Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Old 12-02-2018, 12:29 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

If Porsche made an auto-top version of the Spyder (call it Boxster R, or whatever), it would outsell the Spyder by at least 3:1. There’s zero reason for a GT performance roadster to be exclusively offered with a fussy manual top.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:02 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Weight.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:43 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Totally agree about that fussy roof. There's zero reason why the next car should have the one single design feature shared by the previous two generations of cars, which makes all Spyders utterly unique, exotic and sexy. No, this time around Porsche should instead break with traditional on the 982 and go with a less attractive and heavier fully electric top, which runs contrary to the car's ethos, to ensure the Spyder blends in as much as possible so it becomes totally indistinguishable from the other Boxster variants. While they're at it, Porsche should also get rid of those fussy streamliners, too, which are purely cosmetic. In fact, Porsche would probably sell 3x more Spyders if they would just water down the car's design to the point where it is identical in appearance to the base, S and GTS models.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Totally agree about that fussy roof. There's zero reason why the next car should have the one single design feature shared by the previous two generations of cars, which makes all Spyders utterly unique, exotic and sexy. No, this time around Porsche should instead break with traditional on the 982 and go with a less attractive and heavier fully electric top, which runs contrary to the car's ethos, to ensure the Spyder blends in as much as possible so it becomes totally indistinguishable from the other Boxster variants. While they're at it, Porsche should also get rid of those fussy streamliners, too, which are purely cosmetic. In fact, Porsche would probably sell 3x more Spyders if they would just water down the car's design to the point where it is identical in appearance to the base, S and GTS models.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 AM
hf1
Banned

My suggestion assumed that they continue to make the Spyder (hence the different name). Call its auto-top version Boxster R or GTS or GT (or whatever), charge the same (or less, to keep Spyder fans happy). Outsell the Spyder 3:1, make the Spyder look even more rare and exotic, make more $, and make more buyers happy. Win-win-win, all around.

The weight diff is only 20lbs and that only refers to the top itself (motors and insulation). The larger Spyder trunk cover would weigh more than the standard Boxster one if both were made of the same material, if it’s not already heavier as it is. Finally, they could take the roof motors and sound insulation out of the Boxster R top and make it manual and lighter than the Spyder’s, Miata-style — open and close it manually without leaving your seat. People who prefer form over function could still choose the Spyder. Beauty of the free market.

Last edited by hf1; 12-02-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

best post I’ve read on rennlist in a hot minute...
Old 12-02-2018, 11:18 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Slippery slope. How about a retractable hardtop? Nope. I say go back to the original. Once you’ve done a few times it’s really not that bad.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

If I recall correctly, 981 GT4 sales outnumbered Spyder sales by roughly 3 to 1. GT4's sold like hotcakes, often at a premium, while Spyders sometimes languished on dealer lots, some sold at a discount.

Question: Might we see a reversal this time around with 982 Spyder sales outpacing those of its hardtop sibling?

It will be interesting to see. The Spyder is no longer the unknown/unheralded entity it was when last introduced almost four year ago, having since achieved deserved notoriety as a canyon carver par excellence. The cat is thus out of the bag this time around and the secret is no more. Among those in the know, the Spyder is no longer viewed as merely a "GT4 lite." The car has stepped out from the long shadows cast by the GT4 and established itself in its own right. This should bode well for 982 Spyder sales IMO.
As others have stated, convertible vs hardtop was and will continue to be a/the key differentiator between the cars and will most certainly effect volumes. And the Spyder’s top configuration, while making it unique, also reduces the potential buyers.

I suspect that Porsche moved the Spyder closer to the GT4 as they expect the result is that they will sell more Spyders. If the roof configuration holds back sales, I would expect that to also evolve (might be in future generations).
Old 12-02-2018, 12:47 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Slippery slope. How about a retractable hardtop? Nope. I say go back to the original.
As I said, the Spyder top would stay the same -- no need to change it. OK, maybe do a super-exclusive limited edition run with a third clip-on buttress in the middle so you'd have to hump the hump in order to clip it on/off. Imagine the added exclusivity, purist involvement and bonding...
Old 12-02-2018, 12:54 PM
hf1
Banned

Cause this is just not purist enough...

Old 12-02-2018, 02:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I don’t disagree that the next gen Spyder could benefit from a similar top as the Miata but it would definitely lose the humps to make it work. The beauty of the original Spyder top is the true lightweight aspect which even the Miata top can’t match. There’s also the simplicity and the fact that there is no mechanical maintenance of the top, it’s truly form following function. Then there’s the added benefit of making a cool looking rear lid that actually does weigh less when you take into account all the other hatch area that goes away. No more mechanical wing either, just a permanent lightweight wing, further weight savings. All of this lost because Porsche listened to the more vocal buyers instead of listening to the enthusiasts. I guess the vocal buyers are the majority, or maybe not because the 981 production numbers weren’t all that different than the 987. Maybe Porsche doesn’t want to sell more than a 1000 Spyders?
Old 12-02-2018, 02:59 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Maybe Porsche doesn’t want to sell more than a 1000 Spyders?
And that would be fine, though I don't see why Porsche wouldn't want to ALSO sell 3000 Boxster R (same as Spyders except for the simpler auto or manual top)? OK, maybe 1500 R, 500 Spyders cause that's what the market would bear. This would make the Spyders MORE exclusive (less of them around) AND allow Porsche to sell 2x more GT roadsters (at GT-level prices). As I said, win-win-win all around.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

And let me throw this log on the fire - what about the NEXT Spyder coming in like the CGT with a 2-piece Targa top that fits in the frunk. Seriously folks - how cool would that be? Simplicity at it's finest, keeping the power domes etc... Grant Larson at Spokane Parade did comment (Grant and I are like this - ha ha - fingers crossed ) that there was not enough room to accommodate such an idea.

And... all this talk of a simple regular top? Don't forget the original "Spyder" DNA came from the open carriage with the "Spider" like tonneau cover that draped down covering the cab with 6 legs that were fastened under tension. The 987.2 mirrors this nicely, the 981 less so, and a regular top on a Spyder, well not at all.

I think Porsche can manufacture Spyders without a whole lot of re-jigging of the factory. If they only sell 1000 worldwide then I think they are profitable enough to do this and that's what I DIG about this company. They love producing unusual cars. Why else would they, to the awe of the automotive industry, buck trend and bring BACK the 6MT for the 991.2 GT3.

It's not that Porsche is a brand - it's that they HAVE brand - racing heritage, struggle, triumphs, losses, the confidence to lead the industry through uncertain times, the ability to take risk and take it again etc... That's why many many Porsche owners, who own companies, have our souls out on line, taking risks etc... relate so strongly with Porsche. We are kindred spirits.

And a Spyder top? Let's hope PAG eventually makes something even simpler, with radio and AC delete, some badass LW CF seats, and some iteration of a beastly GT engine with a LW flywheel that revs to the moon, a schnickity 6 speed MT and a tighty, nibly suspension. Whoa. I rest my case...
Old 12-02-2018, 11:26 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Seems like the picture in post #852 may solve the convertible top profile controversy.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:39 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,595 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Seems like the picture in post #852 may solve the convertible top profile controversy.
Solve what? It’s the same top as the 981. Nothing new... We all knew the roof carries over. The 982/718 roof is the exact same as the 981 too. Here is the photo with the contrast adjusted and you can see the buttress attachments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?