Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 626 Posts

I agree. Porsche used to be the leader. They (and everyone else) followed Nissan on the rev matching. However, Nissan still allows it to be deactivated by a stand-alone button. How that is too much for Porsche, boggles the mind. And now the 992 copied the door handles from Tesla.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Porsche seems to be heavily focused on the Chinese market to the point that many of the design cues, options and overall driving experience revolve around that market. I'm still convinced the 718 is a direct result of catering to the Asian and European markets. But when you look at the bigger picture the only real benefit of the 718 over the 981 is the smaller liter output which pushes the car into a lower emissions and tax bracket in other country. There's no mpg, power or weight benefit. Hopefully this next Spyder is geared more towards the enthusiast. If it is done by the GT department then it likely will be a more focused car and maybe lighter?
Old 03-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Rev matching can be defeated by depressing the PSM button in sport or sport + mode - turning off. The 981 only had rev matching in sport + unlike 718 and 991.2 which has it in sport and sport + (w/SC).
Thanks for clarifying.

Although for clarity, PSM is actually never totally turned off BTW - it is always operating in the background and will reengage if ABS is actuated.
This I wasn't aware of.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:32 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

My thoughts are that the next gen Cayman/Boxster will be electric and should be in '24. The GT4 will likely be a 21 -23 car and and the spyder will only be a 23.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:10 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I agree. Porsche used to be the leader. They (and everyone else) followed Nissan on the rev matching. However, Nissan still allows it to be deactivated by a stand-alone button. How that is too much for Porsche, boggles the mind. And now the 992 copied the door handles from Tesla.
What kills me is that no one ever asks them why they do things like this.

No. One. Ever. Asks.

No journalists who interview Preuninger or Walliser or any other big wheels in engineering at Porsche ever ask them anything like, "Why don't you leave important controls like enabling and disabling rev-matching up to the driver? And why in the world would you tie the functionality to an important safety feature that it has absolutely no logical connection with?"

That boggles my mind.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 PM
pleasereset
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
There's no mpg, power or weight benefit. Hopefully this next Spyder is geared more towards the enthusiast.
Seems like you are forgetting about the torque, where the 718S kills it in AutoX and effortlessly turns track times awfully close to a GT4 (https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/circu...gny-cours-club).

Old 03-09-2019, 02:57 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
........... I would guess that the reviewer in the article on the T simply wasn't aware of this somewhat obscure "work around" to avoid rev matching, which isn't widely known. Just a guess. It would seem strange for Porsche to make deactivation possible on some 718's and not on others IMO.

Like you, I want Porsche to back off and not force rev matching down our throats. I'm not in the market for the new Spyder like you, but if I was it would be a tough pill to swallow if there was no way to deactivate.
Nick, here is the quote from the review:
"......The manual comes with a rev-matching function, but unfortunately, it can't be switched off — a shame, because for me, it distracted from what a slick, joyful thing the manual is. ...."

Here is an excerpt of SportChrono Package from the Configurator, for the base build:
  • Rev-match function – in conjunction with Manual Transmission, the SportChrono package provides a rev-match function in both SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, matching engine RPM to transmission speed for smooth downshifts
So, the T probably doesn't have Normal mode; or, the rev-match is enforced even in Normal. Non-T models have the rev-match in Sport as well, as opposed to only in Sport Plus in Spyder. So, the 982 drivers are hosed to begin with; it can't be disabled with SportChrono. However, one could choose not to get SportChrono; but, you would also lose other benefits of the package! The Spyder will have SportChrono baked in. If it isn't exempt from this dumb decision, then we've a problem. Well, I've a problem!

............... I wouldn't take the car out of PSM though. It's there for a good reason - to protect drivers who think they are better drivers than they are.
Agree. I've driven pretty extensively with PSM off. However, if there is an incident, the insurance company could pull the data from the black box. If they find that the PSM was turned off at the time of the incident, I could be held liable, at least partly. So, I would prefer not to mess around much.

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
.......Non-defeatable rev matching would be an absolute deal breaker for me.
Totally agree. I'll never drive a car with that shi*ty feature, if it can't be disabled or stayed away from!

I've called Porsche Customer Relations and made a passionate plea why the next Spyder should leave the rev-match to Sport Plus mode. The rep listened sympathetically and opened a case. I intend to call them periodically to followup until I speak to an exec or get a definitive response. I doubt it though since they can't speak about upcoming model. Let me see how far I can go. I also plan to open a petition. If we collectively make a plea from the forum, could make a difference.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:45 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I’d bet dollars to donuts the reviewer drove in S or S+ exclusively, hence the comment about it not being defeatable.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Let’s all Hope Porsche makes rev match switchable with sport or sport+ button same as 981 Spyder, GT3 etc.

Another reason to do so is for quieter downshifting in town. I remember another driver chastising me for a rev-matched downshift in a quiet neighborhood that wasn’t intentional; I just hadn’t switched Sport+ button off yet before arriving home.

Having said that, I don’t get the hate for the rev match feature. In spirited driving I find it helpful and not a gimmick. Like many, I’m no heel-and-toe expert. Perhaps we can all agree that Porsche should make it selectable without insulting even the notion of such a feature or those who would use it?
Old 03-09-2019, 10:36 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I just don't see the downside to making it a separate button regardless of mode chosen, like the PSE for instance. Why combine choices into "must go together" packages at all? Any feature that someone may prefer to be OFF for whatever reason should be amenable to being individually turned on or off by choice, unless that would hurt the car in some way.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Like many, I’m no heel-and-toe expert. Perhaps we can all agree that Porsche should make it selectable without insulting even the notion of such a feature or those who would use it?
I am a heel toe expert, having many track miles under my belt in a 986S. When driving my Spyder, 99% of the time I let the computer do the rev matching. For one reason, without my driving shoes, getting a good heel toe downshift in the Spyder is much tougher than when driving the 986 with driving shoes.

Still, my vote would be to allow turning off the automatic rev match.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not a heel and toe expert but I never use the Rev matching in 981 Spyder. It just feels so fake when you let the clutch out. It matches both going up and down so you miss out on a load of feel. As I've said before it feels like a clunky PDK.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm trying to reach out to PCNA through the dealer. All I want is just to maintain how it is done in the 981 Spyder. Those who want the rev-match could do so via Sport Plus. Others could stay away from it.This is somewhat similar to MT vs PDK debate. I would never ever drive an auto. But, I don't criticize those who do. Similarly, it doesn't matter to me if someone uses rev-match, for whatever reasons. However, I despise the fact that Porsche shoves that feature down and completely ruining it for those who want an unfiltered experience. Having a choice is a good thing; something for everyone!
Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Slightly OT:. I'm getting so damn impatient waiting for this car (and so aggravated at how few MT choices are out there) I feel like I need to get something else temporary to play with. If I already have a 981 Spyder, will a Backdraft or FFR Cobra feel like junk?
Old 03-15-2019, 04:42 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,604 Likes on 883 Posts

Hmmm... Wonder if this means the same for the Boxster? Last time production shifted... it was only for the Cayman and the Boxster stayed with the 911.
https://europe.autonews.com/automake...an-911-success

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?