Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-4-0-gt4-gt4rs-spyder-25th-anniversary-255/)
-   -   982 GT4 Spyder? (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-4-0-gt4-gt4rs-spyder-25th-anniversary/1044676-982-gt4-spyder.html)

spyderphile 08-16-2018 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by NelsonF (Post 15220874)

Note the larger PCCB from the GT4 vs smaller ones used on previous Spyder so a bit heavier. Hopefully justified by the increase in power. Hope the GT4 suspension bits are also carried over.

Essentially, it's gonna be an open top GT4! In other words, a GT, which the 981 should have been! :jumper:

Suicide Jockey 08-16-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by the_rider (Post 15220931)
Essentially, it's gonna be an open top GT4! In other words, a GT, which the 981 should have been! :jumper:

Can't totally agree with that, Henry. Not sure the 981 would be the car it is, with the playful handling it has, if GT had breathed on it. And I'm still not thrilled with the idea of the GT Dept. cranking out topless cars (like a Speedster, GT3 and/or Spyder). End of an era IMO and a watering down of what GT has always stood for, but time marches on and there are narrow market niches to exploit a la BMW so, hey, let's slice the motorsport pie into finer segments and see if we can't create a need where none currently exists, i.e., roofless track cars (that will never see a track). :(

Design-wise, the rear diffuser on the 982 has always given me pause and been the most controversial aspect of the new car's styling. Was hoping it would be better integrated in the final version and not appear to be so "tacked on."

Definitely a more aggressive appearance on the 982, at least to my eye. Will have to wait to see the two cars side-by-side in person, but the 981 strikes me as svelte, graceful, elegant, and downright sexy, whereas the 982 appears to me more brutish, more butch, more in-your-face like it's on steroids. The 981 has the body of a decathlete - lean and sinewy. The 982 has the body of 100m sprinter - bulging muscles and throbbing neck veins. I'm probably over exaggerating the visual differences, but they are there. Personally, I love both looks. Might have to give the nod to the 981 on the rear end, unless the 982's diffuser turns out differently.

Mechanically, the 982 will provide a noticeably different driving experience IMO. Certainly more power, more brakes, more rubber, more track-oriented suspension I'm guessing. Just a more "serious" car in general with grip galore and if that's what you're looking for I'm sure this car will deliver in spades.

It's been fun watching the development of the new car. It will be a beast, with a price tag to match me thinks, and it is only going to add to the mystique of the entire Spyder range. Those in line for the 982 are in store for something different from the 981, but undoubtedly very special in its own right.

I'm certainly bias, but the Spyder range in the Porsche line-up is just so damned special. Having said that, the entire Boxster lineup is in a class of its own in this market segment. So much love for Boxsters! :rockon:

spyderphile 08-17-2018 12:36 AM

Totally agree with your sentiments, Nick, regardless of my preferences. There are many others who might agree with you. Here is my rational, if that's possible when it comes Porsche sports cars: I'm a massive fan of Porsche GTs. GT3 is the only 911 I care for (with no offence intended to non-GT 911 drivers). There is only one reason I don't have a GT3: just don't have a use for a tin-top car! I'm a hardcore open-top guy. So, an open-top GT is a ride I've been waiting for! I'am not in the tax bracket for a C GT (yet!); and, 991 Speedster may be unobtainable. Besides, as we all know, Spyder is the perfect balance of all key ingredients, for the street. Well, almost. So, Spyder going GT is my dream ride!

One thing you may have overlooked in your analysis: Though Spyder is expected to be an open-top GT4, I fully expect it to maintain an identity of its own. The tuning will be different from GT4, which is track-focused. They may share the underpinnings; but, their primary objectives will be different. As we know, Porsche is legendary in tuning a model for a specific purpose. Remember these statements when the car is launched and first drive reports come out. Feel free to call me out, either way! :cheers:

Yeah, we can't make any conclusion on styling based on protos. Sure, there might be indicators. But, Porsche can pull a blinder at launch! It's gonna be kick-ass! The only thing I'm worried about now is the damn sound! Everything else seems to be coming along just fine.

Suicide Jockey 08-17-2018 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by the_rider (Post 15222545)
. . . . just don't have a use for a tin-top car! I'm a hardcore open-top guy.

Ditto :thumbup: Perhaps a preference shared by many bikers.

Originally Posted by the_rider (Post 15222545)
So, an open-top GT is a ride I've been waiting for! . . . . So, Spyder going GT is my dream ride!

If it is a GT then, indeed, your ship has most definitely come in :cheers:

Mark Dreyer 08-17-2018 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by the_rider (Post 15220931)

I question what GT parts would bring to the table in terms of improvement over the 981 as a fun street car. As per the brakes, I tracked my Spyder once at Sebring, and the OEM brakes are just as good as what I have in my race car. A pro coach once remarked that my race car brakes were as good as what’s in a Cup car. I drove a GT4 once and didn’t feel the brakes were as good as what’s in the Spyder. I’m sure they are and just have a different feel.

NelsonF 08-17-2018 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer (Post 15222790)

I question what GT parts would bring to the table in terms of improvement over the 981 as a fun street car. As per the brakes, I tracked my Spyder once at Sebring, and the OEM brakes are just as good as what I have in my race car. A pro coach once remarked that my race car brakes were as good as what’s in a Cup car. I drove a GT4 once and didn’t feel the brakes were as good as what’s in the Spyder. I’m sure they are and just have a different feel.

Yes, I agree on the Spyder brakes. I have the PCCB's on my 981Spyder and feel they are outstanding. I'm noting pics of the new version with PCCB come from the GT4 and are the larger, heavier PCCB units vs whats on the current Spyder. Hoping this along with the power increase and hopefully additional GT suspension mods move the game forward for the Spyder. However, this is a very big ask given the overall street balance/feel that gives the current car the special appeal that owners love about the car. We will see if this is the case within the next yr.

spyderphile 08-17-2018 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey (Post 15222667)
Ditto :thumbup: Perhaps a preference shared by many bikers.

.........If it is a GT then, indeed, your ship has most definitely come in :cheers:

You know it! As bikers, we enjoy being part of the elements. So, a tin-top is never gonna cut it, even if it's called GT3 or Scuderia! And, I can't wait to drive an open-top GT!

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer (Post 15222790)
I question what GT parts would bring to the table in terms of improvement over the 981 as a fun street car. ...........

That's a good, valid question. Here is how I answer: You know the phrase, 'we don't know what we are missing'? We don't know what it is we want until we get it. We may not be able to name or quantify it; yet, when we experience it, we will know. As with any special Porsche, there is no single component or group of options that enhance the driving experience. It is the overall package. It is not the brakes or suspension or chassis tuning, etc. It is how everything coming together in a cohesive, collective way that enhances the overall experience. It's that cliche: The Whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Except, in Porsche World, it's not a cliche!

2XIPA 08-17-2018 06:08 PM

Bring on all the GT goodies. I want a superior AX car. As far as looks I still find my 987 Spyder as best.

Archimedes 08-17-2018 07:03 PM

I'd love a little more grip in my 981 Spyder, but not at the expense of wider wheels/tires or any reduction in ride quality. Wouldn't mind a little more low end torque, but don't feel the need for anything more on top. The car's plenty quick for what it is. If they do actually put a lot of GT parts in the new one, it's really a different car with a somewhat different purpose.

tq.3z 08-17-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 15224496)
I'd love a little more grip in my 981 Spyder, but not at the expense of wider wheels/tires or any reduction in ride quality. Wouldn't mind a little more low end torque, but don't feel the need for anything more on top. The car's plenty quick for what it is. If they do actually put a lot of GT parts in the new one, it's really a different car with a somewhat different purpose.

I used to complain about this because of the sizing. But I've never had anyone in another Porsche come close to me on a backroad. The best part is the look on their faces when they are glancing over the car and thinking "Wait a minute, only a 265 in the rear?"

Priceless.

The balance of the Spyder is unmatched. Short of a 458 you won't get anything like this out of the box, and that's about as high praise as it will get.

Marine Blue 08-17-2018 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 15224496)

More grip would definitely be one of the advantages of a GT version of the Spyder. The primary issue with the Boxster is the lack of flexibility when performing an aggressive alignment. The suspension configuration prevents dialing in the right amount of camber and other adjustments which are needed to increase grip and dial out some of the understeer our cars have. A GT version would give you the right suspension components to dial in the car however you want which is a win in my book. Hopefully they add some adjustment without losing sight of the lightweight/fun feel of the Spyder.

BryanCO 08-17-2018 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey (Post 15222667)
Ditto :thumbup: Perhaps a preference shared by many bikers.:

Originally Posted by the_rider (Post 15224262)
You know it! As bikers, we enjoy being part of the elements. So, a tin-top is never gonna cut it, even if it's called GT3 or Scuderia! And, I can't wait to drive an open-top GT.

While I love roadsters, this motorcyclist always chooses a ‘tin top’ for a sports car.

Mark Dreyer 08-18-2018 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 15224543)

More grip would definitely be one of the advantages of a GT version of the Spyder. The primary issue with the Boxster is the lack of flexibility when performing an aggressive alignment. The suspension configuration prevents dialing in the right amount of camber and other adjustments which are needed to increase grip and dial out some of the understeer our cars have. A GT version would give you the right suspension components to dial in the car however you want which is a win in my book. Hopefully they add some adjustment without losing sight of the lightweight/fun feel of the Spyder.

yes, and I felt this difference when tracking it at Sebring that one time. My 986S with the adjustable suspension components is better in the turns. However, on the street, the Spyder is perfection in the fun department.

JIMMY JAMES 08-18-2018 07:53 AM

The spy pics here are actually pretty good...except for the gigantic watermark in the middle of them! :rolleyes:

https://www.autogespot.com/porsche-7...der/2018/08/18

NelsonF 08-18-2018 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES (Post 15225417)
The spy pics here are actually pretty good...except for the gigantic watermark in the middle of them! :rolleyes:
https://www.autogespot.com/porsche-7...der/2018/08/18

Looks like it gained a little weight. Hoping the p/w ratio has improved but most of all that has not lost that special Spyder handling/feel. It also seems that color choice might play a bigger factor.