Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Old 02-03-2018, 11:24 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Seriously doubt it's the old 987.2 tent design. Cool design but will kill Porsche's ability to sell them.
It's not. It's the same design as is on our current Spyders ie the 981.

if the car does debut at the LA show I am definitely flying out to see it in the flesh.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:54 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

When I look at these pics, it looks like, well..... it looks like my 981 Spyder with side scoops. Even if it has a detuned GT3 4.0, why would anyone who already has a nice 981 Spyder make the change instead of adding sidescoops, if he or she likes the look, and a plenum/tb powerkit of some sort? I'll be saving my dough, I think, and springing for either a GT3 or 982 GT4. Truthfully, though, I'm thinking a NA 4.0 GT4 sounds like a more fun car for street and track than the GT3.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

On the Alaskan mule there is still no GT-style front grill air intake below the frunk lid like there is on the 981 Spyder/GT4.

Without:

With:

Yes, I know, it's still early and bumpers are probably yet to be finalized. I just find it interesting and wonder if the 981 Spyder will remain the only non-GT car equipped with the center grill intake that is a distinguishing feature of the GT cars.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:57 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
........... Even if it has a detuned GT3 4.0, why would anyone who already has a nice 981 Spyder make the change instead of adding sidescoops, if he or she likes the look, and a plenum/tb powerkit of some sort? ................................. I'm thinking a NA 4.0 GT4 sounds like a more fun car for street and track than the GT3.
982 Spyder will make 981 ..... wanting! We have already seen how 982 upped the ante over 981 in almost all areas of driving experience, if you leave aside highly contested/debated engine/sound variables. Of course, one would argue those variables impact the emotional appeal of a sports car, though many seem to love 982s for what they are. Now, in my off-the-cuff estimates, the Spyder will have following differentiations:
- A GT car! Many don't seem to be excited about this prospect. To me, an open top GT car is a dream! Always wanted a GT3; but, just can't drive a closed-top car!
- Steering from GT4. Those who have had both (and still have) or driven preferred the steering from GT4. I have a feeling it will be on par with the GT3, though 997.2/987.2 still would have it beat for the feel.
- Stiffer chassis.
- Highly likely to be detuned GT3 engine! Say no more! If it gets at least 8k RPM, damn, what a treat would that be!!
- Transmission/Shifter from GT3. If the engine is from GT3, then these two are shoo-in. As good as Spyder's shifter is, 911R/GT3's is regarded as better!
- Myriad improvements.

As you can see, I haven't mentioned about power. I don't care how much power it makes, since I don't track. 981 offers more than enough for the street. So, to me, 982 Spyder is a significant offering from Porsche. In particular now, as a (quite possibly) swan song for the NA era. Can't wait! Of course, for many, none of these would matter. That's perfectly alright.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
982 Spyder will make 981 ..... wanting! We have already seen how 982 upped the ante over 981 in almost all areas of driving experience, if you leave aside highly contested/debated engine/sound variables. Of course, one would argue those variables impact the emotional appeal of a sports car, though many seem to love 982s for what they are. Now, in my off-the-cuff estimates, the Spyder will have following differentiations:
- A GT car! Many don't seem to be excited about this prospect. To me, an open top GT car is a dream! Always wanted a GT3; but, just can't drive a closed-top car!
- Steering from GT4. Those who have had both (and still have) or driven preferred the steering from GT4. I have a feeling it will be on par with the GT3, though 997.2/987.2 still would have it beat for the feel.
- Stiffer chassis.
- Highly likely to be detuned GT3 engine! Say no more! If it gets at least 8k RPM, damn, what a treat would that be!!
- Transmission/Shifter from GT3. If the engine is from GT3, then these two are shoo-in. As good as Spyder's shifter is, 911R/GT3's is regarded as better!
- Myriad improvements.

As you can see, I haven't mentioned about power. I don't care how much power it makes, since I don't track. 981 offers more than enough for the street. So, to me, 982 Spyder is a significant offering from Porsche. In particular now, as a (quite possibly) swan song for the NA era. Can't wait! Of course, for many, none of these would matter. That's perfectly alright.
Henry, your points are well taken, but I find the Spyder a perfect balance of a pure driving car. However, I sold my RS and kept the Spyder for many reasons we all know. I wouldn't want a Spyder stripped of noise deadinf material and a veg stiff chasse, not if you like that for daily driver it's ok. My old RS needed more track tim, but I don't have the time so I sold it so it could be enjoyed. To make a Spyder a GT car I think it loses some of its uniqueness as a all around car. Now I'm ok with the 4L motor, but to make it stiff and harsh it change so the character. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

. . . If it gets at least 8k RPM, damn, what a treat would that be!!
Spoken like a man that redlines every shift. Oh, wait . . . you ARE that guy
Old 02-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
On the Alaskan mule there is still no GT-style front grill air intake below the frunk lid like there is on the 981 Spyder/GT4.

Without:

With:

Yes, I know, it's still early and bumpers are probably yet to be finalized. I just find it interesting and wonder if the 981 Spyder will remain the only non-GT car equipped with the center grill intake that is a distinguishing feature of the GT cars.
Dang it that's a beautiful car.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787

................... To make a Spyder a GT car I think it loses some of its uniqueness as a all around car. Now I'm ok with the 4L motor, but to make it stiff and harsh it change so the character. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out.
Maverick, I agree; Spyder is perfectly balanced for the street. You would know in particular, since you have had a RS and drive a 458 Spider. But, as you know, Porsche is a master of choosing the right kind of tuning for each model. It's actually genius how well they get it right. Even if the Spyder turns out to be a GT product, you can expect a subtle differentiation between GT4 and Spyder. GT4, being a tin top, would be tuned for track; Spyder, for the street. I expect the Spyder to retain the back-road-thrashing, street-friendly characteristics even if shaped by GT Division. Don't pay attention to the unverified reports of reduced cabin insulation, etc. It's not gonna be any different from 981. It will be a 981 on steroid, yet one could DD.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Spoken like a man that redlines every shift. Oh, wait . . . you ARE that guy
Guilty as charged!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Maverick, I agree; Spyder is perfectly balanced for the street. You would know in particular, since you have had a RS and drive a 458 Spider. But, as you know, Porsche is a master of choosing the right kind of tuning for each model. It's actually genius how well they get it right. Even if the Spyder turns out to be a GT product, you can expect a subtle differentiation between GT4 and Spyder. GT4, being a tin top, would be tuned for track; Spyder, for the street. I expect the Spyder to retain the back-road-thrashing, street-friendly characteristics even if shaped by GT Division. Don't pay attention to the unverified reports of reduced cabin insulation, etc. It's not gonna be any different from 981. It will be a 981 on steroid, yet one could DD.

Guilty as charged!

Agree all good points. Will see how it shapes out, my guess is if they do add the 4L engine it will be just an upgrade and not a GT product. If a GT product it will be the first GT convertible which I think they will never do to protect the GT brand. Great news all around with the new RS being released to see what’s coming. I’m on the sidelines for a while all three garage bays are full, and I have nothing to sell except the M4 which I hate .....the wife gets a GLE AMG for a DD and it’s a wrap. Something really has to wow me to sell the Spyder(:
Old 02-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yup, and I don't think it bodes well for those hoping the .2 GT3 motor is going to wind up in the 718 GT4/Spyder. My money is on both of the latter cars being turbocharged.

+1
Old 02-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More garbage reporting with no sources says that the new GT3 will be turbo'd.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/ne...-transmission/
Old 02-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Not sure when it will happen, but at some point in time it will have to so the GT3 racing department can compete. This motor in a NA form will never push 600 hp which is needed in the racing world to win. Ferrari bit the bullet with the 488 to go next gen .........love the NA motors not sure how much time is left to buy them? Time will tell ......who could have imagined a turbo 911 other than the real turbo version?
Old 02-04-2018, 01:07 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,595 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by Biochemlab
More garbage reporting with no sources says that the new GT3 will be turbo'd.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/ne...-transmission/
IMHO the next 992 GT3 will be a turbo. That is 2-3 years away though.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:31 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

- Stiffer chassis.
- Myriad improvements.

Pretty much in the same boat as you. I am hoping that is what Porsche does.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Personally I would like to see the next Spyder get more serious about weight loss. Carbon body panels, lightweight exhaust and other weight savings. That and better gearing to match up with the engine would have a huge impact on how the car drives.

We already know the top won’t be changing so no chance of seeing weight loss there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?