Notices

982 GT4 Spyder?

 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:27 PM
  #1366  
pleasereset
User
 
pleasereset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by Selo View Post
If I already have a 981 Spyder, will a Backdraft or FFR Cobra feel like junk?
Having experience with both they just don't play in the same league. I own a GT4 and built a 5.0 Coyote powered Mk4 Cobra (with IRS).

The Cobra is viceral, accelerates way harder (440hp and probably 600lb lighter), no electronics whatsoever. Grip can be amazing if the right investments were made.

The GT4 has (some) creature comforts, doesn't make you deaf, has better aero, doesn't make you feel like you are on the verge of dying, ...

Very different experiences that are both amazing in their own right.
pleasereset is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:08 PM
  #1367  
SpyderSenseOC
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SpyderSenseOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 786
Default

Originally Posted by pleasereset View Post
...doesn't make you feel like you are on the verge of dying, ...
I had to laugh at that. An attribute I like in all my cars.
SpyderSenseOC is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:37 AM
  #1368  
Selo
User
 
Selo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 1,210
Default

Originally Posted by pleasereset View Post
Having experience with both they just don't play in the same league. I own a GT4 and built a 5.0 Coyote powered Mk4 Cobra (with IRS).

The Cobra is viceral, accelerates way harder (440hp and probably 600lb lighter), no electronics whatsoever. Grip can be amazing if the right investments were made.

The GT4 has (some) creature comforts, doesn't make you deaf, has better aero, doesn't make you feel like you are on the verge of dying, ...

Very different experiences that are both amazing in their own right.
Thanks for response. Really excited for new Spyder but still a long ways off. So many of the other cars that might be something to play with until it comes out are similar yo Spyder, but not nearly as good. I like the fact that Cobra is in a different league. Picturing it as a Miata with roid rage. Which will be fun, at least for awhile, but if built right hoping it feels solid. By all rights the one I'm buying seems to have been built right, by an aerospace engineer. I guess time will tell. And the one I'm buying isn't such crazy hp that it will be a steer wrassle just to keep it on the road. Shouldn't be.
Selo is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:42 PM
  #1369  
n4v4nod
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
n4v4nod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,696
Default

n4v4nod is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:51 PM
  #1370  
chapmans
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 69
Default

That's horrible. Driver error or mechanical failure?
chapmans is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 06:04 PM
  #1371  
Suicide Jockey
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Suicide Jockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,652
Default

Are you guys reading this translation as a Spyder mule being driven by someone at Porsche at the time of the accident? Seems like it was a factory car given plates and efforts to camouflage model type.

Single car accident so, yes, it appears it was either driver error or a mechanical problem.
Suicide Jockey is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 06:15 PM
  #1372  
CaymanSinAR
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 755
Default

Exactly how I read it.

I wonder what road and weather conditions were at the time.

Awful.
CaymanSinAR is online now  
Old 03-18-2019, 06:27 PM
  #1373  
chapmans
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 69
Default

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR View Post
Exactly how I read it.

I wonder what road and weather conditions were at the time.

Awful.
If you zoom in on the picture you can tell it's pretty wet. Might have just lost the car in the wet.
chapmans is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 06:32 PM
  #1374  
Suicide Jockey
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Suicide Jockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,652
Default

Tragic indeed. I don't know the frequency of Porsche test drivers perishing while driving a prototype, but this single car accident in 2009 tells us this is not an isolated occurrence:

https://www.thelocal.de/20090213/17409
Suicide Jockey is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 06:51 PM
  #1375  
Boxster7
User
 
Boxster7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Devon U.K.
Posts: 196
Default

Shocking accident, with a tragic outcome....
Certainly looks like a mule testing.
Very sad.
Boxster7 is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 10:26 PM
  #1376  
the_rider
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
the_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota
Posts: 863
Default

Terrible and tragic indeed! :-( The car overturned after hitting the guardrail. I'm sure he was belted. There are front and side airbags. Being upside down on a level surface, he would have been protected. But, near the guardrail, the road seems to drop off, causing hard surfaces to intrude into cabin. If there were testing instruments in the cabin, could have become projectiles. Too sad!
the_rider is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 PM
  #1377  
BryanCO
Super User
 
BryanCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,263
Default

Geez. That’s horrible.
BryanCO is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 01:24 AM
  #1378  
Dalema
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Dalema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,285
Default

Oh man - that’s just tragic
Dalema is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:32 AM
  #1379  
CaymanSinAR
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 755
Default

Originally Posted by chapmans View Post
If you zoom in on the picture you can tell it's pretty wet. Might have just lost the car in the wet.
I couldn't tell how much was due to fluids from the car or fluids from the fire/rescue at the accident. Might have also been wet as well.
CaymanSinAR is online now  
Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM
  #1380  
SpyderSenseOC
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SpyderSenseOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 786
Default

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey View Post
Are you guys reading this translation as a Spyder mule being driven by someone at Porsche at the time of the accident? Seems like it was a factory car given plates and efforts to camouflage model type.

Single car accident so, yes, it appears it was either driver error or a mechanical problem.
Tragic.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 03-20-2019 at 03:11 PM.
SpyderSenseOC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: