Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder Interior Cover - Coming Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:39 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The front and sides look perfect but the rear definitely looks a bit off.

Yea, definitely looks off in a Mondial-ish sort of way! LOL

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Can they perhaps use the brake light as a mounting point in the back assuming the extend the cloth back further?

Possibly, but even then you would need to somehow secure the cloth that extends back further, right? You wouldn't want it flapping around. And I personally don't like the idea of the wheel well straps on the paint of the car.

If only the 981 had your 987's red clamps in the rear clamshell, all would be solved. They would be the perfect place to secure the rear of the cover.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:37 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Ok, so . . . umm . . . this is the first prototype of the Spyder interior cover proposed by Covercraft. They provided it to Jerry for his use and feedback. Like me, Jerry finds the cover to be awkward in appearance and not of a design aesthetic that does justice to the Spyder's sensuous lines. As suspected, the lack of any possible adherence points on the smooth rear deck lid poses design challenges that make the rear wheel wells the only option for securing the back of the cover.

The current thinking is that if the rear of the cover came back bimini-style over a portion of the rear lid and did not end abruptly behind the roll hoops, it would greatly enhance the appearance and if the cover could maintain to a great extent the profile of the roof when raised, that would be preferred.

On a more positive note, according to Jerry the quality of the material is top notch and the install is a breeze.

To Covercraft's credit, they agreed to entertain design changes so Jerry headed back up to Canoga Park last week (for a third time) to try to get the design sorted out. It's a 90 mile drive one-way from south Orange County to Canoga Park in soul crushing Los Angeles traffic so to say Jerry has gone above and beyond is an understatement. Thanks, Jerry! And hats off to Covercraft for their willingness to start fresh with a clean sheet and go at this project anew.

Will update when the second prototype is complete for those who remain interested in a custom interior cover for the Spyder.
Honestly, if that one by Covercraft just had a longer tail section (with maybe even some large piping sewn into it) it would be perfect. Just pop the rear hatch, slip the back of the cover into the area where the convertible top resides, shut the lid and you're done. You wouldn't even need the rear straps because the cover would be trapped by the spyder lid. What's so hard about that? The fit is fine and contours the car's shape at the windshield and side glass very well.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 04-05-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:41 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

For the rear attachment I would recommend you get the Porsche part that clicks into the rear and sew the fabric to that. (You might need to have that part fabricated however since it's probably not available as a separate part for purchase.

Walt
Old 04-07-2018, 11:34 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
For the rear attachment I would recommend you get the Porsche part that clicks into the rear and sew the fabric to that. (You might need to have that part fabricated however since it's probably not available as a separate part for purchase.

Walt
Good idea there somehow affixing into rear area where the top connects, they must have thought of it though. That part is no doubt not readily available.
Nice project though, hopefully something worthwhile materializes for all the effort that is going into the project. Definitely have some interest in getting one...
Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WaltB

Walt
Get a pair of them while you are at it. cough cough

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/98156790900/
Old 04-12-2018, 01:27 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Get a pair of them while you are at it. cough cough

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/98156790900/
egads....
Old 05-12-2018, 09:49 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Default Update: Version 2.0

Well, here's the second prototype Cover Craft has come up with for the Spyder interior cover:

It appears the main change from Version 1 is an extension of the material to which the rear straps are affixed. Version 2 has essentially grown flaps (sort of) extending over the back clamshell, which can be seen when compared to Version 1, below.

While stylistically Version 2 may be a (slight) step in the right direction, I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger if this ends up being the final design.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:12 AM
RideOn
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, here's the second prototype Cover Craft has come up with for the Spyder interior cover:

It appears the main change from Version 1 is an extension of the material to which the rear straps are affixed. Version 2 has essentially grown flaps (sort of) extending over the back clamshell, which can be seen when compared to Version 1, below.

While stylistically Version 2 may be a (slight) step in the right direction, I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger if this ends up being the final design.
looks pretty good to me. What would it need to have for you to be satisfied with it?
Old 05-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good! I need one. Any way magnets could work? This would eliminate most of the straps? For indoor storage you wouldn’t need to use any fasteners...
Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RideOn
looks pretty good to me. What would it need to have for you to be satisfied with it?
That's a good question. I have a visual in my mind of what it should look like, but I realize the design of the rear clam shell necessitates the use of those straps (or does it??), which may be what I'm struggling with the most. "Inelegant" is the word that keeps popping into my mind: "Having or showing a lack of physical grace, elegance, or refinement."

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Any way magnets could work? This would eliminate most of the straps?

There are no bad ideas at this point!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:49 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

That's a good question. I have a visual in my mind of what it should look like, but I realize the design of the rear clam shell necessitates the use of those straps (or does it??),
I keep mentioning an alternative to the rear straps but it seems my comments go ignored. If you look at the cover I posted pics of, you will see that it slips underneath the forward edge of the clamshell and gets clamped into the rear cargo area when you close it. This keeps the cover taught and difficult to simply walk away with if you had bad intent. Sewing some type of tubing into the rear edge of the cover, when clamped into the rear cargo area, would make it darn near impossible to walk away with and would keep it fastened even in high wind.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

That's looks terrible and an afterthought. Would not risk the paint with those straps for the benefit of the cover. If thats for outdoor use it looks like it would collect water on the chance it rained....

Matt
Old 05-15-2018, 08:50 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
...the chance it rained....

Matt
Rain? What's that?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I keep mentioning an alternative to the rear straps but it seems my comments go ignored.
Didn't mean to ignore. Like I said, no bad ideas at this point. The set up you describe with the rear of the cover having, for lack of a better word, "tabs" that secure the cover when the clamshell is closed over them is the same set up used on the Z3 interior cover pictured above and it works well with that particular short/stubby trunk lid.

For me personally, I don't think it looks great to have the cover end abruptly behind the roll hoops versus extending back buttress-style mimicking perhaps the lines of the 987 Spyder's bimini-type sun shield. Is your cover functional? Sure. Does it do its intended job of protecting the interior? Absolutely. Does it look great? I guess that's my issue (and I know looks are entirely subjective). The Spyder is so damned sexy that it deserves more than just a functional solution IMO -- it should look great as well.

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
That's looks terrible and an afterthought.
Well, I'm on record as not being a fan, but I don't want to offend the good folks at Cover Craft. When approached, they were totally receptive to the idea of creating a custom interior cover which, given the Spyder's limited production, would generate limited demand (and thus limited profits). They could have run the idea by their bean counters, laughed, and said, "Are you kidding?" Then they put in the time and effort to design not one, but two prototypes, when asked to go back to the drawing board. Gotta give them huge props for that.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:10 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Didn't mean to ignore. Like I said, no bad ideas at this point. The set up you describe with the rear of the cover having, for lack of a better word, "tabs" that secure the cover when the clamshell is closed over them is the same set up used on the Z3 interior cover pictured above and it works well with that particular short/stubby trunk lid.

For me personally, I don't think it looks great to have the cover end abruptly behind the roll hoops versus extending back buttress-style mimicking perhaps the lines of the 987 Spyder's bimini-type sun shield. Is your cover functional? Sure. Does it do its intended job of protecting the interior? Absolutely. Does it look great? I guess that's my issue (and I know looks are entirely subjective). The Spyder is so damned sexy that it deserves more than just a functional solution IMO -- it should look great as well.

Well, I'm on record as not being a fan, but I don't want to offend the good folks at Cover Craft. When approached, they were totally receptive to the idea of creating a custom interior cover which, given the Spyder's limited production, would generate limited demand (and thus limited profits). They could have run the idea by their bean counters, laughed, and said, "Are you kidding?" Then they put in the time and effort to design not one, but two prototypes, when asked to go back to the drawing board. Gotta give them huge props for that.
As you alluded to, looks are subjective. But I'm looking for something that 1) does the job (my car is in so Cal and NEVER goes out unless the sun is blasting and there's no chance of rain) and 2) looks decent. I am not looking for the opposite, as in 1) something that looks like an extension of the Spyder's awesome looks and 2) performs pretty well. Your Cover Craft prototype is something I would buy if it lost the rear straps and instead tucked under the shell. Tucking under the shell would admittedly take away from the desire to look similar to how the factory top extends backward, but I'd take that if it meant I could lose the straps which look really bad IMHO.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Interior Cover - Coming Soon!