waste the money. It is as close to worthless as you can get. I haven't given it a road test yet but the field of vision appears to be almost identical to the stock mirror.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:44 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I have them. Yes, they are useless; but, for a different reason, in my experience. The mirrors do have wide-angle section; they do work as intended. However, the mirrors are located deep inside the housings. So, the wide-angle sections show the housings, not the area outside. In other words, the housings block the wide-angle coverage, I had the aspheric mirrors on 986; they worked perfectly, because the mirrors were placed toward the front edge of the housings. So, now I have those ugly small blind-spot mirrors on the aspherics.

Last edited by spyderphile; 01-31-2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2018, 09:02 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting -- I have been dismayed with the blind spot in my 981. Are there any good solutions apart from the fisheye dots on the side mirrors?

Would the 986 mirrors work on the 981?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

986 mirrors wouldn't work as the housing/structure/shape are different. There used to be a company called Multivex. They made custom, aspheric mirrors for various makes/models. I have them on the S2000. Work great. They aren't in business any more. I need to do some digging; someone could 3-D print these mirrors!
Old 01-31-2018, 11:48 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts

If you adjust your side view mirrors properly you won’t have any blind spots. Most people adjust them angled too far in, which is wrong. This is the right way to do it:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

If you do this on the Cayman with stock mirrors there is zero blind spot.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:18 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't agree with that set-up.
Seeing just the edge of my own car does give me perspective and lets me know the mirrors haven't been bumped. I don't have blind spots on my Boxster either.
Of course the standard mirrors on the 718 in Australia and Europe are a combination convex/aspheric.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:53 PM
Krampus
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of these on my Mk7 GTI they work pretty well on it. Mirror housing appears to be almost the same as far as depth for the mirror. I think the big thing here is that only the outer third of the mirror is noticeably different. Almost fisheye even. Once you get use to how it changes the view it is helpful. Is it perfect? Of course not but then again the stock one is not either or else everyone wouldn't be looking for a solution.

Quick Reply: Aspheric Driver's Mirror - Update...