Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 PM
pleasereset
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pitt911
yes
but again will see
Whoopsie?
Old 04-17-2019, 12:28 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,609 Likes on 885 Posts

Interesting that the Speedster’s top is essentially a Spyder top with slightly modified buttresses. Rear view mirror visibility is non existent... and some thought the 981 Spyder’s was bad! $275k!!! Is a hefty price, but the last 997 Speedster was also ridiculously priced. Spyder will be a better, poor mans Speedster. Porsche has to release the Speedster first... so they sell them before the launch of the Spyder... haha.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:30 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

even if it comes with a 3.0L turbo?
Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Spyder will be a better, poor mans Speedster.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JSF101
even if it comes with a 3.0L turbo?
oh yeah, great point... keep forgetting that still is a possibility.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:51 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Someone asked in another thread a while back what the chances are of the car being intro'd at NY and I said zero. Shows you what I know!
That was me you Brat!
Old 04-17-2019, 02:05 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

oh yeah, great point... keep forgetting that still is a possibility.
I'd pay a lot of money for a 718 Boxster if it came with the engine straight out of the 991.2 Carrera/T. I don't really want it to be a Spyder though.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:15 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I'd pay a lot of money for a 718 Boxster if it came with the engine straight out of the 991.2 Carrera/T. I don't really want it to be a Spyder though.
It would have less hp than the 981 Spyder (could be quicker though). Porsche likes incremental hp changes no matter what they do. So a new Spyder will have to have at least 400 hp. So if they took that motor out, they'd have to tweak the power and they won't do that (a bad thing) to the Carrera T.

The 981 Spyder formula was to harvest the current Carrera S motor and brakes. I see this as a better, more viable option. There's little special about the Carrera T's motor. in fact, nothing. It's the final drive change that made a difference between the T and base.

I for one would like Porsche to put a turbo in the new Spyder and GT4 so they don't take away from the 981 versions being NA. If they go NA again, they haven't utilized 4 years of technological change.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:55 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
There's little special about the Carrera T's motor. in fact, nothing.
What makes the Carrera/T's motor so great is the smaller twin turbos making it more responsive than the 991.2 S/GTS with their larger turbos. That kind of responsiveness belongs in the Boxster/Cayman and is missing in the 718 line. Would provide a more pleasing exhaust note in the 718 as well.
One of the things Chris Harris mentioned during his time in the 992 S was that its responsiveness was reminiscent of that of the 991.2 Carrera. That's really good news.

Completely agree with your statement as to why they can't pull the engine from the T and put it in the Spyder. That's why I'd like to see it in a regular 718 (not that I think it would happen).
Old 04-17-2019, 04:48 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

You still might be right... nothing has been confirmed yet. Porsche typically send Press information around midnight PST... unless VAG is doing a special event tonight? Either way we should know within hours if it is debuting at NYIAS.
I guess I was right. No Spyder intro at NY from what I can tell. It's all Speedster.

Interesting that the Speedster’s top is essentially a Spyder top with slightly modified buttresses.
Video of the top being put up courtesy of Rennlister Larryf:

851779C2-B3F4-4186-874F-648AA9EF8CFB-1.mov

Looks like a snafu was encountered.

Same electric latch as on the 981 Spyder and what appears to be similar type buttress attachment points, but in the rear deck lid itself. I guess we'll have to wait to see some clear pics of the Speedster with its roof up.

It's funny because in MotorTrend's article on the Speedster it says:

"Oh, and, you know, there's no roof. Instead, you get a fabric roof folded up in the frunk that you can manually install in the event of rain, as you would on a Boxster Spyder."

Folded up in the frunk? Manually install? When I first read this it made me think the Speedster was getting a 987 Spyder-style roof, except one that stores in the frunk rather than behind the seats as in the 987 Spyder. Clearly this is not the case as the Speedster top does not store in the frunk, but in the well behind the seats as in the Carerra Cab.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/prod...buts-new-york/

$275k!!! Is a hefty price, but the last 997 Speedster was also ridiculously priced. Spyder will be a better, poor mans Speedster.
Speedster is a limited edition collectable that will sit in garages and collections and never see the light of day (except for Andrew who will likely drive the wheels off it on multiple cross-country trips!). Spyder, in contrast, is a driver you can use and enjoy without having to freak out about mileage, chips, dings, etc.

Wondering if the high price of the Speedster will now drive more traffic to the 982 Spyder thus causing more Spyder demand? Those who were contemplating a Speedster but are put off by the high price may now be thinking, and rightfully so, that the Spyder is a damn attractive drop top alternative at half or a third of the price. I don't think 982 Spyders will languish on dealer lots or be discounted as was sometimes the case on the 981 Spyder.

Wondering also if the high price of the Speedster foreshadows a significant price increase for the Spyder??

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
That was me you Brat!
Sorry, Andrew!

If the Speedster doesn't work out, hoping you will come back into the Spyder's web. You know you can probably get two Spyders (at least) for the price of one Speedster and I know how you like having two Spyders Just something to keep in mind!
Old 04-17-2019, 05:04 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Suicide Jockey,
All very good points... I think you are right about the Speedster being a great lure to the Spyder.
Thanks for sharing the vid... That roof is really close to the Spyder's... The hatch connector look more hinged/ridged
Old 04-17-2019, 05:07 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey

Sorry, Andrew!

If the Speedster doesn't work out, hoping you will come back into the Spyder's web. You know you can probably get two Spyders (at least) for the price of one Speedster and I know how you like having two Spyders Just something to keep in mind!

You know me too well! I would definitely be up for two more new Spyders! I do NOT care about Turbo, I care about weight! I'm waiting like everyone else. I was really lucky with the 981 spyders. Following Porsche developments has never been more fun imho.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:07 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Not digging the look of the humps on the new Speedster. They look like they're placed on top of the 911 as an afterthought and are not integral to the overall design like they are on a 981 Spyder. JMHO.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:10 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
What makes the Carrera/T's motor so great is the smaller twin turbos making it more responsive than the 991.2 S/GTS with their larger turbos.
I meant nothing special versus the base Carrera... Same motor, just different final gear.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Not digging the look of the humps on the new Speedster. They look like they're placed on top of the 911 as an afterthought and are not integral to the overall design like they are on a 981 Spyder. JMHO.
When it comes to humps, every man has his own personal preferences!

The humps on all modern Speedsters leave much to be desired IMO and I agree 100% that they are not as beautiful or as well-integrated as our Spyder humps.

I dig the concept and idea behind the modern Speedsters, but the execution has always been questionable, dare I say awkward, at least for me. Having said that, this version of the modern Speedster is by far my favorite (notwithstanding my preference that the GT Dept. not dabble in cars of this type).
Old 04-17-2019, 05:44 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
I meant nothing special versus the base Carrera... Same motor, just different final gear.
Ah. Duh. Reading comprehension fail.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?