Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Juli
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Today I was at the factory in Zuffenhausen.
Before lunch I saw a just produced black GT4 crossing the street to the Exclusive Manufaktur.
The street car has the same bumper and wing as the Clubsport version.
After my visit to the musuem and lunch I had a factory tour, at the beginning of the assembly line I saw a finished 718 Boxster Spyder dashboard.
The dashboad had yellow contrast stitching, lower part was covered in Alcantara and the rev counter stated "Spyder" (redline at 8.000 rpm).
Old 02-07-2019, 03:11 PM
pleasereset
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juli
Today I was at the factory in Zuffenhausen.
Before lunch I saw a just produced black GT4 crossing the street to the Exclusive Manufaktur.
The street car has the same bumper and wing as the Clubsport version.
After my visit to the musuem and lunch I had a factory tour, at the beginning of the assembly line I saw a finished 718 Boxster Spyder dashboard.
The dashboad had yellow contrast stitching, lower part was covered in Alcantara and the rev counter stated "Spyder" (redline at 8.000 rpm).
Redline at 8000, but tach going until 9000 like the NA 6? or 8000 being the highest number on the tach?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Juli
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pleasereset
Redline at 8000, but tach going until 9000 like the NA 6? or 8000 being the highest number on the tach?
Yes, the rev counter is going until 9.000 rpm but the redline is beginning at 8.000 rpm.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Extremely juicy info! I wonder why they're on the production line now though? I've heard they're not out for quite a while yet. Obviously they can't be ordered yet not on configurator so they can't be customer cars. Maybe you happened upon one of the launch cars or maybe it's just another mule.

Does anyone know if they make mules/launch cars on the normal production line?
Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 PM
pleasereset
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gravs
Extremely juicy info! I wonder why they're on the production line now though? I've heard they're not out for quite a while yet. Obviously they can't be ordered yet not on configurator so they can't be customer cars. Maybe you happened upon one of the launch cars or maybe it's just another mule.

Does anyone know if they make mules/launch cars on the normal production line?
The factory needs to exercise the tooling/production chain before launch. Cars produced in early batches while gremlins are being addressed end up being launch cars.

Last edited by pleasereset; 02-07-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-07-2019, 06:21 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
It just makes no sense for Porsche to: ...

- offer a Touring spec to the Spyder that would delete the manual top and double bubble rear deck lid. Half the point of the Boxster Spyder is it’s beautiful unique styling, which is subtle and primarily cosmetic, not primarily a functional concession for track use like wing on a GT3. As a happy owner of both a GT3 Touring and a Boxster Spyder, I cant imagine being attracted to a Spyder Touring at all, and presumably I’d be the target market for it. If I was to want a Spyder without its unique soft top and beautiful styling for more DD use, Boxster GTS.

USP of a “Touring Spyder” would be the convenient top with NA6. As a 981 Spyder owner, a touring version doesn’t interest me at all (needs the classic rear speedster style humps) but there are supposedly punters who value the convenience more and that gives PAG a more immediate answer to the rather limp 718 sales rather than waiting for the next version.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:38 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

They should make those flank stickers mandatory
Old 02-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Wow very cool!!! Was this possibly one of the preproduction show models that will be shown during the release?

I’m going to be at the factory in late March, it would be absolutely awesome to see the new Spyder in production when I’m there.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
They should make those flank stickers mandatory
Agreed, it completely transforms the look of the 981. I’m curious how it would look if it spanned the entire rocker vs the partial.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:50 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

8k redline is a big news! Thanks Juli for the awesome news! Could this mean the engine size to be 3.8? A 4.0 at 8k could be making more than 420 hp? Personally, I would prefer 3.8 since it would be more entertaining. Man, it's gonna be a treat to experience the soundtrack at 8k redline in an open top! It gets even more exciting if you consider 982 would sound better than the 981! Someone who listened to it at idle, in a closed garage, commented so.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:01 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
8k redline is a big news! Thanks Juli for the awesome news! Could this mean the engine size to be 3.8? A 4.0 at 8k could be making more than 420 hp? Personally, I would prefer 3.8 since it would be more entertaining. Man, it's gonna be a treat to experience the soundtrack at 8k redline in an open top! It gets even more exciting if you consider 982 would sound better than the 981! Someone who listened to it at idle, in a closed garage, commented so.
Probably needs the 4.0 at 8000 rpm to hit the 420hp power target with the particulate filters. CS can do it because no filters.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:25 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Good point. Since US cars aren't gonna have particulate filters, some tricky de-tuning could be in store. Could this also mean, gearing would remain high?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:16 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DR1VEN

USP of a “Touring Spyder” would be the convenient top with NA6. As a 981 Spyder owner, a touring version doesn’t interest me at all (needs the classic rear speedster style humps) but there are supposedly punters who value the convenience more and that gives PAG a more immediate answer to the rather limp 718 sales rather than waiting for the next version.
Agree on Speedster humps.

What I just don’t see happening is a model between the Boxster GTS and the Boxster Spyder. If the market has room for a 718 Boxster with NA6 and a convenient top without the Spyder’s styling, then Porsche will make that the new Boxster GTS. I’ll be surprised if they put a version of the Spyder’s NA6 in it though, as doing so would seem to overlap a bit too close for comfort IMO. Which is why I think some version of the 3.0 turbo 6 from the 991.2 base Carrera is mode likely for such a car. That would also make it easier for Porsche to use the same engine in the new Boxster S, as it’s easier to put out different tuned versions of that engine in an S and a GTS by tweaking the turbo motor for different boost specs.

Wonder if/when Porsche will bring back a Cayman R and perhaps offer a companion Boxster R? And if so, what would those be?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

What is the red line on 981 Spyder/GT4? Is it 7,600 or 7,800?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:47 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis

Agree on Speedster humps.

What I just don’t see happening is a model between the Boxster GTS and the Boxster Spyder. If the market has room for a 718 Boxster with NA6 and a convenient top without the Spyder’s styling, then Porsche will make that the new Boxster GTS. I’ll be surprised if they put a version of the Spyder’s NA6 in it though, as doing so would seem to overlap a bit too close for comfort IMO. Which is why I think some version of the 3.0 turbo 6 from the 991.2 base Carrera is mode likely for such a car. That would also make it easier for Porsche to use the same engine in the new Boxster S, as it’s easier to put out different tuned versions of that engine in an S and a GTS by tweaking the turbo motor for different boost specs.

Wonder if/when Porsche will bring back a Cayman R and perhaps offer a companion Boxster R? And if so, what would those be?
I think there are specific packaging limitations surrounding putting the 3.0 twin turbo in the mid engine platform. If you look at the underside of the 718 I seriously don't see how they would package twin turbos and all the intercoolers and piping and what have you. The 2.5T is taking up all of the space already. The 911 doesn't have a trunk and has more room to position all of that.

If I had to guess I think this GT4 4.0 is a new engine, and they probably left themselves the ability to make a smaller displacement version for any cars they want to make under the GT4.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...02da98e1a6.jpg

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?