Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:54 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Looks like the rear fog light is no mas.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:17 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Primary difference is the rear lights and bumper which are a carryover from the 718 and modified to suit the Spyder. Rear fenders may have a slightly larger crease near the trunk too which again is likely a carryover from the 718.
981 looks more integrated - the line of the spoiler carries through the lights, the other lines/curves emanate from the point where the spoiler meets the light, it all looks more proportional particularly below the spoiler.

as you said it’s a 718 rear.

having said that - most who see these cars will just think they look the same.

if it really does end up with just 3.8 + powerkit, I don’t see the need to switch. Btw - all along whoopsy and others had this pegged as a 3.8 punched out to a 4.0 - what was the trigger/source that changed that view?
Old 09-27-2018, 05:43 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

981 rear definitely better. Centre exhausts echos both early models and current GT line up. Doesn't have the ugly 718 red reflectors. Doesn't have the weird 718 Porsche strip. Lights are actually very similar outline but I like the spoiler integration with the lights in 981. It's a really well done ducktail. Also 718 diffuser looks a bit stuck on.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:54 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema

981 looks more integrated - the line of the spoiler carries through the lights, the other lines/curves emanate from the point where the spoiler meets the light, it all looks more proportional particularly below the spoiler.

as you said it’s a 718 rear.

having said that - most who see these cars will just think they look the same.
Originally Posted by Gravs
981 rear definitely better. Centre exhausts echos both early models and current GT line up. Doesn't have the ugly 718 red reflectors. Doesn't have the weird 718 Porsche strip. Lights are actually very similar outline but I like the spoiler integration with the lights in 981. It's a really well done ducktail. Also 718 diffuser looks a bit stuck on.
Totally agree with the above sentiments.... but each to their own.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:01 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Butt comparison:

981 donor butt courtesy of some nice Spyder picks on current BAT auction
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...er-on-bat.html
Geez, the 981 rear looks so much better than the 718’s. The 981 looks so cohesive, while the 718 looks like a hot mess of slapped together plastic bits that don’t flow at all.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Geez, the 981 rear looks so much better than the 718’s. The 981 looks so cohesive, while the 718 looks like a hot mess of slapped together plastic bits that don’t flow at all.
It's true, maybe a bit dramatic, but overall true. The only reason I'm still considering going for a new one is the chance to order exactly what I want. Love my white with classic Spyder interior, but I'm a color guy. Miami Blue.....Red, Carmine......even GT Silver with Spyder interior.....but is it worth the likely $30,000 trade Delta? Looking less and less likely.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

It's that rear diffuser. I assumed from early mule shots that it was cobbled together for preliminary aero testing purposes and the final result would be much cleaner and better integrated into the rear bumper design, but over time as we've seen more and more later stage mules, it hasn't changed and now I'm starting to think this will be the final look. Just not Porsche-like. More like the tacked on stuff I see on high-schooler-owned Civics and Subies.

And most of these mule shots have been of black cars. If that diffuser stands out as it does on these black cars, can you imagine what it will look like on Racing Yellow or any bright color? The proverbial sore thumb comes to mind.

But who knows. Maybe in person it's a lot better and/or maybe this is still far from the final design. Keeping fingers crossed it's one or the other! Gotta think Porsche will nail it.

Given the fact the only view of the car 99% of other drivers will ever see is the rear, it has to make a good impression.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:57 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,613 Likes on 888 Posts

There is a lot of masking on the diffuser... making it appear as if it is a tumor. It will more than likely be black as with all GT cars diffusers. I am not worried at all... majority will be pleasantly surprised... just as the 981, it will be shared with the GT4. I find it comical that opinions have escalated over time, but the spy pics have been of the same car and same Camo for a loooooooong time now. This has been sooooooooo drawn out.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
It's that rear diffuser.
IMO, it's more than the diffuser. The only thing that looks good is are the streamliners carried over from the 981. The rear lights are awful, as is the spoiler, which no longer integrates and just looks slapped on. And the big crease with the red reflectors adds more busy-ness to the rear of the car, and the split exhaust just does not look good at all. Then there's the diffuser... If the diffuser turns out to be way smaller and the exhaust turns out to be similar to the 981, they may be able to salvage some semblance of a decent look, but as it sits in that form, it's a major step down aesthetically from the 981. Then again, the regular 718 is to the regular 981 as well.

My wife and I were walking in at Werks Reunion and there was a really good looking red 981 Cayman parked a row over, which I pointed out to my wife, as it looked similar to my previous '14 981S. We were looking at the rear of the car. Immediately to the left of it was an identically colored 718. My wife turns to me and says 'what kind of car is that car to the left?'... When I told her it was a Porsche, her response was 'ewww'. 'Exactly' was my response.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
It's that rear diffuser. I assumed from early mule shots that it was cobbled together for preliminary aero testing purposes and the final result would be much cleaner and better integrated into the rear bumper design, but over time as we've seen more and more later stage mules, it hasn't changed and now I'm starting to think this will be the final look. Just not Porsche-like. More like the tacked on stuff I see on high-schooler-owned Civics and Subies.

And most of these mule shots have been of black cars. If that diffuser stands out as it does on these black cars, can you imagine what it will look like on Racing Yellow or any bright color? The proverbial sore thumb comes to mind.

But who knows. Maybe in person it's a lot better and/or maybe this is still far from the final design. Keeping fingers crossed it's one or the other! Gotta think Porsche will nail it.

Given the fact the only view of the car 99% of other drivers will ever see is the rear, it has to make a good impression.
I agree Nick. All the test mules we've seen have been black and I suspect when we see the car in person it'll be a stunner. Porsche isn't known for producing ugly cars, OK - maybe the Gen 1 pano, but overall they are stunning. We all wait with fingers crossed...
Old 10-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I agree Nick. All the test mules we've seen have been black and I suspect when we see the car in person it'll be a stunner. Porsche isn't known for producing ugly cars, OK - maybe the Gen 1 pano, but overall they are stunning. We all wait with fingers crossed...
Agreed, test mules never do justice to the final product. I’m sure the next generation Spyder will be as incredible looking as the first two.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

If I am not mistaken will all the new gen Spyders come with a backup camera? and as such wouldn't they all then have the wart between the humps?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:47 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
If I am not mistaken will all the new gen Spyders come with a backup camera? and as such wouldn't they all then have the wart between the humps?
Yes on backup cameras. The wart is a satellite radio antenna.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:02 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought from a packaging / options perspective the only way to get the backup camera was to get the SAT radio?
Old 10-01-2018, 03:06 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
I thought from a packaging / options perspective the only way to get the backup camera was to get the SAT radio?
Backup cameras are now mandatory, so not sure if that makes the sat radio standard (not an option) as well.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?