Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tasteful, stepwise approach to modifying a base 981 Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 12:01 AM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tasteful, stepwise approach to modifying a base 981 Cayman?

Hi all, recently purchased my first Porsche and now thinking about ways to personalize and augment this car that will bring me enjoyment but also increase (or at the very least, not decrease) its value should I decide to sell in the next few years.

My questions for the forum are largely subjective; mostly 1) what are "the best" modifications for this car, primarily with respect to power > handling > appearance, 2) are there modifications that will decidedly increase or decrease the value of the car if I sell it down the road, and 3) in what order would you make the modifications?

I'm quite interested in the PSE (okay, not really for any of the above three parameters, but because I love that sound!), which I could have installed at my local Porsche dealer (button and all, so it would be almost like a factory option), and wonder if others think this makes sense or if I should target a third party exhaust that I could potentially remove in case a future prospective buyer prefers a true stock/factory car.

Also interested in what people think about aftermarket wheels. My view is that these could simultaneously enhance the performance of the car (currently have the stock 18s) and also allow me to store the OEM wheels to have them pristine, again, in case of a future sale.

I actually don't currently intend to sell the car -- I'd love to drive it for the next 10+ years -- but plans change and if the NA mid-engine Porsches are truly an endangered species this car may have collectible value down the road.

My only critical observation of the base 981 so far is the power; not necessarily the low-end torque, but the limited thrust even when in the motor's sweet spot. Many have commented on this in other threads, and I certainly observed it at test drive. It doesn't bother me much, but is a noticeably different driving experience from e.g. my 518 hp Tesla. Accelerating from a highway onramp, or passing on the highway, just isn't quite the same.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 AM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

PS, here's my starting point:

220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
425 Rear Wiper
475 Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
541 Seat ventilation
603 Bi-Xenon
981120 Cayman

AG Standard Sport Seats in Black
N4 Dark Blue Metallic
P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P9B Premium Package
P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE
Old 01-27-2018, 07:49 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Is your intent to ever track the car, or are you just looking to enjoy it on the street? That might make a difference in what path you choose. Thankfully, Porsche offers several nice modifications/options straight from the factory that can be retrofitted to your car. Choosing that path for your modifications will be the best (and likely, only) path that will increase or maintain your car's value. Mods notoriously decrease the value of a car at a quicker rate than normal depreciation, and you will find that used Porsche buyers place an even higher premium on bone stock cars when compared to several other brands. If you modify your car, you will significantly narrow the market for resale.

I too just picked up a base 981 Cayman after having owned several higher HP cars over the past years, including two different 911s. While this Cayman is the least powerful sports car I've owned since my S2000 over 10 years ago, it may be the most fun car I've owned since my S2000 over 10 years ago. I have been there and back again, and have found that horsepower and torque doesn't necessarily make a car more fun to drive.

My path is intended to stick to mostly factory options. I'd like to pick up the X73 suspension package first, then PSE, the GTS tail lights and the Porsche alcantara sport steering wheel. I'm also looking at replacing the factory 19" Cayman S wheels that I have with something... perhaps this is where I'll go aftermarket, but several Porsche designs look good to me too.

Happy modding, and enjoy your car!
Old 01-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It’s very tough to avoid drone with an aftermarket exhaust. I’d stick with the PSE unless you are planning to track. The PSE will sound great. Otherwise, some high quality sport headers, perhaps coupled with a tune will buy you a small power boost. Dubious cost benefit though.

I have a Cobb protune on my base Cayman and a BVD Brombacker “sound” exhaust. It definitely sounds faster, but I wouldn’t go this route on a primarily street driven car.

You could change the suspension to X73 (analog sport suspension) for about $3k. This will lower the car somewhat. Really though, PASM is a great suspension for a street car, and if I was a typical buyer, I’d probably rather have PASM.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the group...😁 We have a "Base" Cayman as well, think it's an absolutely fantastic car! Looks like you do not have Sport Chrono but DO have PTV & PASM (SC cannot be added aftermarket), that's awesome (I wish I did...&#128546 - those are not common options on base. You can absolutely add PSE and it will look and work EXACTLY as it should have if it came from the factory that way. Worth every penny, do it. No drone (I have the 6 spd manual, some have said that helps - I cannot comment and maybe I'm just not as observant/particular as some?). As far as power, I recently went through a similar mission (to improve HP/TQ on a car I wanted to stay with). Decided to dyno the 'before' and 'after'. I didn't care so much about the numbers but about the DELTA. I used same dyno/time of day/tank of gas/temp/humidity/barometric pressure (last three were close but not always EXACT, to be fair). Anyway, as close to scientific as I, a mere mortal, was going to get. I did a total of 9 dyno runs, various combinations - and I tried to give time/miles between changes for the car to 'acclimatize' but not enough that the weather (temp, humidity, baro pressure) would change substantially. It was about the course of three weeks. Again, I'm sure people can find fault with how I came about my results but I only did this for my own edification, not to endorse/defame any particular vendor/solution. So, with that being said, MY best results came with long tube "sport cat headers" (200 cell, I did NOT want to go cat-less), and a stage 1 OTS conservative tune. I'm sure there are some that say I could have done better with a custom tune but I was happy (and comfortable) with what I got: a 'peak' improvement of 7% (max of about 10%) but, more importantly, improvement ACROSS the entire RPM band and a smoother delivery of that power. Your mileage may vary but I posted this only as one person's trip down this road. There were several times during this trial that my 'butt dyno' said one thing but the stats said something else, so I used that to decide what I was going to keep. I definitely advise having a metric for measure outside of the butt dyno...😁 If you have PASM I don't think you should change that but I installed the x73 suspension on a 981 base and think it is fantastic!!! Both how the car sits and how it handles. We (my wife and I) do NOT find it too harsh (and our Cayman came with the factory option of 20 inch rims). On the contrary, I found the base suspension (which i believe is the same suspension as the BASE suspension on the S) too compliant when pushed. A couple of things to think about:
Clearance does change when you drop the car 20mm, but I have NOT had an issue with scraping.
We live in Florida (relatively flat roads with minimal potholes)
Keep an eye on classifieds - I found an x73 suspension that had been taken off a GTS for $450, including shipping. Needed to buy the sway bars ($250 for both from Sunset + shipping) - so less than half, all in, than from Suncoast.
Install was about 7-8 hours, and they will need to do an alignment, obviously

Sooooo...what does this all mean? Enjoy the journey! I believe that everything I have done should add value but maybe a new owner would want the stock headers put back and the tune removed but those options ARE reversible, so I am not worried about it. Anyway, we loved driving it so I have no plans to sell. Good luck with the journey and enjoy!! -Dom

Last edited by Dom991.1; 01-27-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Thanks all! Appreciate these replies. The support for the PSE has emboldened me to take that step (soon...)

In the meantime, this 5-minute install is going to be my first modification; I much prefer the look of the clear lights.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1LEDSIDES.html

Will post before and after, when the after has happened.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:25 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I'd have to agree that it's a huge risk with the resale if you choose to modify the car. The Porsche market is dramatically different from, say, the Subaru market where in some cases mods can actually help sell the car- but even then I wouldn't expect to get any money back from them at all.

The one exception is where I'll also echo the sentiments about the PSE. It's not only a factory available option, it's probably the best exhaust option out there for these cars. Unless of course you want sheer volume; then and only then should you consider aftermarket. My thoughts are the PSE would absolutely ADD value to the car.

Aftermarket wheels would be fine too, especially if you keep the originals around.

As others have said, would probably be best to stick with PASM unless you get obsessed with the track. The PASM is perfectly fine for track use, but not as well suited as the x73. Probably not worth the cost and effort to swap though. You've also got PTV, which is an option that probably won't be fully utilized except at the track. I highly, highly recommend taking it to the track at least occasionally.

About the track though- a mod I would definitely recommend is brake pads, and fluid. Cheap (relatively), easy mod that will allow you to have much more worry-free fun at the track. I actually haven't looked too much into the stock pads on the 981s, but a general rule of thumb is stock steel pads may stop just fine at the track; for a few laps. The ones on my M4 didn't even last beyond the first long straight before they started acting up. MUCH more power, and weight though so maybe they'll be good for a typical DE.

The problem though, is the power. The PSE will likely not yield enough to make a significant difference- so if you must, start looking at headers and a tune, as others have suggested. That will be the most cost effective option, but it will affect resale value. ~10% gain though is noticeable enough... it will also affect your overall enjoyment of the car. But you still won't be breaking any lap records. The only way to unlock truly significant power gains would be through forced induction, or a motor swap. Neither of which is remotely cost effective for a base Cayman (but it's not like no one has ever done it before... I just personally don't really understand why).

The only thing I'll add here... is that by the time all is said and done, you're talking several thousand dollars. Likely enough to have got you into an S; keep going and maybe a GTS. These are some of the same reasons I made DAMN sure I got a GTS, with a list of options that I considered essential; I don't feel that I need or even want to change a single thing on my car. With that thought in mind, another option is to just drive it, enjoy it- and upgrade when you think it's time. Don't sink any money into it you won't get back, and keep it bone stock for the next guy who just wants a pure driving experience.

Or maybe realize YOU are that guy who just wants a pure driving experience. (Wheels and exhaust won't hurt- and neither will clear side markers.)
Old 02-07-2018, 02:46 PM
isthar
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm finding it hard to keep my base 981 boxster alone too I will autocross, not track it ... and let me tell you every day my daily driver wooshes me along (m235 w/ an ecu piggyback = 4.0 0-60) and I have to remind myself that obtaining those speeds (in the flat-6s not the new ones) with porsche is $$$$$ and to enjoy the value of the car (and I traded a Miata in, the ultimate value for fun!). slow car fast, watch the bug of wanting to smoke people off the line... enjoy the curves and sound.

I would go PSE myself, but trying to constrain myself after the tune

<3 to the base models!
Old 02-07-2018, 02:55 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Cherry
Hi all, recently purchased my first Porsche and now thinking about ways to personalize and augment this car that will bring me enjoyment but also increase (or at the very least, not decrease) its value should I decide to sell in the next few years.

My questions for the forum are largely subjective; mostly 1) what are "the best" modifications for this car, primarily with respect to power > handling > appearance, 2) are there modifications that will decidedly increase or decrease the value of the car if I sell it down the road, and 3) in what order would you make the modifications?

I'm quite interested in the PSE (okay, not really for any of the above three parameters, but because I love that sound!), which I could have installed at my local Porsche dealer (button and all, so it would be almost like a factory option), and wonder if others think this makes sense or if I should target a third party exhaust that I could potentially remove in case a future prospective buyer prefers a true stock/factory car.

Also interested in what people think about aftermarket wheels. My view is that these could simultaneously enhance the performance of the car (currently have the stock 18s) and also allow me to store the OEM wheels to have them pristine, again, in case of a future sale.

I actually don't currently intend to sell the car -- I'd love to drive it for the next 10+ years -- but plans change and if the NA mid-engine Porsches are truly an endangered species this car may have collectible value down the road.

My only critical observation of the base 981 so far is the power; not necessarily the low-end torque, but the limited thrust even when in the motor's sweet spot. Many have commented on this in other threads, and I certainly observed it at test drive. It doesn't bother me much, but is a noticeably different driving experience from e.g. my 518 hp Tesla. Accelerating from a highway onramp, or passing on the highway, just isn't quite the same.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
The best aesthetic bang for my buck were the $400 tinted tail lights. I have the GT4 chin spoiler ready to go and the rear view camera on the "probably" list. Tinted the side markers with vinyl and that's about it. Car is pretty much how I like it with the exception of what I think are cheesy inner door handles (pull straps). I much prefer the aluminum ones from the non-Spyder 981's but it appears the only way to make that change is to also change the door panels. No thanks.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:16 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

+1 for the OEM GTS tinted tail lights. I think they look so much better than the stock all-red lights. To my car, I will do the wheels (already purchased a set of OEM Turbo wheels in Boxster/Cayman fitment), PSE and perhaps leather dashboard, and that will be it.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:25 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Since you mentioned power increase, I'd recommend a TPC ECU upgrade. The price is $1795 and the two 981 owners that I know who did this were very happy with the results.

Quick Reply: Tasteful, stepwise approach to modifying a base 981 Cayman?