Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
“gearshift, on which the gears are emblazoned in red”

Finally, the stuff that purist’s dreams are made of.
I just knew that was going to have you rushing out to place a deposit!

I think the T makes it extremely doubtful that Porsche will slice the Boxster lineup even thinner with the intro of an electric top/hump-less NA Spyder. The Spyder variant is the halo Boxster model, a special gen-ending, limited production release that because of its "Spyder" designation is always going to have the styling cues (i.e. roof and humps) we have seen on the 987 and 981 cars, which are designed to harken back to the Spyders of yesteryear. It will always appeal to those who don't mind the manual top (who may be in the minority if judged solely on recent comments in this thread). Personally, I love the idea of the Spyder and I hope Porsche never dilutes the concept by making multiple versions of the car. But who knows . . . months ago I would have never bet on a 718T so who's to say an electric roof Spyder is an impossibility. Those of you in favor of it, keep piping up and pleading your case because Porsche may very well hear you.

If you want an auto top, as you mentioned, there are now 4 versions to pick from whereas for those poor unfortunate souls such as myself that prefer a lightweight and visually exotic manual top, we only have one variant from which to choose. Life can be so damn unfair!
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

There’s still a sliver of hope for mankind as that Boxster in the N-ring video didn’t sound anything like the fart-box from the T promo video. Plus it looked like it had more “go” than mere 300hp. Fingers crossed for a big NA motor Boxster R.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:26 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
There’s still a sliver of hope for mankind as that Boxster in the N-ring video didn’t sound anything like the fart-box from the T promo video. Plus it looked like it had more “go” than mere 300hp. Fingers crossed for a big NA motor Boxster R.
Yup. Said it before and I'll say it again: if Porsche releases whatever was in that N'ring video I'll sell my 981 GTS for it.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:50 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,595 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I just knew that was going to have you rushing out to place a deposit!

I think the T makes it extremely doubtful that Porsche will slice the Boxster lineup even thinner with the intro of an electric top/hump-less NA Spyder. The Spyder variant is the halo Boxster model, a special gen-ending, limited production release that because of its "Spyder" designation is always going to have the styling cues (i.e. roof and humps) we have seen on the 987 and 981 cars, which are designed to harken back to the Spyders of yesteryear. It will always appeal to those who don't mind the manual top (who may be in the minority if judged solely on recent comments in this thread). Personally, I love the idea of the Spyder and I hope Porsche never dilutes the concept by making multiple versions of the car. But who knows . . . months ago I would have never bet on a 718T so who's to say an electric roof Spyder is an impossibility. Those of you in favor of it, keep piping up and pleading your case because Porsche may very well hear you.

If you want an auto top, as you mentioned, there are now 4 versions to pick from whereas for those poor unfortunate souls such as myself that prefer a lightweight and visually exotic manual top, we only have one variant from which to choose. Life can be so damn unfair!
Honestly think most that love the manual roof don't comment because its a subjective discussion that goes round and round very similar to PDK vs. Manual or LWB vs. Sofas. Seems to be revisited whenever someone new joins the discussion. Whole point of the Spyder is to be engaged with the car and the environment that surrounds you. Not everyone understands that... and that is fine. Spyder is essentially an 911 Speedster version of the 982, but easier to obtain. That roof will also be a manual top... and I'm sure the same people will complain why they don't offer a motorized version as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:24 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Honestly think most that love the manual roof don't comment because its a subjective discussion that goes round and round very similar to PDK vs. Manual or LWB vs. Sofas. Seems to be revisited whenever someone new joins the discussion.
Without those discussions, what would be the point of having these forums? We know that Porsche watches what's discussed here. Why not let them know how some of their customers think? And for the 12th time, no one is attacking the Spyder or suggesting that it gets discontinued. There obviously is a market (probably much larger than Spyder's) for a big NA engined Boxster with performance goodies -- an "auto-top Spyder", if you will. Call it Boxster R and leave the Spyder for the fans of humps and a manual top.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:30 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

I feel a bit more connected to my car when operating the manual top. Don’t get me wrong, the automatic feature in my targa is quite exquisite, but, there is something to be said about counting the steps as you go through the dance of operating a manual top. 1234 1234. Spyder was 12345, and the Speedster was more of an 8 step process.

Tomato toe-mah-toe.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:34 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
There obviously is a market (probably much larger than Spyder's) for a big NA engined Boxster with performance goodies -- an "auto-top Spyder", if you will. Call it Boxster R and leave the Spyder for the fans of humps and a manual top.
Now we’re talking, bring it on!
Old 12-19-2018, 12:41 AM
hf1
Banned

Better yet, offer a Touring option for the Spyder just like there is a Touring option for the GT3.
GT3 Touring = Wingless GT3
Spyder Touring = Humpless Spyder with an auto-top. That’s exactly how that N-ring Boxster sounded on the video.

I remember when a wingless GT3 was considered to be an abomination.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:38 AM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Honestly think most that love the manual roof don't comment because its a subjective discussion that goes round and round very similar to PDK vs. Manual or LWB vs. Sofas. Seems to be revisited whenever someone new joins the discussion. Whole point of the Spyder is to be engaged with the car and the environment that surrounds you. Not everyone understands that... and that is fine. Spyder is essentially an 911 Speedster version of the 982, but easier to obtain. That roof will also be a manual top... and I'm sure the same people will complain why they don't offer a motorized version as well.
Agree completely. Even worse, the 918 Spyder roof has to be manually removed and put in the frunk which makes it pretty much useless for storage too but do people bother banging on about it coz it disrupts their grocery run??? It's not the end of the world if the roof stays up for some trips... plus it makes open top trips even more special when one does remove the roof. Yep, not everyone understands- good luck to them... but rather than go keyboard warrior I just get on with enjoying what is on offer.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yeah, that was a few months after I bought it used with 43 miles on it and had to store it until I had room, but thanks for stalking! The car currently has just over 3,000 miles on it and will likely cross 10,000 by next summer unless we have a rainy winter.
Don't have time for that. But you are like that shmee guy on youtube I couldn't dodge: all over the threads I follow(be it 718 991T spyder whatever) making all these endless same'o 'comments' you have on the newer models, it's kind of hard not to recognize when I saw the feeler (Yes I'm always considering getting a spyder so I just click any marketplace thread with spyder in title). It was like 'hmmm isn't this the big talker got opinions on all the new things yet putting up a feeler for his beloved spyder? wait a minute, only 3 digit miles?(couldn't remember exactly but was shocked as I thought you are the 1st owner)

Good job logging that 2xxx miles for this year. Maybe report back to the 'Spyder in the wild' thread when crossing that 10k mark as I watch that one too. Keep it up!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 400 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
I do noticed the no-humps look. So be it a T or spyder mule, this indicates the coming spyder should at least sound like that(as I don't expect they make a spyder sound worse than a T if this is what the mule is) Turbo or NA, 4 or 6, I don't care as long as they sound like/betten than this & out performs the 718GTS by a stretch.
Well that didn't take long..........The Boxster/Cayman T is official and they will have the base model 300HP 2.0. It appears that Porsche may have done something to improve the exhaust sound assuming that test mule video a few post back labeled as a T is really so.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/p...r-718-t-debut/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...yman-t-purist/
Old 12-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Don't have time for that. But you are like that shmee guy on youtube I couldn't dodge: all over the threads I follow(be it 718 991T spyder whatever) making all these endless same'o 'comments' you have on the newer models, it's kind of hard not to recognize when I saw the feeler (Yes I'm always considering getting a spyder so I just click any marketplace thread with spyder in title). It was like 'hmmm isn't this the big talker got opinions on all the new things yet putting up a feeler for his beloved spyder? wait a minute, only 3 digit miles?(couldn't remember exactly but was shocked as I thought you are the 1st owner)

Good job logging that 2xxx miles for this year. Maybe report back to the 'Spyder in the wild' thread when crossing that 10k mark as I watch that one too. Keep it up!

Old 12-19-2018, 09:28 AM
hf1
Banned

The N-ring Boxster from the video had a center exhaust and sounded nothing like the T which just got announced. My guess (and hope) is that it’s the new Spyder Touring (a la GT3 Touring). Manual top Spyder purists should rejoice if this Touring option was offered. At least 70% of Spyders will be ordered with the Touring option, making their manual-top humped Spyders even more special and exotic. Wins all around!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:35 AM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by DR1VEN
it makes open top trips even more special when one does remove the roof.
Yes, when things become too convenient they start to feel less special. I sometimes bang my head with a brick just to appreciate how special it feels when I stop.

Yep, not everyone understands- good luck to them... but rather than go keyboard warrior I just get on with enjoying what is on offer.
I can multitask. Besides, it’s winter up here and car toys are in hibernation. Might as well work on what will be on offer when it warms up.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

A "Spyder R"? Nah... That's too vanilla for the Spyder. The Spyders have always been purists cars, with less weight, more power, and ultimately less convenience for a more intense driving experience. Are they for everyone? Well, no. That's the point of them. You wear them like a badge of honor, like a fixy bike, or a cafe racer that is oddly uncomfortable to ride yet oh so cool. So a "Spyder R"? I just can't see it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?