Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718CS vs 981BS track impressions / times

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:38 AM
Als991?
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 718CS vs 981BS track impressions / times

Sorry - another 718 vs 981 thread, I know. This one is based on yesterday’s track day at Chuckwalla in my 718CS. I did several days at this track in my 981BS last year so there is plenty of subjective seat time; and more usefully, plenty of transponder and Harry’s data to compare.

The abstract: 2.5 seconds quicker per 2-ish minute lap.

Commentary: That is a bigger gap than I expected, and it was quicker right out of the box, in the first session. Very accessible - no “turbo” character at all to deal with in the long sweeper turn complexes

The caveats: the best times in the 981 were on Michelin’s, the 718 was on the (terrible) OE Yokohamas. The 718 is also equipped with PASM-Sport, PDK, PTV and SC - the BS was a standard suspension, wartless manual.

Observations: 3-5 mph faster at the end of the 2 longer straights, but also 3 mph faster on the shorter ones - this seems more likely due to the torque curve and PTV than the relatively small overall HP difference. PDK in Auto/sport-plus is just telepathic. The brakes are superb, though I never had occasion to complain about the available braking power of the 981. The quicker steering is a plus, but still relatively numb. No issues throttle steering in either fast sweepers or the two slower speed complexes because of turbo lag - it just makes power. PTV helps here too, I suspect. Similar to the 981, brakes rotor temps front-to-rear are about equal if TC is fully engaged, and slightly biased to the front if traction control is off. PSM-Sport is a hoot, will allow some rotation (not Chris Harris-style drifting, mind you), and will collect your tank slipper when you get it wrong on greasy tires (thank you Porsche engineers). I felt compelled to truly cool down the car on the cool-down lap and also let it idle for a minute or two while gathering my thoughts and taking off helmet, gloves, etc.

Non-track related revelations: those absurdly expensive upgraded headlights with the auto-high-beam (PDLS+) are ridiculously good on mountain roads in the dead of night. Adaptive sport plus seats are better than 14-ways, but I’d swap to buckets/harnesses if I didn’t enjoy seat cooling during a session and seat heating on the drive home so damn much. I wish “Individual”
mode on the manetino also controlled the stability control setting.

The Sound: because that’s all people want to talk about. On the street, the 981 sounds oodles better. On the track, who knows - it’s mostly wind noise and general engine roar muffled under a helmet. I take care of that on the track by chasing down GT3s and listening to their glorious exhaust note. On the street, the 718 sounds like a chorus of Mongolian throat singers backed by a didgeridoo. PSE makes it louder, not better - but maybe adds the double bass drum of a speed metal drummer when deployed in anger (when it sounds far better than just tooling about in traffic).

The $93.5k question: is the car worth that MSRP? That depends on your priorities, perspective and alternatives. Mine was a CPO with 900 miles (likely a very hard 900 miles as it was a PCNA car). At $90k for a dual purpose daily/track car, I likely would have looked further back in the Porsche catalog in the shallower part of the depreciation curve. But I’m happy with my purchase. I think the Boxster will be the better selling of the twins, ‘cause the ‘vert market is different. And I don’t care; I think we will see plenty of these 718S Caymans at/on the track in the next couple of years.

Reminder: the OE Yokohama Advans are terrible on the track. And, like the 981, you’ll need to max out the front camber, preferably before you destroy a 2,000 mile old Advan.

Those are my tired thoughts and observations for now. Let me know if you have any particular questions and I may answer.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:15 AM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Als991?
wartless
​​​​​​This made me chuckle.

Informative and entertaining post -- you write very nicely!
Old 01-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Als991?
Advanced

Two additional things occurred to me:
Chronograph lap timing: never got that to work - not sure how I’m supposed to set a reference lap whilst sawing away at the steering wheel or keeping eyes up for T1 braking zone. And since Harry’s lap timer works so well, I was not inclined to bother.

Public reception: there is something about a Guards Red Cayman that seems to bring out thumbs up and “nice car” comments at the gas station - much more so than my dark blue Boxster ever did. I didn’t expect that either.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (08-07-2022)
Old 01-29-2018, 12:17 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for sharing. For what it's worth, the difference in times could be nearly all spec, mainly stick versus PDK (especially given the PASM and PTV advantages). The new car is more powerful, though, so you would expect some advantage even with the same trans. Any video?
Old 01-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Als991?
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
For what it's worth, the difference in times could be nearly all spec, mainly stick versus PDK (especially given the PASM and PTV advantages).
I’m inclined to agree with you on this - that’s what I meant to suggest by my “caveat” paragraph: there were multiple upgrades. The entire time difference is _definitely_ not due to the engine alone.

I do have video. I want to compare corner exit speeds between my 981 and my 718 with the resulting max straightaway speeds. That might help isolate the engine and PDK benefit from the PASM and PTV.

Subjectively, I came in from the first session very impressed with the package, and that feeling was reinforced throughout the day. The Cayman has lost none of its “driver’s car” acumen: get it right and it rewards, get it wrong and it let’s you know without pushing into oblivion or punitively spinning you off track. The chassis is still brilliant, and still needs camber and appropriate rubber.

More to come, possibly including video.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:55 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I enjoyed reading your observations IMO very well thought out and informative. Looking forward to your follow up.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:08 AM
Als991?
Advanced

Second track day with the 718CS - this time Streets of Willow

i expected the 718S to have a bit more advantage over the 981S here, as it is a tighter track requiring a bit more corner exit power (though only one straight where higher HP cars can exert themselves). But like my experience at Chuckwalla, I was surprised by the delta between the two: 6 secs (~1:26 v ~1:32). I‘ll give PTV/PASM 2 of those seconds, and new tires 2. The torque just digs the 7 out of corners where the 9 needs time to get back on the boil. The 7 also allows a very aggressive trail brake rotate and throttle punch in the slower corners to exit, which is a fun - but not effective - technique in the 9. (I’ll give due credit to PTV for this aspect.)

I had an amusing number of drivers come up
and ask if that was “just” a 718S. “Yep.” Ha!

If it turns out that these 2.5T motors are reliable at high Gs/RPMs, this platform will be a hot ticket.

The 981 goes up for sale again in a few weeks...
Old 02-25-2018, 12:40 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the data point. What tires was the 981 on and the 718?
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. I am amused by the 718 vs. 981 debate that seems to rage on (and on, and on) here and elsewhere on the internet. Porsche did NOT make a slower car as a successor to the 981. It's obvious (or should be) to everyone that the 718 is faster on the street and track. You've proven it with your own seat time, professionals have proven it and the sheer numbers from the "magazines" prove it. But you've summed up the real debate quite nicely... the 718 is not a cheap car, and certainly not as cheap as the majority of non-GT4 981s are currently going for sale. I would suspect that relatively few people are seriously cross-shopping these cars because right now the prices are not really comparable for the same trim level and options. Though I haven't driven one, I'm certain the 718 is a great car. It looks great too.

And all of this is coming from a 981 owner who previously owned 2 different Honda S2000s and is a believer in the fact that 4 cylinder true sports cars (and not hot hatches) can be tons of fun. It's just that for the price of the 718s optioned the way I like, I'm probably looking at a used 997.2 911 GTS instead.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:24 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Next you’ll need to reverse Porsche’s snip job they did to the 981 by applying a Cobb ecu tune, plus PDK. :-)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:14 PM
Als991?
Advanced

Thanks for the data point. What tires was the 981 on and the 718?
Good question - I should have commented on that. The 981 was on newish Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The 718 was on new Bridgestone RE71Rs. After driving another 3 sessions today, and watching some of the 981 videos from last year overnight, I’m inclined to give the tires about 60% of the credit for the time difference. PTV/PASM get 25%. Grunt gets 15%. Totally non-scientific, calibrated by my butt-o-meter and one G&T.

More data: There were ~10 mph differences at the end of the two straights, but 5-ish mph higher exits speeds leading onto those straightaways with the 718. My lines were definitely better in the 718 - mostly due to tires.

Twas a blast. (And yes, even on crappy Harry’s videos captured on my iPhone, the 981 sounds oodles better.)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I think the new vs old model debate is a bit more intense on this forum primarily because Rennlist has decided the Boxster and Cayman aren’t worthy of their own forums for each new model. So of course you get the owners of the older models arguing why their model is better and of course the newer model will always be quicker so you end up with lots of back and forth.

I think we can all agree that new and old are both amazing sports cars and it’s hard to go wrong with either.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:36 PM
Als991?
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I think we can all agree that new and old are both amazing sports cars and it’s hard to go wrong with either.
I endorse this sentiment.

My vote: own a 981 Boxster for weekend canyon carving and trips to get coffee via the long way. Own a 718 Cayman for “serious” track/dual-use applications. (There may be some confirmation bias or cognitive dissonance in those recommendations.)
Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Als991?

Good question - I should have commented on that. The 981 was on newish Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The 718 was on new Bridgestone RE71Rs. After driving another 3 sessions today, and watching some of the 981 videos from last year overnight, I’m inclined to give the tires about 60% of the credit for the time difference. PTV/PASM get 25%. Grunt gets 15%.
One big option missing, though: how much would be attributed to PDK? It depends on track, but tracks that require a lot of shifting could see a second or a few seconds depending on how good the MT driver is and so on. It's always hard to compare cars with different options and mods. I tried to do that on my old 987.1 going to a E92 M3 and still have no idea since the M3 had KW Clubsports, Stoptech, etc., and the Cayman was bone stock except pads and fluid. The M3 was a few seconds ahead.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:54 AM
Als991?
Advanced

One big option missing, though: how much would be attributed to PDK?
Not missing: I mentioned it in the context of the first track, a longer track with high and medium speed sections with many more gear changes. On this track, not so relevant. There are 3, perhaps 4, up****ts where I could have gained time over a manual. Certainly it was nice not thinking about it in the sessions where I left it in auto - but with a tight track where almost all of the time is gained/lost in the corners, not so great of an impact. Far less than a second per lap. The other upgrades (and tires mostly) get the credit here.

Quick Reply: 718CS vs 981BS track impressions / times